• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Worst winter yet?

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I’ve lived in Montana for 30 years and I can’t remember a start to winter this bad. No snow in north central mt since the end of October and it’s been 40-60 degrees since with no end in sight. Local ski hills have a few inches of snow and no opening date or snow in sight. I know it’s just the start and a lot can change fast. End of bitch session. Out of curiosity, any of you old timers (anywhere) remember a worse winter?
Lived in Montana for 30 years? Jaysus. haha

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
Out in my local, Snoqualmie Pass we've had two pretty horrible seasons I can recall in the past two decades, I think 2005 and 2015. 15 I remember putting my dirt bike on the sled deck several times before I gave up. Think our local ski area topped out at 20" base or something. 2005 I don't think they opened at all if I recall correctly but old brain is foggy. I try not to remember the bad times.

But yeah this is bad. I'm starting to loose my mind. Dirt biking doesn't seem fun at all either. I really like seasons and changing activities.
My buddy lives in cle Elum and he’s not happy about these last two seasons

P
Dec 15, 2018
2nd that! This warm weather makes em think it’s easy living. We need old school sub zero and howling winds to chase them off lol. Bozeman iam sad to say is ruined. Rip days and of old

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Green grass in south west Montana. I’ve only purchased one new snowmobile in my life . Of course it’s now lol. Was thinking maybe if went and bought some expensive warm weather thing it would start snowing? Jet boat?
I can fix you up. I have a jet boat with twins i would sell you. Twice the fun.
On a side note, i poured a garage slab for a buddy's mother in law on December 16th. Almost 60 degrees and didn't have to cover it. Don't know if it was 6 years ago. Before 2018 because i was sledding 5th of November and it was beyond epic. Winter seems to come a month later and stay later than it used to. Wouldn't panick yet.

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
On a side note, i poured a garage slab for a buddy's mother in law on December 16th. Almost 60 degrees and didn't have to cover it. Don't know if it was 6 years ago. Before 2018 because i was sledding 5th of November and it was beyond epic. Winter seems to come a month later and stay later than it used to. Wouldn't panick yet.
We were running the mo in our jet boat Sunday. Probably do it all again this weekend too. I love boating but I like to switch off sports with the seasons lol

IMG_0836.jpeg

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Slow start for sure, but there's been similar years that turned out decent. This was January 1st, 2021. The black and red sled was mine, it was pretty much touching the dirt in this picture:

20210101_124007.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
All we can do at this point is hope for some moisture to start coming off the Pacific Ocean in Jan/Feb to save the season OR start making travel plans to ALASKA as they seem to have the goods right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
All we can do at this point is hope for some moisture to start coming off the Pacific Ocean in Jan/Feb to save the season OR start making travel plans to ALASKA as they seem to have the goods right now

Alaska looks amazing! Call me when you leave, I would gladly join. Lol

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
This low/no snow start is great. I'm fixing all kinds of things on my machines. Used prices are dropping too. Bought a 99 summit x for $200. Gotta look at the positive side. I like to just look at em as much as ride em

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Maybe no snow will make all these transplants leave MT!!
Yeah, unfortunately there are more people who come here for the scenery and hang out and screw things up until a bad winter or two drives them back south. Probably five people will move in for every one who leaves because of not enough snow.

The guy who did my foundation said he saw one winter where he only had a week or two where he wasn't pouring. I think it was early-00s he was referring to, but I'm not sure. My parents moved here from Fargo ND, about 40 years ago, partly because my great-grandpa kept talking about the mild winters. It definitely cycles, and it seems we're in a warm cycle. But hey, last year was subpar until late March, then we got the best dump I've seen since I moved back in '16.

Anyway, I'm doing my part. Nobody wants to see my snow dance, but I invited the wrath (or is it blessings?) of the snow gods by sending my crankshaft in for preventative maintenance (it was developing some runout, and the PTO rod side clearance was well out of spec). It just got warmer. Also, the turnaround was super-quick; looks like nobody's riding so there's nothing to fix. I should have it back together in a week or two, just in time for a wallop of snow? Or more likely, the warmest January on record...

IMG_20231213_131655.jpg

Premium Features