• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

whats a good can for XM?

cadams

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2009
ND
Yea it might be larger and weigh more but still. Performance and horsepower are key. The stock pipe and can is matched with the etec for a reason. it's funny to think that people complain about the weight and what not, but then put a muff pot on (which doesn't weigh the same as a stock can i know) but it's still hilarious. i have stock everything, i weigh 255 pounds without gear etc. and i get anywhere i want with any 150 lb rider with cans, no foam, and what ever else people are doing to drop weight. It's called technical riding for a reason. It's about skill not weight...
Now if we were taking about a sled that weighed 650 pounds right off the bat there might be a problem. But the xm feels like a 400 pound sled regardless what weight is on it. It's just a fact. So saying people want to drop can weight is basically making an excuse for better sounds without sounding goofie.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
B

bouchy24

Dec 6, 2011
No Man's Land, Montana

347strokin

Sep 1, 2008
Peachland, BC
Yea it might be larger and weigh more but still. Performance and horsepower are key. The stock pipe and can is matched with the etec for a reason. it's funny to think that people complain about the weight and what not, but then put a muff pot on (which doesn't weigh the same as a stock can i know) but it's still hilarious. i have stock everything, i weigh 255 pounds without gear etc. and i get anywhere i want with any 150 lb rider with cans, no foam, and what ever else people are doing to drop weight. It's called technical riding for a reason. It's about skill not weight...
Now if we were taking about a sled that weighed 650 pounds right off the bat there might be a problem. But the xm feels like a 400 pound sled regardless what weight is on it. It's just a fact. So saying people want to drop can weight is basically making an excuse for better sounds without sounding goofie.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Have you felt these suitcases? They are ridiculous. And I don't need to justify my preference in sound to you without sounding goofy, with all due respect. Also weight loss is equivalent to horsepower gain. I'm not saying losing 10 lbs here or there is going to make any crazy difference, but you also aren't going to feel 1-2 horsepower lost at a certain power range with some cans.

Last edited:

TS Drag Racer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Wa. st
BMP on mine, love the sound and never lost any RPM's or noticable power loss over stock can. The BMP is a little louder than SLP, but not as loud as an HPS can...............

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Im keeping the stock silencer too. For myself as well as the good of the sport...I have no problem with others being loud, I have run loud sleds in the past....just getting old I guess,lol.
The etecs are VERY sensitive to exhaust changes. I have now seen issues ( RPM drop and hesitation) on customer sleds with almost every brand of silencer...HPS is the only one with a clean record on the etecs from my perspective.

B

BackCountryBob

Aug 7, 2001
Arvada, Colorado
Has anyone put a DB meter on the stock can vs HPS or SLP.
We have an 88 db max in Colorado and I am a State Safety Co-ordinator and need to comply.:face-icon-small-dis

BCB

ROKRIG

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2012
I've noticed it on my stock sled as well as the clips showing sleds with the aftermarket cans. What causes that tinny, buzzing sound when decelerating on these etec's? Is it a characteristic of the motor or the exhaust?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I already posted I was staying stock, but getting that damned thing back on without pulling the hood was driving me nuts. (I like to check chaincase tension regularly.) I think it took 5 tries before I got the stock can back on without dropping the LAST spring in the bellypan. Lots of yelling that night.
Anyway, I tried an SLP on one of my sleds tonight, very happy. Install took less than ten minutes, including installing their brackets. Slightly better growl at idle. (Sounds like a sled now, instead of a sled with a sock jammed in the exhaust.) Not a whole lot louder on the trail/hill that I could notice, but a little more bark. Funny thing, I was running up the same trail I ran up two nights ago with the stocker, and I got the "over-rev" indicator on the guage. I hit an icy spot, but it was icy the other night too. No funny running, other than the usual funny running that my sled has been doing. Power seemed unchanged. Happy with it. Hated my HPS last year on my PC Cat, it KILLED my low end. Best thing about the SLP? $425 shipped for two of them. :)

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I've noticed it on my stock sled as well as the clips showing sleds with the aftermarket cans. What causes that tinny, buzzing sound when decelerating on these etec's? Is it a characteristic of the motor or the exhaust?

Doos have a lot of clutch guard/housing rattle from what I have seen. They also like to backfire a lot for some reason, in the exhaust when the exhaust gets hot. Then they also do strange things like they are possessed and for no reason. One ride my Freeride started backfiring in every corner, losing power, did all kinds of strange things. I thought it was fouling plugs. Took it to the dealer, they put it on the computer and pulled powervalve codes, as well as a "grounded EGT sensor" code or something. There may have been a third. It hasn't done it since.

S
Dec 8, 2012
ND
That is what emissions standards are all about "overkill". Yes they are very heavy but it is what it is I guess. I have a Carbon Can and it runs great but sometimes annoying, I put it on because I found myself a lot of times taking off from the group and everyone said they had no idea where I was cuz the e tecs are so quiet so that was my reasoning. as far as weight, maybe we should start thinking about dropping a few pounds off of our own bodies instead, or just take a big sh*t before you head out!!:lol:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
LOL! I said to my bud that I was puitting cans on, he said "at least we can hear where you are now." I tend to wander from my group on rides.........SLP VS stock weights on the way.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Stock, with both rubbers, minus the one that sticks to the sled, I forgot to pull it off: 18 pounds, 3.5 oz
SLP, minus the one rivet and two spring tabs: 8 pounds 14 oz.
The benefit for me is being able to chekc chaincase tension in 30 seconds.

Premium Features