• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What Makes the 800 down on Power? (lots of 2 stroke info)

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Warranty doesnt last forever and im looking for stuff to do with this engine
that's easy, send it out to Carl's, Indy Dan, or Brad and say..make it rip..and pay the bill when its done..you will have a rippin reliable motor...if you really want the rip..pull that motor, set it on the shelf, call Brad and ask for his billet motor..then add a turbo to it..and you are done ready to ride for the next 10 yrs......

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
I will add one more little tidbit that will really get the engine guys going...there is nothing that wrong with a stock Polaris pison..Yep that's right, they are quite fine for a stock piston..the cylinder is the problem...(anyone wonder why Carl's uses their own cylinders for their bigbore? ) the stock cylinder just doesn't have enough meat to hold a round symmetrical bore when run hard. Why you ask? well if you set a Polaris cylinder next to a cat first thing you will notice is the casting is just lighter, not as much material, not as big of water passages(holds less coolant) and most important, a deep exhaust port/powervalve passage which allows a lot of exhaust heat to be retained in that side of the casting, and when combined with less casting thickness causes the cylinder to distort out of round more especially above the exhaust port. that's why everyone want to sell you pistons for your motor..they are trying to do a better job controlling the piston expansion/contraction so they can tighten bore clearences and make it live when in reality what would fix it is a better/stiffer cylinder with better cooling around the exhaust port..(hint, go look at Polaris ultra cylinders..first year vrs last year..quite obvious)

So something like a better cooling head and maybe a higher flowing bypass thermostat would be a good thing?

R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
that's easy, send it out to Carl's, Indy Dan, or Brad and say..make it rip..and pay the bill when its done..you will have a rippin reliable motor...if you really want the rip..pull that motor, set it on the shelf, call Brad and ask for his billet motor..then add a turbo to it..and you are done ready to ride for the next 10 yrs......
as much as id love all of that...carls doesnt have any dyno numbers for their 900 and im not paying almost 6k for something like that turbo sounds like a good option, aerocharger seems the way to go as boondocker wont even put up any specs about their stuff

08F6SP

May 27, 2011
For those who are really interested in learning more about building hipo engines(doesn't matter, 2 stroke/4 stroke/ diesel, 1 cylinder to 20, this book is a great read and will really help you understand the dynamics of a engine..including block stiffness, rod ratios(both mechanical forces and how it alters port flow/volume), how port volume/flow/design all interact in relation to HP/torque and rpm... its old..but still 100% applies, the man who shares the info is by far and away one of the premier engine builders to ever touch a wrench to anything...

http://www.amazon.com/Chevrolet-Racing-Engine-Bill-Jenkins/dp/0931472016

Here's another great one to read..........................
http://www.amazon.com/Smokey-Yunicks-Power-Secrets-Yunick/dp/0931472067

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
So something like a better cooling head and maybe a higher flowing bypass thermostat would be a good thing?
I wouldn't, I want that motor to stay as close to one temp at all times as possible(sudden heating/cooling causes rapid expansion/contraction of blocks/cylinders and such...bone stock sled..ride it, make darn sure everytime it fires up you warm it up to at least 120 before railing on it...

R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
Haha your absolutely right. Definatly go with areocharger. The fact that they post up specs must mean its better......:face-icon-small-con

Ohh hehe

How much does a bd turbo cost? 6k? If they arent going to atleast dyno them for pump gas, av gas, and then race gas im not buying it from them

They post hp numbers for their other sled turbo kits

I guess lots of guys here just blindly throw away 6 thousand dollars

But hey...its not my money so im not going to worry about it...have fun with that

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
as much as id love all of that...carls doesnt have any dyno numbers for their 900 and im not paying almost 6k for something like that turbo sounds like a good option, aerocharger seems the way to go as boondocker wont even put up any specs about their stuff
Yeah, theres a reason why Carl's doesn't post numbers...and anyone with any time on a sled should know who in the industry is worth a tinkers damn. Carl's is Polaris..and quality..above and beyond most anyone else in the industry when it comes to making a Polaris run... as for throwing a turbo on a stocker..yeah it will go for a while..secret here...replace the pistons every 1500 miles max...and inspect the cylinders closely..but yeah that's one way to do it....

