• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What skis for m series

J

jnj55024

Sep 22, 2009
Farmington, MN
I used simmons gen1 last year going to try Powder Pros this year.

I am wondering what you didn't like about the Gen I Simmons?

I just got my 08 M8 last year in Feb, rode mostly trails here in MN but I love the Simmons on the trail. They dart much less if at all compared to the stock skis.

Do they have some bad tendencies in the deep? I am heading to Togwotee this year and would like to make a change before I am disappointed with them on the powder.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Wasilla, Ak
Powder pro's

I've seen quite a few Simmons snap in half in the last few years, I use Powder Pro's. The set I have are on thier third sled now, they worked great on the first two sleds as well.

G

geberhard

Dec 18, 2008
Oxford, Mi.
www.theeberhards.com
I am wondering what you didn't like about the Gen I Simmons?

I just got my 08 M8 last year in Feb, rode mostly trails here in MN but I love the Simmons on the trail. They dart much less if at all compared to the stock skis.

Do they have some bad tendencies in the deep? I am heading to Togwotee this year and would like to make a change before I am disappointed with them on the powder.

Just trying something different. I like the simmons alot. I will be keeping these and putting them back on if I don't like the powder pros as much. I have had no problems with them. I have had them since 04, so this is the 3rd sled they are on.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I ran the PP on my 900 and real liked them so when i bought my 09 m1000 i swaped them over to the new sled. I left them on for two trips then put the stock ones back on. They worked well in the snow but i could barly turn the sled on the trail, just too much ski pressuer for that agressive keel. Most of the time i dont care how it works on the trail as long a its fun in the pow, but the amount of effort needed to trun these was rediculous. I general the sock ski is a good ski and theres no need to spend the extra $$$$ for aftermarket ones.

Z

Zone28M7

Sep 28, 2009
Louviers, CO
I'm not sure where you got your Simmons at if all they're good for is breaking turds. I've been riding them for two years and have zero complaints. The stocks were okay but for all around riding the dual carbide really makes things easier. Gives you some of the trail control back that you lose with a powder ski. Also kills it in the powder, and they're super light.

M
Dec 6, 2008
I really like my powder pros. They took probably a half an hour of riding to get used to on the trail because they seem to handle a little different than stock. Once I got into powder there was a huge difference in handling. Turns in the powder are much easier, for me atleast, many people like stock in the pow. When you turn the skis in powder without leaning the sled, it actually turns some which helps me alot. If I remember correctly with stock skis you would turn the skis in powder and still go straight. Plus better sidehilling and floatation I would recomend powder pros. I'll admit i've only ridden one other aftermarket ski (i think powderhounds? it was a long time ago) but I liked the powderpros much better.

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
2 skis to comment on:

- SLP Tri Keel: absolutely got rid of any darting I had with stock skis on the trail, works great in the powder with great float as they have a bit more surfacce area. Do not like these in the spring snow conditions because the tri-keel just takes that much more steering effort in the packed/heavier snow that I think it could possibly contribute to steering linkage/assembly wear since I'm cranking on the bars so much harder.

- Simmons Flexi-Ski: got rid of a fair amount of darting over stock skis but not all I found. Decent float but are bit shorter than the SLP's so they have a bit less float. I also found that the tips are set a bit lower than stock and SLP so with a certain powder depth I found they always kicked up a bit more snow at me than the others. Even when carving they seem to kick a bit more at the ends. Not a big deal but just something I noticed. Spring conditions they are pretty good, harder to crank around than stock but not as hard as SLP's.

- Bonus ski :) Stock: Not happy at all with these on the trail due to the darting (hate uncontrolled direction changes, however I do it all the time with destructive results in the trees). Not too shabby in the pow and I dont really notice too drastic a difference between these and the SLP's. Other than the trail ride in I like stock for spring snow conditions. They take the least effort to turn in the spring snow.

Never really worried about the weight of them as they are relatively close but the SLP's are probably heaviest due to all the extra plastic in them and I only have the high tech finger dangle weigh scale to go by.

Overall in my opinion I find them rating 1st choice to 3rd choice as:

Trail: SLP Tri Keel - 1, Simmons - 2, Stock - 3
Powder: SLP Tri Keel - 1, Stock - 2, Simmons - 3 (but not by much)
Spring Snow: Stock - 1, Simmons - 2, SLP Tri Keel - 3
Weight (measured on the finger dangle weigh scale, recently calibrated): Stock - 1, Simmons - 2, SLP Tri Keel - 3

Overall I rate SLP Tri Keel 1st, Simmons 2nd, Stock 3rd and I use the SLP's as my primary ski and switch to stock for spring riding.

Hope that helps.

Bill1010630

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
British Columbia
Try the Bearcat skis, they are a popular addition in our area, especially on the M1000.They work well in both the powder and the hard pack and I believe Cat is now selling them as a kit.

A

ARICH

Dec 5, 2007
C&A are my fav, great on the trail & the pow
I also dont mind powder pros

does anyone know what the stock skis weigh with the carbide?

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I really like my powder pros. They really improve handling in deep snow compared to stock. I wrecked my track and had to ride the back up sled on my last trip which has simmons gen I skis on it. I hated them after i had rode with my PP's. They were so much harder to turn on the trail (but they didn't dart like the PP's), they tossed a lot of snow in my face when riding in deep snow, they don't hold a sidehill as well as the PP's either. I didn't notice much of a difference in flotation between the two skis though. Both of these sleds were 09 crossfire 800 141's with 2.25 inch tracks.

Premium Features