• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

You can't make it up fast enough. Hybrid vehicles TOO QUIET!

S
Dec 29, 2001
Brainerd,MN
(From an engineering mag I sub. to.)
(Maybe put a cardboard flapper on spoked wheels. LOL :D )

Japan may add noise to quiet hybrid cars for safety

Ecnmag.com - July 05, 2009

(AP) Japan's near-silent hybrid cars have been called dangerous by the vision-impaired and some users, prompting a government review on whether to add a noise-making device, according to an official.

The petrol-electric vehicles, which in recent months have become the country's top-selling autos, hum along almost soundlessly when they are switched from fuel to battery mode.

"We have received opinions from automobile users and vision-impaired people that they feel hybrid vehicles are dangerous," a transport ministry official said.

"Blind people depend on sounds when they walk, but there are no engine sounds from hybrid vehicles when running at low speed" and on the electric motor, he said.

The ministry has launched a panel of scholars, vision-impaired groups, consumers, police and the automobile industry to discuss the matter.

"They decided to consider introducing a sound-making function" in petrol-electric hybrids when the 13-member panel held its first meeting Thursday, the official said.

They have not decided on what kind of sound should be used, only that it should induce a response of caution, he said.
"On the other hand, we should pay attention to residents (along roads) as hybrids are excellent in reducing noise," the official added.
The panel is expected to draw up a report by the end of the year. Its proposal will be discussed at the ministry's committee on automobile safety before it could be drafted into legislation.

Toyota Motor launched the world's most popular hybrid, the Prius, in 1997.

A cheaper, revamped Prius, rolled out in Japan in late May, has been a huge hit, drawing orders for 200,000 units, according to Toyota. It recently became the best-selling car in Japan's domestic market.

Last edited:
W
Nov 2, 2001
Boise, Id
There's only one solution, ban all cars.

I remember someone on here stating that their would be someone betch, if engines exhausted rose pedals, and floated 6 inches above mother earth.

So, how do these blind people feel about bicycles and rotating doors and segways? I guess the Harley Riders could always tell the cop, hey, I'm just making sure the blind people hear me coming.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I believe it is more of an issue in busy parking lots... You don't have the ability to hear a car coming up from behind you.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
hell if you can't see why are you driving?

I never hear other cars unless it's a soupcan, missing exhaust or has pipes. I gots my windows up and the tunes on.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I should have clarified... I meant pedestrians in busy parking lots. You know, at the grocery / department stores, malls, sporting events. Next time you are there, try and notice how much sound you hear from all the cars. Not only exhaust sounds, but engine sounds, fan sounds...

What is the difference between an electric car that is not moving and one that is off? Nothing you can tell from the outside. Regular cars are not the same, you hear the starter and the motor running.

I just find it interesting that we never fully understand all the complexities of a specific issue.

W
Nov 27, 2007
blind people are funny. it would be kinda fun to complain about stuff then they had to fix it just bevause your blind.

Harsh. I don't agree with that at all. So would you like to be blind just so you can complain about things?

I know what you are getting at Ruffy, but how far is too far?

M
Nov 26, 2007
MI
Vision-impaired and blind are two different things. Common sense says a vision impaired person shouldn't be looking backwards while walking anyways. Figures it would be a Prius mentioned in the article. Maybe they should just put a cow catcher or persuader on the front?

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Harsh. I don't agree with that at all. So would you like to be blind just so you can complain about things?

I know what you are getting at Ruffy, but how far is too far?

I don't know.. I just thought it was an interesting observation. Maybe just put a second, kind of softer horn on cars. People might not like to get honked at too much, but maybe with one that is softer?

I like the baseball cards in the spokes idea.. :p

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I remember in the early days of the Honda Goldwing they had a very similar thing. The 1st ones were so quiet that those that rode them complained that they could not hear the motor well enough to shift them properly without having to stare at the tach....Honda did create a slightly loader exhaust for them so hear could hear the motor better. Funny stuff.

Premium Features