• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

who here has messed with tuning VES springs?

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Update.
My experiment was a failure lol. You need a 'putor to watch a 'putor. Did get some info that made me frustrated because I can't afford a Vipec lol.

Started with Grn-whts.
Soleniod signal (voltage gone) on mine is anywhere from 6500 to 7200 as best as I could see??? Trouble is no consistent data log. Eye and stock tach are not very good ways to gather this info. Because of this I wasn't able to put any elevation info together.
Grn-whts (as best as I could tell) opened almost, if not instantly with the signal. Sometimes it seemed to try up to 3 times to open as best as my eye could see. If I was trying to be slow through these ranges a trail bump was enough to go from 6400 to 6900 on the tach.

Weird thing is playing in this range of trying to catch the rpm I got constant light det shut downs. My map with these springs and other stuff doesn't get this light det shut down in normal use except once in a while on the trail up if I "cruise" too long. I always thought this was an elevation thing.
Add fuel (lots) to control it and as soon as I get back to just riding I have to pull it all back out or I feel-hear the performance loss.

Put the orange in ( used the stock caps because they already had the hole lol). Same inconsistencies but I'm pretty sure they gave a slight delay to fully open (only place the micro-switch is triggered). Something like one-one thousand at these light throttle positions.
The light det shutdowns were much less often and a tweek at one rpm and 2 throttle positions (6750, 20 to 40%, plus 5 %) took it away and didn't feel the need to remove it when going back to just riding.

I've left the orange in for a few rides now but want to retry the grn-whts later without watching stuff. Wish it was quick and easy to change these out in the field to hear and feel the difference side by side but I think I have to try.

What I learned. Micro switches do not last very long mounted to a motor. When I've had good snow (enough to load things up) I tend not to watch much and can see less lol. My eye and tach are way too slow to get technical at slow throttle input and definitely impossible to view this trying to accelerate with any throttle. Even visually there is a difference when the actual valve opens compared to solenoid deactivation at light throttle between the 2 springs. Pin-it and I don't know a thing about what is happening here.
Pinning it and feeling and listening and punching in some #'s is still my best form of tuning working with a stock ECU.
It takes a 'putor to watch a 'putor.

Things I'm guessing at. I believe there is more than just rpm signaling the solenoid. I think there is a way the 'putor senses acceleration of either the thumb or the engine rpm. I even think my pipe temp changed stuff. I think when I put the softer springs in right after the orange I will learn more.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Hopefully before the end of the season.

The way it's been going lately I've been focusing on finding something untouched instead.

C
Dec 24, 2014
My butt dyno says the green/white springs are a definite improvement. The sled now moves from 7000-8000 rpm on the tach in one jump. Seems like it holds rpm better climbing and sidehilling. I like it, I would do it again. My sled is a bone stock '14 800 Pro running the non-91 program on 91 non eth fuel. I ride from 10-13k feet.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Bump. I know this is an old thread.

Curious if any of you have come into any new information on the topic.

Also, are there any risks associated with running the green/whites at lower elevations such as 1000' ASL? I'm not terribly worried about performance as we have plenty of power here in MN, but am just lazy to be switching out the valve springs just so I can give the boy a ride around the yard.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Green/white feedback?

Hello,

In the process of doing some EV maintenance I noticed my stock springs have succumbed to corrosion & will require replacement.

Will need to order replacement springs & am seriously considering the green / white(7041786-03) as TRS recommended.

Breezing through the thread I'm not sure what the consensus was on this spring at the 3500' to 6500' range? Looked like geo was experiencing some deto at trail cruising speeds but I'm not sure if that was with EV hoses plugged or not?

FYI, I'm looking at installing these on an '11 Pro 800 w/SLP pipe/can & high comp. head.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

TIA

Glen

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
TTT

Hello,

In the process of doing some EV maintenance I noticed my stock springs have succumbed to corrosion & will require replacement.

Will need to order replacement springs & am seriously considering the green / white(7041786-03) as TRS recommended.

Breezing through the thread I'm not sure what the consensus was on this spring at the 3500' to 6500' range? Looked like geo was experiencing some deto at trail cruising speeds but I'm not sure if that was with EV hoses plugged or not?

FYI, I'm looking at installing these on an '11 Pro 800 w/SLP pipe/can & high comp. head.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

TIA

Glen

K
May 10, 2009
Calgary, AB
I have been using green/whites for that elevation with zero issues. I have been putting my orange ones back in when flatland riding 2000 feet.

Not sure if I noticed any difference. Was just matching TRS setup closely. TRS gearing and secondary clutching at the same time.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Think it was a engine management issue Merlin. Porting, head and low rpm pipe had me trying to get all technical but the pinks steadied the opening rpm up to 6000' for me and made the issue disappear lol.
Never did eliminate the solenoid and never figured out if it changed opening rpm with elevation.
Sometimes it's just great to ride when things are working.

The green whts. with the SLP pipe, head and stock rpm were an improvement for me when I was there. Made clutching "easier".

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Blue or Blue/White they booth have the same rating. One is double the price. They are Polaris parts.
Blue 7041704-01
Blue/White 7041786-02
Edit: Carb 600 with EV solenoid hose plugged use Blue
CFI2 600 use the purple

Purple in a 660 at 6000' as well?

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
I would run the grn/wht if you ride above 5000' most of the time. I will test the grn/wht at 1400' during the Christmas Holiday in Wisconsin.(PRO 163)
What did u decide at low elevation in Wisconsin?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Premium Features