• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

turbo or supercharger??

D
Sep 20, 2013
Maine
the broken record question.... I am new to this forum.. buying a leftover 13' nytro mtx this year and would like to boost it. Anyone buy the MPI stage one kit from Hartman inc?? I haven't purchased any kit yet but talked to him and seemed very knowledgeable and willing to back up his/mpi kit along with cold air and clutching. I know many turbo likers out there.... I am from Maine and don't have the mountains like out west but like the powder and boondocking but do mostly trail.. at sea level would the SC be the way to go? we do lots of trail riding but like to play as well. I don't want to spend the big dollars for impulse kit... im sure great kit but... want the throttle response of super but heard good things about mid mount kits too.. gas n go is what i'm looking for. tom hartmans kit is a 200hp at sea level on premium for 4995$ and is a kit that requires no sled modifications to install. we also have dumb exhaust laws around here as well, another reason I like SC kit. kit also has pulley upgrade to 220hp on race gas.. not looking for 150mph sled but 0-100 with arms being torn off is awesome to me.. Used to drag race v-max 4 and SRX, I know clutching goes a long ways.. soo anyway. anything better then a SC 200hp kit for $5k? throttle response is key.. ride with all 2 strokers..

D
Sep 20, 2013
Maine
super charger is my plan i think

thanx chris for the info.. the installation thread I can only get to page 3 before my basic membership runs up sooo, limited on the rest.. anyway, I see on other post they say the stage 1 pushes 220hp.. is that on pump gas and what kind of boost? anything I could run at sea level? also what gauges would I need for a SC? air/fuel and boost be enough? I heard water temp is another, true? I was told by a dealer that I would need to break in the sled before I install the SC, he told me I would be smart to put on 600 or so miles. true? I am getting sled in a few weeks and would like to have it installed before snow flies so not dealing with it when its time to ride. and would rather use beginning of year to do clutching and whatever other adjustments I'd need. Also, last question what prices am I talking if I wanted more power after a season or two of getting used to it? stage 2 price for installed stage 1.. I used to have a Yamaha R1 and anything that scares you in the beginning after a few seasons you can get used to and want more...... sooo anxious its crazy....

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
He he he.
I SOOOOO know that feeling!

OK, first off.
if you are seriously considering going the supercharger route, go ahead and UPGRADE your membership to premium if for no other reason that to read that ENTIRE INSTALLATION THREAD so you know 100% Exactly what you are getting yourself into.

Gauges.
I ran the first year with NO extra gauges at all.
This year I am adding a Boost, Air/Fuel Ratio and Water Temp Gauge.

Break In on the engine.
I am willing to be we will get two opinions here.
I come from the boating world.
When we built custom high end boat motors, we always supercharged them, NEVER delivered a turbo boat, not once. And, we always installed the SC on BRAND NEW engines. That way the rings seated themselves under normal boost pressures.

Yamaha has a pretty aggressive break-in period. Several Hundred miles isn't it??? So you have to ask yourself this one question.

CAN YOU CONTROL YOUR THROTTLE FINGER during those breakin miles while supercharged and NOT run the engine hard ??

D
Sep 20, 2013
Maine
I am 98% sure im going with the stage 1.. I am not worried about the installation of this product. been a mechanic for several years now and currently an engineer on oil rig.. i'd consider myself very mechanically inclined if that's what your saying.. the only 2% im questioning is if I should go turbo instead.. but with the 90% of trail riding I do it sounds like the SC is for me, quick acceleration between corners.
Just all the reviews I have read on dozens and dozens of forums everyone that replies is from your neck of the woods and never hear from people in the sea level to 2k foot range like my area.. I greatly appreciate you taking your time to help me out with this.
like I said before stock exhaust is key around here as well because we have laws that limit us to 78 decibels and give you s*!t if it even looks un-stock. just another reason shy SC looks better for me
I do like how easy it sounds to change boost on turbos when more power is wanted with shim and whatever is needed

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Did anyone ever say anything about ON THE TRAIL??
Wasn't he talking about installing a HEAD SHIM in the engine??

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
Did anyone ever say anything about ON THE TRAIL??
Wasn't he talking about installing a HEAD SHIM in the engine??

I'm not sure what he was talking about.

I was responding to your statement "there is NOTHING hard about changing boost on the SC." That is misleading. It is rather difficult to properly change pulleys on a SC.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match. I'm just saying the ability to adjust boost has always been one of the downfalls of running a SC.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I'm not sure what he was talking about.

I was responding to your statement "there is NOTHING hard about changing boost on the SC." That is misleading. It is rather difficult to properly change pulleys on a SC.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match. I'm just saying the ability to adjust boost has always been one of the downfalls of running a SC.

I guess I will just have to disagree with you on this one.
If the sled is in the garage and tools are on hand. I would guess changing the boost will take about 1 hour total.

The hardest part for me is removing the oil tank from the Nytro.

The first time around, installing the pullies was a total BEAR because I had no idea what the heck I was doing. But having installed and removed and installed them a couple times now, its a "relatively" quick operation.

By comparison, installing a set of head shims as the poster that I was replying to, is a HUGE undertaking.

D
Sep 20, 2013
Maine
I was not talking about doing any shim or pulley work on the trail... I was getting at, with a turbo it is possible of changing boost on a trail... SC not soo much.. and head shim I was talking about is going from a 200hp kit to a 240hp or 280hp kit..

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I was not talking about doing any shim or pulley work on the trail... I was getting at, with a turbo it is possible of changing boost on a trail... SC not soo much..
Agreed.
I really can't see changing pullys on the trail.
That is a SHOP job, or at least in the trailer job.

Premium Features