• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Van Amburg vs Fabcraft

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
So this summer i'm looking at doing some more work to my firecat: chaincase drop and roll, skid set back, and custom tunnel, new ski's, possibly new clutches.

Just curious to see what people's different opinions are on the two different brands of tunnels.

Van amburg is a very visually pleasing tunnel. But are they light? They look very well built and look extremely tough. I also like how they have the rear steps on an angle, that's extremely helpful i find.

Fabcraft has a deal on right now for their tunnels for the firecat, their tunnels look very light. But how is the strength on these tunnels, they look rather thin?

Last edited:

ragincajun

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls Mt
the fabcraft guys are top notch!!!!! their tunnels are nice and they are strong from what i hear. i know their skids are light and work great! i know a bunch of people who have delt directly with them and have been very happy. very nice people and they know their stuff!!!!

Boostfreak

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2002
Lander, Wyoming
I have had two vanam boonbock tunnels and both have been awesome! Cant remember weight difference on my 900 cat but it was a big improvement over stock on handling in the pow. Also have one on my turbo apex and it works great everywhere. believe it was supposed to be around fifteen pounds less. I would buy one again.:nod:

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Have a F7 w/ Fabcraft tunnel and CMX belt drive that might need parted out. Fun sled but looking to put the motor in M chassis to get a wider track. PM me if you are interested.

My vote would go to Van Amburg. Had their boondock tunnel on my 05 rev powdercoated white and it was awesome. Not only extremely visually pleasing but the tunnel was second to none when it came to strength. Couldn't tell you the weight difference or savings but it didn't matter to me. The quality of their product is amazing. Couldn't tell you about a fabcraft tunnel, seems like people are happy with them but if I was to do it all over again it would be a VA tunnel no questions asked.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Haha, this is going to be a big decision for me. Still exactly where I was before I posted. I really like the van amburg bug. For $800 less I could get the other. Toughie.

What are your all opinions on skids? I'm thinking of getting ice age rails, or maybe mountain tamer.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Both make a great product, I also like evans marine carbon fiber, insane strength and super super light. IMHO I like the smooth look of the fabcraft better, not one for all the angles/side plates

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
BOTH are great companies. BOTH are great people.

I bought my tunnel and Boss seat from VE and I've done a LOT of work with Fabcraft over the years. A LOT.
Mike and Monica, & Steve, are really good people.

Under my Van Amburg tunnel I had Ice Age rails with a timbersled MTN. Tamer rear suspension, also a very great product. I don't think you can go wrong with a mountain tamer skid for the price and quality it is awesome. Same with Ice Age rails, if and when I bend my stock rails Ice Age will the the route I go again. I would really like to try an EZ-RYDE skid but for the money timbersled is where its at.

S
Dec 24, 2009
Northern Minnesota
IMO Fabcraft takes it. Both are really great brands, so i wont knock anyone. But ive got a few friends with VE boondocker tunnels, and the angles are so extreme that if the get out in the deep, and burry they are hosed cuz they cant lift it out. Fabcraft has a similar tunnel like the boondocker with the angeled foot holds. A big bonus is Fabcrafts running boards are strong mesh to expell all snow, and running board coolers too. Absoulutly no snow build up! You gotta love that!:face-icon-small-coo

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Both make a great product, I also like evans marine carbon fiber, insane strength and super super light. IMHO I like the smooth look of the fabcraft better, not one for all the angles/side plates
That is interesting, never through of a carbon fiber tunnel. That would be insanely light. Plus the it looks kind of neat as well. My only concern is the price. It would probably cost $2,000+ for that much carbon fiber.
Under my Van Amburg tunnel I had Ice Age rails with a timbersled MTN. Tamer rear suspension, also a very great product. I don't think you can go wrong with a mountain tamer skid for the price and quality it is awesome. Same with Ice Age rails, if and when I bend my stock rails Ice Age will the the route I go again. I would really like to try an EZ-RYDE skid but for the money timbersled is where its at.
I really like the mountain tamer, i think that's what i'm set on for a skid, mountain tamer suspension with ice age rails. I hope they make a MTN Tamer suspension for firecats.
IMO Fabcraft takes it. Both are really great brands, so i wont knock anyone. But ive got a few friends with VE boondocker tunnels, and the angles are so extreme that if the get out in the deep, and burry they are hosed cuz they cant lift it out. Fabcraft has a similar tunnel like the boondocker with the angeled foot holds. A big bonus is Fabcrafts running boards are strong mesh to expell all snow, and running board coolers too. Absoulutly no snow build up! You gotta love that!:face-icon-small-coo
I never really thought of the angle on them. But i do like the angle for around here, the snow isn't soft, so having the tunnel drag puts a lot of stress on everything. And i have to agree i do like the fabcraft running boards. Great idea on their part.
BOTH are great companies. BOTH are great people.

I bought my tunnel and Boss seat from VE and I've done a LOT of work with Fabcraft over the years. A LOT.
Mike and Monica, & Steve, are really good people.

I need to find a Boss seat to put on my sled as well, gotta add that to the list. My 04 seat is like a lazy boy, i'm 6'3" and my knee's are at my chest basically when i sit down.

Still this is a tough one. I like the look of the VA and the strength, but i like the simplicity, running boards, and price on the Fabcraft. And now the Carbon Fiber tunnel thrown into there too! Jeeze. Haha

Thanks so much for the posts guys. Appreciate it.

Premium Features