• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

whats sooo great about Tony Grove??

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Everytime I go sleddin and pass Tony Grove there are a bunch of trucks and trailers there.. I have never been to Tony Grove and am curious about the place.. whats so great about it?? I may want to go there next weekend.. where should I go?? anyone have pics of tonys grove?? I have been to the lake before but that was in the summer thats it.

F
Jan 7, 2005
Greenville, NC
I went last spring and only once this year,
but its got some big climbs.. and since you've been there in the summer
you'll remember the outhouse near the parking lot, well the snow is deep enough to bury it.
I think most people like it for the steeper climbs, I like it for its variety.. as climbing
obviously isn't my(or my sleds strong point) Seems more like home to me(Colorado)

D

DRAPE

Feb 19, 2008
NSL UT
Tony's Rocks!

Tony's Grove ROCKS! By far my most favorite place to ride. Plenty of snow, plenty of hills, plenty powder and pines, groomed trail if you like that, spectacular views, what ever your style it has it, and much more. Really hard to get lost up there unless a storm moves in. I just got back today... Here are your pics you requested. Enjoy

http://picasaweb.google.com/rickybangerter/372008TonyGrove

D

DRAPE

Feb 19, 2008
NSL UT
It was sure great up there today. A lot better than workin;) A lot of untouched snow and snow was powder!

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
is it true that its pretty dagerous up there? have heard of lots of cliffs and sinkholes.. how hard is it to get to the top of naomi peak? where do u go once ur at the lake?

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Yes it's dangerous. The cliffs are what makes the good pulls. During a good snow year, just about every hill will slide atleast once. But the thing to look at for is the sink holes. You can make a great climb, or come off what you think is a little roller, and drop into a huge hole. Some that you will never get your sled out of, and maybe not you.
You will have to catch the trail right after the groomer, because after a couple days, the road is tore up.

For the most part, those who ride Tony's ride it because they like to climb. If highmarking is your game its a great place. The problem is that its a small area. So after a day or two after a storm, its tore up pretty good.

Oh, and that rock picture.......owww. You are suppose to go up and around that cliff, not over it........

numbskull

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2003
Riverton, UT
how hard is it to get to the top of naomi peak? where do u go once ur at the lake?

we didn't find it hard at all to get around this area...although it was last April with go-anywhere conditions. I think it's also one of the last places where the snow stays longer to extend the season a bit.

maybe this attached map of our ride will help you see where to go once you're at the lake. The big climb area (where you see all the tracks up and down) is called "Cornice Ridge".

edit: here are pics from our ride - not as good as DRAPES's pics tho!

TGtracks.jpg

Last edited:
K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
Tony grove is a good place for big pulls and decent boondocking.
Not my favorite by any means, but fun nonetheless.
One of my favorite spots is the steam mill/white pine area which can be accesed either from dropping down from the top of tony's, or from the franklin side also.
Still need to meet up and show you some cool places in the tony/franklin area.
I don't think that tony's snow stays any longer than most places in that area... The reason its good for late spring riding is because its accesible... you drive up the road until you hit snow and unload.
It also helps that you can drive to the lake once most of the snow melts which is 9000 feet.

D

DRAPE

Feb 19, 2008
NSL UT
whats the story behind the cliff drop into the rocks? looked painful! :eek:

LOL Yea, that was me. Had to change my panties after that. Holy Shiz! Came down wrong side and realized it after it was to late so I thought about riding it out. Luckily I bailed at the last second. It was a cliff and sled and I missed rocks by INCHES! It was an eye opener for me. I was fine and so was sled - count my lucky stars. We bearly missed it on video - would have been BAD!

F
Jan 7, 2005
Greenville, NC
Had some interesting riding this weekend up there, met up with a group mostly from MN.
Still great/good snow, although we were socked in on Sat. Lunch was great(thanks guys)
Anyway, If all goes well I'll be up there again Sat. Looks like during the week we should
get enough snow up there to keep it fresh still. Still looking for a sunny day up there.

oh wait I think I'm supposed to tell everyone how bad it is.. yes rocks, trees, all tracked up..
and rock hard snow.. yeah thats it.

Premium Features