• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yeti vs. ??? (ride impressions and comparisons)

W

WKR

Nov 27, 2007
western canada
So i haven't noticed any real good threads with some real world comparisons from snow bike groups that have both yeti and competitors kits in the group so for the sake of keeping things fiery in the snowbike forum here are what i noticed the last time out. Don't call me a hater either, i rode timbersled and loved them, i also have a daughter who loved rollerskates untill she tried some roller blades LOL. i will start with the load up into the trailer.

1.The Trailer
i can load my yeti bike and steer it from lifting on the rear end of the tunnel and with the wheel kit it will let me go anywhere without hanging up on a lip or ledge. TS has a wheel kit, which (true story) my buddy copied the TS wheel kit with parts from princess auto! now could you copy the yeti with parts from princess auto, absolutly, but you might need to know a good millwright to do it. Cost of product to do either probably the same, end result is that the yeti wheel kit is simply more functional.

2. hard pack ice and gravel
Both kits suck on ice and rock, no one wins in that scenario except the hand guard and rad shroud manufacturers.

3.groomed hardpack
On hard pack, the front ski on the yeti gives the rider the feeling they are in control, at least as much control as they can be. the simmons gen 2 or 3 ski (not sure what gen they are on) is not a fun ski to deal with on hard pack. no comparison the yeti ski handles best.

4. loose compact snow
loose snow on the trail, the yeti allows you to really lay the bike over with confidence that it will not wash out. the simmons ski will allow you to lay the bike over, but your always wondering if it is going to hold or not, as it will wash out.

5. powder
on the powder, yeti and competitor (TS) both seem to work simular the, one thing you do notice is how quickly the yeti ski will get up on the snow. it does not plow as much as the TS.

6. Trailing the whoops (stupid 2 ski things!)
trail suspension, both kits seemed to be-bop along at a good rate, i will say this the 16 TS has improved is ride over the bumps considerably. i would not say one was better than the other in this aspect. though the yeti vs the older ts kits, no comparison.

7. putting power to the snow
kits performance in putting the bikes power to the snow. Yeti hands down puts more of your bikes power to the snow. yammy 450 with yeti vs 2016 ktm 500 with 2016 TS on flat trail, yammy wins everytime. equal weight riders. thats not fair you say,"the yammy makes more power and is lighter" this is true. We put a 2015 ktm 500 with yeti next to it, same result. well maybe its the rider??? well lets switch em up then, same result. no matter the combination of riders and bikes the 2016 ktm 500 with 2016 ts was also last. we made a game of it on the trail, the guy the TS kit would lead and ride as hard as he could and try to hold off the other 3 guys with yetis, no matter what he did he would get over takin.

8. Deep snow
Again not a whole bunch of comparison here, time after time on the hills we would ask each other what gear we held up that hill, yetis always held 3 and even 4rth, while the TS on the ktm 500 was 2nd most of the time, and even down to 1st on some. when there was no room to grab gears, as in no run up to a hill, just turn hard 90 and take off straight up the hill into the trees the the yetis were able to grab 2nd, while the ts would be limited to 1st till it got headed sideways on the hill where it could grab some momentum. All in all the deep snow performance is given the yeti.

9. getting stuck
no kit was un susceptable to getting stuck, everyone got stuck lots. you do notice a difference when you grab the rear end of TS vs the yeti when they are trenched down to the earth. The yeti pops out of the snow like an excited mouse, where the TS was more like a frightened turtle. the handle ergonomics make it very easy for 2 people to lift as well. Also another thing that likly gets over looked, i because of the formed carbon tunnel the bike was very easy to spin around on its side on top of the snow to get it facing back the opposite direction, we had to try this same maneuver a couple times with the TS and it was noticeable more clumsey to perform the same task.

10. cool factor
This one is maybe gonna cause the most controversy, but everyone has a bit of peacock in them and wants to be noticed when you pull up to hill, or cabin or group of guys and i will say this, no one was rushing over to check out the TS in our group. The yeti seems to turn alot of heads.

The fun factor is off the charts regardless of which kit your riding and with todays bikes they both provide hours and hours of un interupted fun. i have a 610 husaberg with a TS on it but would not trade it for my stock 450 with a yeti, it just sits in the trailer waiting for its turn. I hope this was helpful, there seems to be lots of rider feedback on the TS system and know there are guys out there looking for feedback on the yeti, and i am fortunate to have one so i thought i would share what i knew about the two kits for those who were wondering.

