• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who has a Long Rod Engine Upgrade?

V

Vfrtrader

Aug 25, 2009
Cache Valley, UT
18 hp

Northstar in Preston Idaho has made there own kit for the pro that they did last spring and it has a spacer and different pistons and timing change and it is making 18hp over a stock pro and is 1500 installed

18 hp that's huge. What is the clearance on the pistons compared to stock? As AK stated earlier, bad cooling causes cylinders the change, which causes pistons to wear. Would northstar's and RKT piston's make this problem worse. Does this kit help sideload problem? Very interested if increased dependability and 18hp. What is the cost to just send the kit.

T

treedocker

Sep 1, 2010
There is no heatproblems with these kits. They only sell the kit installed

Fast_XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Love the spacer over custom (different than stock) pistons. Lower pins promote rock-n-slap. Plus, if the motor changes hands it is nice to just buy OEM Elko pistons as apposed to hunting down (or even remembering) custom/different slugs.

Agree, for the most part, except the pin would be higher in the piston, and might help with stability and reduce skirt loading. Also, not using a spacer would help significantly with the secondary compression, by keeping the case volume small. It would be interesting to dyno the 2 scenarios back to back, same motor, same crank (w/long rod), same everything except for pistons and cylinder spacer. My guess is that the motor without the spacer is snappier and produces more power, particularly down low before the pipe takes over.
Neil

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Thought I would get this back to the top. It is a good read. I am very impressed with the long rod mod. It's the best $800 you will spend on a Pro.

frontierfire

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2008
Eagle River
Mine is a 2013 Pro being put back together this week by Chad at A2D sled works here in Anchorage it is Brads long rod and head plus, Brads is made in US cant wait to get it out this weekend the only hard part will be holding back of throttle to break in the belt drive.

Premium Features