• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Walked out of the mountains Xmas Eve

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
D
Feb 3, 2010
Back when I first started riding I had a similar experience. Had to hike out 3 miles after dark. Funny how the same things you mentioned were exactly the same for us. Cell service and friends on the way, food and water, ect. Took two trips back in to get the sleds out. They were completely buried.

One note on this - although you (and us) were not in immediate danger one minor injury or mishap would have changed that. Thinking back I was very grateful for that.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Todays sleds are so good and reliable we are getting so far and so deep im surprised this doesnt happen more often. Well done getting out:face-icon-small-hap

B

bretton_s

Jul 22, 2010
Dawson Creek, BC
You guys are exactly right. I am thankful I didn't get hurt or was so fatigued that we couldn't get out. My hip flexors were SHOT by the end and I was stumbling along at the end there. My wife had to help me out of bed the next day, and I could hardly walk up steps, haha. Brutal.

So we got the sleds out yesterday. It was sooo good to get my sled back into the shop and warming up, and even to see them leave the snow has the AStar lifted them out. Having a heli at your disposal has got to be one of the awesomest things in the world.

We had to come in for a hover landing (me and another buddy) while Aaron - my original partner in crime - brought us in through this TIGHT break in the trees. We were all a little shaky after we bailed and he pulled out. So intense! There must have been no more than 10 feet clearance from the trees/rotors on each side. Snow flying everywhere like mad too! I GENTLY stepped onto each step and then finally the skid where I hopped off into the deep stuff and almost dissappeared. We had to move slowly so that he could correct for the weight transfer. Then my buddy handed me all our gear including slings, shovels, snowshoes, etc. before hoping out himself. Each time I took something from him we both got an insane shock (we were warned this would happen). It felt very close to a 120v shock from a house outlet, really. But we were friggin giving er as the rotors were right above us thunderingly loud and we both knew he was having trouble holding the hover in such a tight place. More blizzard action through-out this all - sooo crazy. He took off and we celebrated being alive! We couldn't even take photos or video properly because our hands were shaking so bad! We aren't pansies but that was so intense. Props to my buddy for his piloting skill.

We shoed up and started walking towards where the sleds would be. Over the 2 days we were away there had been 4.5 feet of fresh snow! I expected a lot but to see it in person is insane. We saw mine first - there was only the handlebars sticking out! Good thing we had GPS waypoints. The dig was not too bad but we were rushed because the AStar was airborn and burning fuel fast. (= CA$H) We had to get him to land because they we just so far buried and frozen down that it took longer to find the a-arms, etc. for the slings. We dug mine out and I rigged it up while my buddy hiked further up through this insanely deep powder to start on the second 163 which would be buried worse. Mine at least was not stuck when I left it but his was trenched down deep, right to the ground and was frozen hard. Check the pics below for what it looked like. Good memories!

We got them both rigged and the heli came back with a 100ft longline. The propwash was so intense! It was an insane blizzard under there and trying to watch for the incoming hook (while trying to avoid getting taken out or having it impact the sled as it swayed) was very difficult. Any exposed skin instantly became unbearable. My buddy and I are both northern-raised and endure (and work outside in) -40C/-40F winters every year but we both knew nothing that cold. It was all you could do to not turtle. I finally hooked the sled and radioed him to lift (not that I could hear a THING) and watched in awsomeness as the sled lifted up and past me homeward bound. It was a little frightening as the sled got higher than me as it was directly above me and I knew that if it somehow dropped (after all, I had done the rigging lol) I would be toast. My buddy tried to take some snaps be could hardly see a thing. I was so stoked to see it out!! Nothing better. We were both having a blast at that point! Who does stuff like that afterall? Awesome.

The second sled came out must the same, with a little wrinkle. The slings got tangled in a nearby tree and I was panicing as I raced to untangle it before he lifted. The radio was pretty ineffective at that point - I doubted he could hear me with all the noise and wind. It worked and my buddy piloted it expertly out of the trench we dug and kept it off the immediately nearby trees. Done! All that remained was the hike out. Fortuantely a more open clearing was spotted further down the creek so we snowshoed our way down .3 of a km through the deep stuff. My hip flexors started acting up again but we were given a half hour to make it. We did and the heli was able to touch the from of its skids on the snow to help stablize the hover and we reversed the process. No shocks here thank goodness. :face-icon-small-hap

I'll post some pics too. We had lots of fun with the rescue and only a little damage to the sleds, done as we rode up that day. We certainly won't be doing that again but the experience was something else I tell you. You have no idea (or maybe some of you do) how sweet it feels to see the sleds lift out of the snow as if by magic, with all the effort at manual recovery would have taken now suddenly gone. The sleds sit in my shop happy and warm. I hope they forgive us for leaving them in the hills for 2 nights!