D
Jan 23, 2011
2 things you forgot to compare

1.Price which we know TS wins in because its $2500CAD cheaper than a Yeti and $3500CAD cheaper when the dollar was better(when some guys preorderd the 16 TS kits) TS Wins

2. did your TS have TSS? be intersted to know if the TSS makes the trail feel better then the Yeti or not really, this one interests me the most.

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
Thanks for awesome and honest review!

I can definitely see a Yeti Ski in the near future for my TS!

I may also see a Yeti kit for next season but want to see how the carbon holds up after being on the snow for a season.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton

1.Price which we know TS wins in because its $2500CAD cheaper than a Yeti and $3500CAD cheaper when the dollar was better(when some guys preorderd the 16 TS kits) TS Wins

2. did your TS have TSS? be intersted to know if the TSS makes the trail feel better then the Yeti or not really, this one interests me the most.

The TS $2500 cheaper ? I paid $6700 CAD otd for a 16 ST kit with gas can..I was quoted over 11gs for yeti 129"

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I believe guys are quoting the TSS. Here in Calgary the TS 137 with TSS is almost 9600 CDN. Yeti is 10500ish. Once the dollar turns there may be more of a gap. Some can afford the Yeti and some can't. That simple !

D
Jan 23, 2011
The TS $2500 cheaper ? I paid $6700 CAD otd for a 16 ST kit with gas can..I was quoted over 11gs for yeti 129"

I was factoring in TSS sorry, my 16 ST with TSS was $7636CAD OTD taxes paid(I locked in my exchange rate early). My best price on a Yeti was $9700CAD OTD

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
I believe guys are quoting the TSS. Here in Calgary the TS 137 with TSS is almost 9600 CDN. Yeti is 10500ish. Once the dollar turns there may be more of a gap. Some can afford the Yeti and some can't. That simple !

For me its not about what I can or cant afford its best bang for my buck. I compared the price of my 16 st kit without TSS to a yeti 129" kit and its around 4gs difference.. Is the yeti really that much better? Cant wait to ride one and compare on same bikes.. For 4 grand more it should smoke it in every which way possible

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the yeti is ugly. The TS looks sharp and almost bespoke. The yeti sure has some great ideas incorporated though!

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Is the Yeti really that much better ? Really depends on what appeals to you. For me the Yeti has some excellent ideas and has some advantages over the TS. Weight, build quality and construction, Ski, belt drive, chain adjustment, bumper, metric fasteners, wheel kit, fuel can, Canadian product are worth the expense for me. Am i willing to pay more, Yup. The Yeti looks beautiful compared to the TS imo, the TS looks antiquated although i believe they have solved some of the inherent problems they have had in the past. I feel the design is outdated and will be changed very soon.

In talking with Yeti owners they all seem to have a top 5 list about the kit.

The list goes something like this:

Ski
Construction and ease of install
Weight
Belt drive
Rear bumper

Performance reports are coming in daily and Yeti has done a great job for their first year. The OP points out some great things such as less plowing, more power to the track, and a great ski all things sledders searched for for years LOL. Some will buy Yeti and some won't. Pick your poison !

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
I would love to have gone with a Yeti this season but they were late to the show. Not to mention more money. I have just shy of $17000 invested in my timbersled with the new bike new kit and all the other things people say you must have. I would love to see skidoo buy up yeti like Polaris did with timbersled. That way they will all bring something to the market place considering cat looks like they will have a unit next year. The competition is great and will advance the sport. I think the big guys could get a all in one unit that probably worked better than the bolt on version for around 14,000. Whoever can do this first will sell the heck out of them.

U

UPsnowbiker

Oct 29, 2014
U.P. of Michigan
So a Yeti ski fits a Timbersled. I would spend the $500 something bucks next season if the ski was proven better. That wheel kit is pretty slick as well. I disagree the Yeti is ugly....looks awesome...it looks like NASA designed it. Not really sure how some say the TS doesn't look good though, I think it's a great looking machine.

Does the TSS fit the Yeti? Seems it would likely make the Yeti better.

