• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Would you go back to a carbed mountain sled???

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Nope. Not a chance. I would have to see a 50 lb weight loss to even consider it. Definitely wouldn't pull my oil injection. These sleds are built to ride not dick with.

B
Dec 19, 2012
Leduc County, AB
Had two 550 rmk that had to be jetted for every where we went that was different elevation. Pain in the a$$. I had a carbed 2004 600 rmk with the ATTAC system and never had to re-jet it once. ran great. Then got 3 600 rmk all cfi. they are all pull and go which is so much better

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I'd be willing to bet most of that claimed weight loss is due to the oil in the oil tank. less than 10 for all the hardware. On a 600+ lb system (you+sled+fuel) are you really going to notice 10 lb right out of the middle?

That's blasphemy talk right there! :face-icon-small-ton

To get back to the subject matter I really like the fuel injection but never really had much problem with carbs so depending on what I was starting my project with carbs would be an option for sure. machinest660 if you rode a carbed sled at Revy you would just have to take it easy on the trail in until you gained some altitude. If you want to have your sled running close to maximum efficiency at all times though CFI is the way to go. I guess I never spent much time upside down so the carb flooding was never much of an issue for me.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Wasn't mentioned, but doo's DPM worked damn fine, best of all the OEM 's altitude and temp enleanment schemes. Stock or mod, they gave you lots of flexibility with mods for little coin if you knew how to jet flatsides. Liked the simplicity back then, still had a temp sensor, but it was very rugged. Very seldom would DPM fail if you maintained the sled, easy to test, easy to fix. If I had to go back, that's where I would head first.

Exactly! If you understand what the different jetting systems do, and know how to tune, I found BRP's setup rather enjoyable and my Summit still runs better than my Pro but I'm a pretty damn good tuner if I do say so myself (you have to like to tinker). My '11 Pro's map isn't optimized like the latter model years and you have to get a damn $500+ fuel controller to do any tuning (and tuning IS necessary with each and every performance mod you do). I don't miss the upside down starting issue tho when I'm on the Pro! Half dozen one, six of the other - I can and do live with both!

Have FUN!

G MAN

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Never had any issues with carbs, but I like the injection for the pull and go deal , however I will say if your in the boonies and the injection takes a dump good luck fixing it, I can pretty much get a carb deal running no matter what happens, even if you had to gravity feed the float bowl lmao .

But ill stick with the injection....just to nice not ever messing with it.

K
Feb 5, 2013
I finally replaced my 03 RMK 600 this year with a new pro and can't wait to go play with my first injected sled. I have ridden that 600 since it was brand new and whether it was going to run right in the mountains from trip to trip was always a mystery. It's had a tempaflow installed on it since new but sometimes it wouldn't idle at altitude or simply would barely run at all and it was anyone's guess when it would happen. My dad had a 03 700 with ATACC and it never ran right in the mountains no matter what. EFI all the way!

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I wouldnt expect the tempaflow to work with elevation changes, that's what the atacc is for. I have two atacc and they have worked flawless from -30C at 1800' and then to -10C at 6-8000' the next weekend.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I didn't have any issues with my TM40 flatsides on my Polaris.
I got the needles and pilot dialed with my porting and twin pipes and never looked back because I used a needle shim kit and the multi-range Variflow.

Most people that had big issues with lean spots and flat spots weren't due to main jet problems.
They were due to pilot and needles.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
I've never ridden anywhere but Michigan and Wisconsin, but I rode all last season with a carbed sled rolled it over multiple times with no start up issues, I always jet mine about 3 steps lower than stock. Ive loved the reliability nor all my carbed sleds bought a 600cfi at the end of last winter I rode it 3 miles before it blew up. With that said I now have a 15 RMK 800 CFI. I do agree though cleaning/rejetting carbs sucks.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
With a setup attacc or dpm, and a decent flatside, there should be no runability issues. There have been some stupid OEM carb experiments, like the 02 summit, that are tougher to work around. But the vast majority with the right air density scheme installed for your riding, like holtzman's, can be setup and tuned for your mods, and then just ran. You MUST be able to tune idle, pilot, needle (size and shim) and main circuits, with or without an air density device, or find someone who can. That's becoming a lost skill for some under 30 now.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Are there a few posts insinuating that you are concerned about issues with the fuel injection system? Granted I'm sure there have been some issues, but few and far between.

Patience young grasshoppers...snow will be here before you know it! :)

machinest660

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2008
Saskatchewan Canada
Are there a few posts insinuating that you are concerned about issues with the fuel injection system? Granted I'm sure there have been some issues, but few and far between.