Hope you enjoyed the story - at our expense. :face-icon-small-win

z2.JPG z9.JPG

B

bretton_s

Jul 22, 2010
Dawson Creek, BC
Some more pics.
  1. This is where we came UP from the previous day a kilometer or 2. Yeah, pretty rediculous.
  2. Another of my buddies sled, half dug out.
  3. Me, in the hole. All hooked up ready to attach to the heli.
  4. This one is crazy. It's the scene under that heli as he hovered for attachment. I have no idea how my buddy got this as he was taking photos blind. Great shot that captures the moment.
  5. Headed to the truck!
  6. Happy dudes, having got the deed done, just after the chopper left us.
  7. A final stuck pic.
Oh, and we were riding in Hassler area, just outside of Chetwynd, BC. This is northeast BC.

z3.JPG z4.JPG z5.JPG z6.JPG z7.jpg Z8.JPG z9.JPG

Last edited:

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
haha that is a pretty cool pic of your sled just "magically" hovering above you! Glad you made it safe...I had a VERY similar experience to yours but my friend and I luckily made it out of the ravine and into the valley back to the trail. I've never been that tired before in my life! But then again mine wasn't on Christmas Eve! haha
Happy Holidays,
-Justin

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Heck of a Christmas Eve!
Glad to see you and your sleds all made it out safely.

Just curious.

if you had had to stay overnight, looking back on it, did you have everything with you that you would take the next time go deep into the woods???

B

bretton_s

Jul 22, 2010
Dawson Creek, BC
I hear ya Justin. Sooo tired. It's not often us north americans get pushed that hard! It's almost like working for survival elsewhere in the world. :face-icon-small-ton

Christopher, I think you meant would we bring anything else that we didn't, correct? I would have brought something to lay on - an emergency blanket or shelter, just to separate my body form the snow should an overnighter be necessary. I'll start shopping for that for sure. Other than that, I'm not sure there's realistically anything else that would have helped that much. Besides a SPOT messenger, anyway. We are looking at the SPOT/GPS combo with airial photos. That would have been sweet. We also found out from the air that there was a logging cut-block 100m from us at one point. A birds-eye view would have spotted that for sure and saved us a huge disaster! Other than that we were prepared "OK" for what was going to be "just a short ride" before Christmas. :face-icon-small-sho

Also, had my buddy not had connections in the heli department he calculated that the rescue would have cost $6000!!! Ouch! If the walk doesn't deter future retardations, the price tag sure would.​

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Glad to hear it.
That means you were pretty well prepared to spend the night on the mountain which is something far too many are NOT prepared to do.

A couple weeks ago I added this to my back pack for exactly the reason you mentioned.

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/seating/fast-and-light-seating/lite-seat/product

This miniature ProLite™ mattress is the ideal companion for fast-and-light journeys, or anywhere space is at a premium. It rolls up small enough to carry in your pocket.
tar_liteseat_pom.jpg

Its TINY, rolls up into a little tube, fits easily in my pack, weighs only a couple ounces, and once inflated will keep my butt off the snow if I had to sit in the curled up ball position in front of a fire over night.

BossRev

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Wow Chris you must lug and extra 500 lbs with you on the mountain with
all your survival gear

Pine bows work great for insulation..

IMG00318.jpg

Waited out a pretty vicious storm here, stay warm, stayed dry and nothing to
un pack or pack up.:face-icon-small-win

B

bretton_s

Jul 22, 2010
Dawson Creek, BC
Wow Chris you must lug and extra 500 lbs with you on the mountain with
all your survival gear

Pine bows work great for insulation..

IMG00318.jpg

Waited out a pretty vicious storm here, stay warm, stayed dry and nothing to
un pack or pack up.:face-icon-small-win

Good idea. Looks pretty comfy actually. I think I may look for one of those reflective emergency blankets still to keep some body heat in. Can anyone confirm if they actually work? The thermarest might be nice too, if only for chillaxin. :)

H

harper

Dec 16, 2007
manitoba
Thanks for Posting that, a good read that only backs up how prepared we need to be in the back country.

Glad you made it out to tell the tale.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Take your seat off and use it or a tunnel bag, then if hiking out take seat and shovel with you for crawling (hand snow shoe) and walking.

