• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What do you wear for a base layer

What is everyone wearing for base layer clothing? I've always just worn regular thermals but my wife says she is too cold no matter how much she puts on. I know there are quite a few snow related companies making base layer stuff now but is it really that much warmer to make it worth the big $$? Thanks

starrsleds

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2008
My wife bought klim base layer last year said she would never ride without it again. I usually just use the cheaper starter brand from shopko and it makes a heck of a diffrence. It just seems as tho u dont have to put near as many layers on.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
the cheapest underarmor knockoff i can find. i have klim, i have underarmor, i have eddie bauer................it all works the same as the cheap chit i bought at target

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Under armour cold gear is worth every penny. I can't wear it riding because it is to hot but I use it hunting all the time. My wife loves her under armour cold gear.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
I've been using cabelas military weight thermals thet are comfortable' wick well ,and seem to stay dry, they were a little more than I normally pay around 50 bucks but well worth the extra dollars imo

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
I wear Cabela's silk weight underwear, I stay warm and most importantly, DRY. I like light layers for added flexibility for temperature control (Klim mid layer and outer shell normally) and carry a polor fleece shirt if added warmth is needed late in the day on the way back to the truck.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Under armor on the legs with non insulated pants, good wool socks, and some sort of merino wool long sleeve shirt, then shell jacket. If it's cold I add a fleece long sleeve (still insulates some when wet). If it's really cold I add a softshell jacket up top and fleece pants over the under armor tights. I stay warm just fine except my fingers, and sometimes toes (had junk boots all last year, and grip heaters died in January--all taken care of now).

adairtd1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2011
La Grande, Oregon
Sweat pants and a long sleeve t shirt, with i insulated pants and pullover

I do have a set of klim Everest pants, for when it is exceptionally cold, and they are awesome.

zachman33

Lifetime Membership
Feb 19, 2011
Washington
The new Under Armor cold gear micro climate stuff. Got it for Xmas last year mad will never wear anything else!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

L

LuckydawgAK

Feb 13, 2011
Aurora, CO
I'm a big fan of a light weight Smartwool. Under Armor is fantastic stuff but when I'm moving it's too hot for me. I line Capilene on warmer days (25 and above). It wicks really well but at days end it sure is stinky whereas I can get multiple rides with Smartwool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features