• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yeti vs. ??? (ride impressions and comparisons)

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I believe it is already designed lol. And it will keep your chain tensioned from what i understand. I really dont think it is needed for the deep but would be a benefit on the rough trail.
We were up in revy over the weekend riding 2016 Timbersled ST kits with the TSS and some older kits without. In deep snow just tooling around the TSS is sort of a wash. For the 10 miles of 2' deep whoops in and out I would pay double for my TSS, 5th gear pinned skipping up the whoops like a moto bike should. Same with jumps and drops, no comparision to older rigid mounting system. I feel like WAY more like im riding my dirtbike in the snow which is what I have always wanted out of a snowbike kit.

We were bummed, saw the rozzi snow MX trailer in the lot both days but never crossed paths. Wanted to see how the new kits stack up against the Yeti. We were down shredding the trees as soon as there was enough snow to get off the trail, but apparently canadians only ride alpine terrain?

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
I believe it is already designed lol. And it will keep your chain tensioned from what i understand. I really dont think it is needed for the deep but would be a benefit on the rough trail.

Well once they came out with it sure. It is the reason I bought the TSS, and if I hadn't gone that route would have bought a used sx. Surprised more people didn't ride the old sx exclusively before. Certainly isn't a new feature, but it is hard to argue with suspension improvements.

I don't see why I couldn't mod my chain tensioner with a spring that picks up the slack when compression occurs.

We will certainly see which is better in time. I think the yeti looks awesome, and really think they will find ways to differentiate from each other, but I think yeti will be able to pull some market share, and the industry and technology as a whole will grow.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Ya I think the TSS is a good idea but for the deep it just not needed. Also remember the travel that is quoted is at the back axle not the front. I will have the YSS I'm sure once its released from Yeti. It would be even better if it was in a non fox air shock lol. Id rather have a coil over tuneable product if it was up to me !

Lets hear some more Yeti reviews. I know your out there !

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I don't see why I couldn't mod my chain tensioner with a spring that picks up the slack when compression occurs.

I dont understand what this obsession with holding string tight chain tension is. Normal moto bikes run tons of slack in various parts of the stroke all day every day for the last 40 years.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
I rode mine in may last year. biggest thing i noticed is the ski. it never washes out. so tired of losing my front end.

It seemed to go thru the gears quicker but i had nobody else there to compare against.

the fit and finish is unreal. lots of brainpower went into the drivetrain and i appreciate that. i pulled it all apart just for fun and to see what i needed to pack for tools. working on it is a joy compared to what i'm used to

will get some more miles on this weekend.

We were up in revy over the weekend riding 2016 Timbersled ST kits with the TSS and some older kits without. In deep snow just tooling around the TSS is sort of a wash. For the 10 miles of 2' deep whoops in and out I would pay double for my TSS, 5th gear pinned skipping up the whoops like a moto bike should. Same with jumps and drops, no comparision to older rigid mounting system. I feel like WAY more like im riding my dirtbike in the snow which is what I have always wanted out of a snowbike kit.

We were bummed, saw the rozzi snow MX trailer in the lot both days but never crossed paths. Wanted to see how the new kits stack up against the Yeti. We were down shredding the trees as soon as there was enough snow to get off the trail, but apparently canadians only ride alpine terrain?

Next time you head up Revy way PM me and I will take u somewhere close to Revy but better, Oh and pack your hack saw so you can fit through the trees where I take you lol.

cr500afx

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2008
2016 KTM 250SX/300SX with accessories (300SX Kit w/Slavens High Altitude Head, Scalvini Exhaust, 3.2G tank, Hand Guards, Carb Heat, Intake Pod, Primer, Thermostat, KOSO EGT, IntelliJet, Adventure Pegs, Storage bags) No Fuel. 258 #'s

2016 KTM 250-300SX Yeti 120.2.jpg

H

happy tree

Feb 4, 2014
Thanks cr500 afx. That is what I have been waiting to see. Planning on building one for next season. That thing will be untouchable in the trees.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
i gained some power over the summer so some of my comments on how much i like the yeti might be attributed to that, not the kit.

one thing i really noticed though thats safe to say is the position of the fuel can makes a pile of sense. riding it with/without the fuel can tucked under the fender you can barely tell the difference. this is a huge improvement to what i'm used to. ski-doo figured it out in 2003. snowbikes in 2016. get the mass closer to the middle.

makes the morning full of fuel commute up the hill much more enjoyable.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
2016 KTM 250SX/300SX with accessories (300SX Kit w/Slavens High Altitude Head, Scalvini Exhaust, 3.2G tank, Hand Guards, Carb Heat, Intake Pod, Primer, Thermostat, KOSO EGT, IntelliJet, Adventure Pegs, Storage bags) No Fuel. 258 #'s

Cost breakdown if you don't mind?
Looks fun. :)

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Cost breakdown if you don't mind?
Looks fun. :)

X2

Also has anybody fit the KTM 300 engine in a Honda Aluminum frame or custom Aluminum frame, yet? Any weight savings to be had? AF vs the stock KTM steel frame?

Pushing 250# dry weight seems like a good starting point at least.

C
Jul 21, 2010
X2

Also has anybody fit the KTM 300 engine in a Honda Aluminum frame or custom Aluminum frame, yet? Any weight savings to be had? AF vs the stock KTM steel frame?

I think it was in MXA a while back, but it was said that the KTM steel frames are actually lighter than the alum versions from Japan. Alum frames are cheaper to manufacture and that's the big draw for the Japanese brands.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
X2

Ktm frames are 4130 chromoly.
Lighter than the aluminum frames if anything.

Premium Features