Like the OP said, the fun factor is off the charts for both. That's all I need to hear. If the Yeti is a little faster for $2000-$2500 ......good for them....no big deal to me...how could it not be with the weight loss and price tag. All of these kits are only going to get better and better.

Last edited:
R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
I've heard good things about the Yeti ski as well. I'd sure like to try it on our whopped out, never groomed trails around here. After dealing with the old 6" Simmons ski for two seasons the new TS ski was such a massive jump that I've really grown to like it. If anyone has a Yeti ski in NW Montana I would be your best friend and buy you a beer and a burger to check it out.

I'd also love to see a Yeti comparison of two race bikes, specifically YZ's. To be fair my 450 will pretty easily outrun a 500 too.... TS to TS. Let's get some VIDEO!!!

T
Nov 4, 2010

1) Relatively speaking the 2500 difference is not that hard of a pill to swallow, with the yeti you get 20% (roughly) weight savings on the kit, belt drive, better ski (no one that has tried a yeti ski vs a TS ski aside from the TS fanboys thinks the TS ski is better) better chain tension system, better attack angle of the track, I know in the sled world all of these things = $$$$$$$$$$$ I know I've been there and done that!

2) the kit we were comparing that day was a non tss kit, I would also like to try it out as the most fun I had on a kit all last year was a TS SX kit, so I would like to see how this would compare!

3) like the OP I have had TS kits in the past and have had a blast on them, IMO the yeti works that much better, (this year im on a 520 ktm with a yeti 129 last year I had a turbo yamaha 450 with TS LT and I feel this bike is night and day over the setup I ran last year) as for the guys who are wondering how the carbon holds up compared to aluminum, it may scratch and scuff but it is VERY hard to break, especially with how thick the carbon is on the kit.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
What is replacement cost for the Yeti tunnel? I have destroyed two tunnel sides on my TS that I am pretty sure would also mangle a Yeti. Hitting a rock at 30-35 mph resulting in a dead stop ejecting me 10' out in front of the bike is the type of impact I am talking about. With the TS kit the repair is as simple as a tunnel side and maybe a chain case cover if its on the left side which it usually is. That kind of impact on a Yeti is going to lead to a repair cost that would put an end to my season.

I guess that's what insurance is for but with the TS I don't feel the need to have insurance because any repair cost is going to be pretty cheap.

I would like ride with one of these Yeti's though and see how it compares on the mountain.

Nov 1, 2010
North Dakota (US)
1) Relatively speaking the 2500 difference is not that hard of a pill to swallow, with the yeti you get 20% (roughly) weight savings on the kit, belt drive, better ski (no one that has tried a yeti ski vs a TS ski aside from the TS fanboys thinks the TS ski is better) better chain tension system, better attack angle of the track, I know in the sled world all of these things = $$$$$$$$$$$ I know I've been there and done that!

2) the kit we were comparing that day was a non tss kit, I would also like to try it out as the most fun I had on a kit all last year was a TS SX kit, so I would like to see how this would compare!

3) like the OP I have had TS kits in the past and have had a blast on them, IMO the yeti works that much better, (this year im on a 520 ktm with a yeti 129 last year I had a turbo yamaha 450 with TS LT and I feel this bike is night and day over the setup I ran last year) as for the guys who are wondering how the carbon holds up compared to aluminum, it may scratch and scuff but it is VERY hard to break, especially with how thick the carbon is on the kit.

A 520 KTM with a yeti 129 is night and day over a turboed yz450 with a TS LT? I don't have substantial experience on either kit, but that doesn't sound believable imo.

T
Nov 4, 2010
A 520 KTM with a yeti 129 is night and day over a turboed yz450 with a TS LT? I don't have substantial experience on either kit, but that doesn't sound believable imo.

I have nothing to gain by making things up, I dont sell turbos or snow bike kits, I just speak from experience! If someone offered me one bike vs the other I would take the KTM with the yeti every day.

N

n16ht5

Aug 5, 2013
Pemberton, BC
I can tell you right now, unless Yeti comes up with a third shock system I won't be considering them for my next kit. After riding a 2016 TS with TSS I finally experienced what a snowbike should ride like... a dirt bike.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I believe it is already designed lol. And it will keep your chain tensioned from what i understand. I really dont think it is needed for the deep but would be a benefit on the rough trail.

Premium Features