I hear ya Justin. Sooo tired. It's not often us north americans get pushed that hard! It's almost like working for survival elsewhere in the world. :face-icon-small-ton

Christopher, I think you meant would we bring anything else that we didn't, correct? I would have brought something to lay on - an emergency blanket or shelter, just to separate my body form the snow should an overnighter be necessary. I'll start shopping for that for sure. Other than that, I'm not sure there's realistically anything else that would have helped that much. Besides a SPOT messenger, anyway. We are looking at the SPOT/GPS combo with airial photos. That would have been sweet. We also found out from the air that there was a logging cut-block 100m from us at one point. A birds-eye view would have spotted that for sure and saved us a huge disaster! Other than that we were prepared "OK" for what was going to be "just a short ride" before Christmas. :face-icon-small-sho

Also, had my buddy not had connections in the heli department he calculated that the rescue would have cost $6000!!! Ouch! If the walk doesn't deter future retardations, the price tag sure would.​

Last edited:
S

scrfce

Oct 10, 2009
bc
Good idea. Looks pretty comfy actually. I think I may look for one of those reflective emergency blankets still to keep some body heat in. Can anyone confirm if they actually work? The thermarest might be nice too, if only for chillaxin. :)
go to wholesale sports and theyll be able to hook you up with almost everthing you need,reflective blanket,pen flares,gps,tinder, whatever. sounds like you need to rethink what you need to carry for survival gear. imho cargo pants dont cut it, nice to see ya got out good tho.

F

flying pig

Jan 17, 2008
Wembley Alberta Canada
funny how fast things can get serious. I ran out of fuel in the kakwa somewhere near border town on the way back from a very remote and far out there zone. I was daydreaming about the ride and not paying attention to where I was. Wasn't sure if I was back in Alberta yet or not and was kinda panicky. My riding buddy was super low on fuel too so I knew he was at least going to camp first, and if it was only him there I may be stayin out there all night. Thats when I realized I had no matches:face-icon-small-dis

Needless to say I was only out there a few hours but scary enough. Oh yeah if you ride a premixed sled take some of your oil too! Oh and fire near the base of spruce trees is a bad idea, when the snow gets wet and heavy it'll fall on you n now ur soaked.

L
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Forks BC Canada
funny how fast things can get serious. I ran out of fuel in the kakwa somewhere near border town on the way back from a very remote and far out there zone. I was daydreaming about the ride and not paying attention to where I was. Wasn't sure if I was back in Alberta yet or not and was kinda panicky. My riding buddy was super low on fuel too so I knew he was at least going to camp first, and if it was only him there I may be stayin out there all night. Thats when I realized I had no matches:face-icon-small-dis

Needless to say I was only out there a few hours but scary enough. Oh yeah if you ride a premixed sled take some of your oil too! Oh and fire near the base of spruce trees is a bad idea, when the snow gets wet and heavy it'll fall on you n now ur soaked.

It's surprising how hard it is to get a fire going sometimes, I don't depend on it.
We were out cutting a trail a few weeks back, quite wet out, we tried to light a fire for lunch. With chainsaws to make shavings and lots of gas it took over two hours to get enough of a fire to roast a couple of hotdogs.

I carry a tiny alchohol stove, lights instantly and will boil a liter of water in 10 minutes.

W

will

Mar 16, 2008
Calgary
Starting a fire

Interesting that you couldn't get the fire started with gasoline on hand. I tried explaining this very same thing to someone this year and they wouldn't believe me, I guess if you haven't personally exsperienced it you wouldn't believe it but, I have. I have built fires with next to nothing in rain and wet snow so knowledge isn't an issue. I'm sure there are people who are better fire starters than me but, as result I also carry one of those hi-tech folding stoves and two fuel cells.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
the cheapy apace blanket shave their purpose, but go for the little bit heavier bivvy sack...it is MUCH better, and zips up to protect you...it is worth finding room on your sled for it..

146_335x335.jpg

AMK0115-ONECOL_D1.jpg

I think a few on here sell them, but they are worth every ounce and penny in situations where you must stay...Also, if you have a buddy hurt, it can help them stabilize temps...

Last edited:
T

thinksnow

Nov 26, 2007
DICKINSON, ND
I carry vasaline soaked cottonballs in my pack. They are supposed to be excellent fire starters. I haven't tried them though. I should probably give them a shot BEFORE I actually NEED them. I also carry a small amount of cloths line rope and a space blanket in my pack just in case.

L
Nov 26, 2007
Grand Forks BC Canada
Sorry about the different direction on this post, but has anyone tried other types of alchohol in their stoves, I have tried gasline antifreeze seems to work ok, the local hardware carries alchohol stove fuel at $18 a liter or $35 a gal, the grocery store carries fondu fuel at $4 a liter, what's the difference in how they burn?

Premium Features