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
Yeah, theres a reason why Carl's doesn't post numbers...and anyone with any time on a sled should know who in the industry is worth a tinkers damn. Carl's is Polaris..and quality..above and beyond most anyone else in the industry when it comes to making a Polaris run... as for throwing a turbo on a stocker..yeah it will go for a while..secret here...replace the pistons every 1500 miles max...and inspect the cylinders closely..but yeah that's one way to do it....

Is there a reason carls is hiding how much more hp they have than stock? I wouldnt have a problem with it really...that is if it werent 6 thousand dollars...lots of claims that the carls 900pulls alot better than a turbo...but too bad no one posts what the torque curve looks like on a turbo...or the carls engine...and i want to be damn certain of what to expect when forking over the kindof money it takes to buy these things

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Is there a reason carls is hiding how much more hp they have than stock? I wouldnt have a problem with it really...that is if it werent 6 thousand dollars...lots of claims that the carls 900pulls alot better than a turbo...but too bad no one posts what the torque curve looks like on a turbo...or the carls engine...and i want to be damn certain of what to expect when forking over the kindof money it takes to buy these things
simple way to find out, this winter when we get some snow..call Carls, ask for Jack or chris, tell them you want to buy a 860 kit..but first you want a test ride to compare it to a turbo..I would bet they will be more then happy to bring both a 860 and a turbo sled out on the hill..then you don't have to trust any specs, promises or anything else..proof in the pudding so to speak...

R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
simple way to find out, this winter when we get some snow..call Carls, ask for Jack or chris, tell them you want to buy a 860 kit..but first you want a test ride to compare it to a turbo..I would bet they will be more then happy to bring both a 860 and a turbo sled out on the hill..then you don't have to trust any specs, promises or anything else..proof in the pudding so to speak...

That option isnt always open for everyone since some of us dont live in the lower 48

If carls would pay my way from Alaska instead of just getting only 1 of their engines dynoed and postinf up the sheet on their web page...then yes...i would probably buy a carls big bore

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
That option isnt always open for everyone since some of us dont live in the lower 48

If carls would pay my way from Alaska instead of just getting only 1 of their engines dynoed and postinf up the sheet on their web page...then yes...i would probably buy a carls big bore
yeah I live here in ak as well...you do realize there are some carls motors here right? shouldn't be to hard to ride along for a day and at least compare how it compares to other sleds even if you don't get a try on it...

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007

Why are you so hung up on dyno numbers?? Kelsey already told you in this thread they are nothing but a tunning tool, which they are. There are so many variables when it comes to dynos there not worth claiming numbers cause people like you will call them a liar anyways.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Especially as your up here in ak. Things run different up here. I've only seen one aerocharger kit up here and it ran like hammered dog $h!t. Even the big bores have to have completely different box numbers up here.

R
Sep 8, 2013
Interior Alaska
Why are you so hung up on dyno numbers?? Kelsey already told you in this thread they are nothing but a tunning tool, which they are. There are so many variables when it comes to dynos there not worth claiming numbers cause people like you will call them a liar anyways.

For 6 thkusand dollars i would expect a dyno sheet...to see how much horsepower gained and the power curve

Its a real shame after how many years of building engine kits and turbos for 6k and these companies still cant just put the dyno up

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
For 6 thkusand dollars i would expect a dyno sheet...to see how much horsepower gained and the power curve

Its a real shame after how many years of building engine kits and turbos for 6k and these companies still cant just put the dyno up

I got some crayons, I could draw you one.... Which color would you like?:face-icon-small-win

Premium Features