Patience young grasshoppers...snow will be here before you know it! :)

Its just an idea I had been thinking of for some time now. A carbed premix 660 or 685 pro, timbersled suspension. C3 belt drive. Camo extreme 2.5 and a few other goodies. 400lbs ish. 150hp. I think thats a recipe for one hell of a fun sled. Just wanted to here others opinions on carbs in the mountains. We alway ran carb sleds in the prairies but never changed jets till spring when the weather warmed up.

Keith517

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Yes! We build a 2013 Pro with Carbon Fiber body parts and Titanium suspension and bolts with a PAR 1100 in it. We opted to go with Lectron Carb for light weight and tunability. If I remember right we lost 10 lbs going with carbs (this does not include removal of the oil system). The sled runs great. Carbs work awesome when set up correctly. It does take a little more time and know how though.
It is interesting to notice that all 3 manufactures are running carbs on their snocross race sleds too. I am curious whether carbs will make more power on an identical sled with EFI. Considering taking two pro's and getting a CDI and carbs for one and running them side by side to see if there is a difference. Hardest part is that the motor will need to be raised up a bit for the carbs to clear the Jackshaft.

carbon 3.jpg Carbon1.jpg

machinest660

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2008
Saskatchewan Canada
Wow thats a wicked looking sled thanks for posting. I never gave that a thought of having to lift the motor for carbs to clear... thanks for that tip. I am sure Brad at PAR would be able or already has made motor mount plates if I decide to go through with this idea.

A
Dec 19, 2011
i made a topic about this a while ago. the KISS sled (keep it simple stupid) a company out there gives you what you need to bolt the 800 cylinders to a 600rr bottom end in a iq. What i propose is the same idea with 858 jugs on a 600rr cases bolted into a pro. maybe lectron 42 carbs.

Nothing wrong with carbs, less things to break or go wrong. everyone loves efi, till it leaves you stranded.

H

hoov165x

Apr 12, 2009
Bend, OR
Yes! We build a 2013 Pro with Carbon Fiber body parts and Titanium suspension and bolts with a PAR 1100 in it. We opted to go with LECTRON CARB for light weight and tunability. If I remember right we lost 10 lbs going with carbs (this does not include removal of the oil system). The sled runs great. Carbs work awesome when set up correctly. It does take a little more time and know how though.
It is interesting to notice that all 3 manufactures are running carbs on their snocross race sleds too. I am curious whether carbs will make more power on an identical sled with EFI. Considering taking two pro's and getting a CDI and carbs for one and running them side by side to see if there is a difference. Hardest part is that the motor will need to be raised up a bit for the carbs to clear the Jackshaft.

Bingo! The Lectron is key here. The Miks are absolute junk! Finicky, overly sensitive junk. Lectron's newest owner has spent a lot of time in redesign and development for two stroke application. I have one on my WB165 Husky (a big bore 125) and it incredible. The power is smoother and the carb works well from sea level to 6,000 feet and temperature changes in excess of 40 degrees- ALL WITH NO ADJUSTMENT. Because of the design, it has somewhat of a compensating ability. My TMX couldn't stand a 5 degree change in temperature or a 200 foot change in elevation and I was always jetting it. If the manufacturers had ante'd up and bought Lectron carbs we wouldn't need FI now.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Bingo! The Lectron is key here. The Miks are absolute junk! Finicky, overly sensitive junk. Lectron's newest owner has spent a lot of time in redesign and development for two stroke application. I have one on my WB165 Husky (a big bore 125) and it incredible. The power is smoother and the carb works well from sea level to 6,000 feet and temperature changes in excess of 40 degrees- ALL WITH NO ADJUSTMENT. Because of the design, it has somewhat of a compensating ability. My TMX couldn't stand a 5 degree change in temperature or a 200 foot change in elevation and I was always jetting it. If the manufacturers had ante'd up and bought Lectron carbs we wouldn't need FI now.

I ran the Mikuni tm40 flats (they were straight bored too almost 42mm) on my 1155 twin. Had ZERO reliability issues. Probably Could have picked up a couple top end ponies but had great bottom end and mid range.

pus1100

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
Troms,Norway
Yes! We build a 2013 Pro with Carbon Fiber body parts and Titanium suspension and bolts with a PAR 1100 in it. We opted to go with Lectron Carb for light weight and tunability. If I remember right we lost 10 lbs going with carbs (this does not include removal of the oil system). The sled runs great. Carbs work awesome when set up correctly. It does take a little more time and know how though.
Sweet,which flywheel,stator and cdi do you use on this? Are you using mikuni tps?twin pipes?

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
EFI. Life is too short.

I have both. The older I get the simpler I want life to be. EFI for me.
As far as getting stranded because of EFI? It's never happened to me. :angel:

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I just came from owning three Ski-Doos, and their DPM for alt. change worked great. I just hated trying to start the dam thing after roll over or sitting facing to steeply down hill.

Last edited:
Premium Features