• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

welding titanium can

M
Feb 6, 2010
Munising, Mi.
i have a titanium can that is rattling on the inside. anyone have advice on how to cut and weld it? i know a couple guys who weld good, but have never worked with titanium

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
You'll have to call the manufacturer and find out what grade to you have, buy the appropriate filler rod, appropriate tungsten, pure argon, have two argon regulators one for your tig and the other for back purge.
Ask the mfg which side the baffle is welded to so you cut off that end of the can. Clean clean clean de burr and fit the pieces. Final clean pre weld with acetone and give er

leisureexpress

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 27, 2008
Pretty much anyone with a tig welder, 2% tungsten, argon and about 12" + of 6al4v (the most common) 1/16" Titanium rod could probably fix it. I'm talking about stopping the rattle by getting it to stick together again, not necessarily providing an aerospace quality weld that would pass a structural test on an aerospace application (aka needing the back purging). Titanium welds about like stainless heat / puddle wise.

Premium Features