• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Important Yellowstone plans ceasing winter wildlife surveillance!!

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Now if they could just manage the summer crowd. I hadn't been there in the late summer for over 40yrs. Stayed outside of West Yellowstone and bumper to bumper to the geysers and cars veering off, people spread out with their cameras cutting in front of elk trying to cross a river. I had a better time driving through Dubois and staying in Thermopolis for a couple days and 8 hours in Yellowstone because of the people. I'll probably never go back in the summer.

U
Nov 26, 2007
NW Montana
We rode yellowstone most years in the 70s n 80s till things started getting shut down. Have only been back once in the last 25 years, most likely will never go back again. It was motivation to find other areas to visit and ride, so that's what we did. Money flows where it's wanted. Lots of good riding areas in MT & ID.

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
We ride in West for a week most years. We used to have a "park ride" on Wed or Thurs, as a break from all the digging out we did outside the park. (You know, when a 144"x2" was a lot of track...) I really liked those rides, and it was nice to just be able to get in and check out a geyser or hot spring area, walk the boardwalk, and perhaps get some food at Old Faithful. I miss those days, and I'm 100% opposed to the way the park was closed to snowmobiles in 2013, as I could not identify any sort of real "problem" at the time.

That said, I can't imagine what a total disaster an open park would be these days... There are WAY WAY more people riding now, and with too many people comes too many a$$holes... The park speed limit was 45, and I got absolutely blasted by some asshole doing 80 every time we rode in the park, particularly on the long ride back to West... Given how people ride the trails today, I think that it would likely be an un-manageable problem...

I WOULD like them to ease up on restrictions for self guided tours. Perhaps double the number... And get ride of the stupid "latest technology" requirement. Seriously, with the low limits, just demand no aftermarket cans, or something like that. Or even sled must be newer than 2015 or so... They're certainly not saving the world by limiting snowmobiles when 99% of emissions pollution comes from maritime transport and industry in general... The park animals that use the roads are completely indifferent to the presence of any kind of traffic, regardless of season, they didn't need to do a 15 year study to know that, they only had to pull their heads out of their a$$es and look around...

It's been more than 10 years since I was in the park in the winter, so I'm planning to check into a snow coach tour while we're there this year. I'd much rather do my own tour, but I don't ride a brand new 4-stroke sled, and our friends had a terrible experience with a rental outfit tour, so snow coach it is...

Regardless of all that, West is still my favorite place to be and to ride in the winter. If we could afford to move there, we would...

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Nevermind the coach tour... Almost $200 a person to go to Old Faithful on a 26 person bus with 26 people on board. Masks required...
We'll just ride outside the park, as we have for years now...
Hope they get some snow!!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
My Guess is we will see the following happen..

Requirement for Guides Dropped.

Requirement for Clean & Quiet 4 Stroke maintained

Daily Sled Quota greatly expanded or lifted entirely

Draconian Penalties (Like Sled Seizure) for Park Riding Violations.

Sledding as a sport has gotten smaller and smaller for the last several decades now.
Just look at sled sales per year as hard proof of participation.

That said, there were a HELL of a lot more sledders going INTO the park back in the day then there are now.

Premium Features