• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Two different weights used in a 4 tower clutch?

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
Ok so just an off the wall question.... on a Comet 4 tower pro clutch they say you can tune it with two weights opposite each other, and when dialed in divide it in half and install 4 lighter weights. Ok, understand that. So what if you installed 4 same weight weights but two with more heel weight across from each other for low end and two with more tip weight for top end? The middle would balance out at some point, just thinking out loud. Ideas?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
It is best to have 4 even weights to keep balance in check.

I would not run a different weight profile because the weights will then be "fighting" each other as they would have different shift points.

I know many guys that ran 2 opposing with 2 of the 4 being different in weight, but I would avoid it if you can.

dansvan

Premium Member
Apr 14, 2011
So if you can tune it with only two of the same weights opposite each other, having two pairs of different weights opposite each other should still be in balance correct? Canceling each other out. And the idea is not that they would be fighting but that at the start two with more heel weight would be doing more work, then in the mid range they are all working fairly close, then at full shiftout the other two with more tip weight are carrying a higher percentage of the load. Seems to me it would be the best of all situations.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
I understand and appreciate the idea, but from my experience........running anything other than 4 evenly balanced-same profile weights caused premature spider failure.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I would avoid it with a Cat / Comet clutch as they are failure prone anyhow, even under the best conditions.

However with a billet clutch; HRP, Micro-Belmont, Tapps, etc. I've had not issues as long as you keep opposing pairs matched.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I had a hooper 1108 pro stock sled and we used a hulings 4 cam and used 2 different all the time, as well as differnt profiles,, we had back in the day about 225 hp but we only ran 1000ft but never had a problem?4 seasons on the crank ,,,or clutch problems, now the comet 4 cam with the cast parts Im not sure I would do that, they spread the towers with low HP!

Premium Features