• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Truckboss or Marlon Explorer Pro

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I’ve got a lead on a used Truckboss deck for my F250 superduty and just trying to decide if that’s what I want vs a new Marlon Pro. Of course the used truckboss will save money. A 7’ Marlon with the extension will be around $7k plus tax and such. A used 7’ Truckboss with extensions will be $4k, no tax. Of course I’d prefer to get whats best for me, even for more $$.

Couple thoughts I’m having. I like how the truck boss is weathertight, but there is a Marlon seal kit to seal it up also.
I also like the Marlons looks, although this is a minor detail. I like that the Marlon installs and removes quickly vs the TB.

The other thing I’ve go going is the multiple uses I’m going after. Want a 7’ with extension so I can haul dirt bikes and such on the deck with our travel trailer in the summer. Don’t think this plays into the specific deck, but thought I’d mention it.

Online I’ve heard complaints of the TB quality, but you will always have issues with either and someone screaming about such.

Any input would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hushpuff

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2016
FWIW - I just bought a new Marlon for my 8' F250. Had a 6.5' Alcom previously and I can't say enough about the difference in having an all aluminum deck. The Marlon fit and finish with the superglides is outstanding. I have the weather seal kit on the new deck and I am thrilled to have it, I haven't figured out the tailgate seal yet but it did come with the pieces to make it a full seal all the way around. There are no instructions for this anywhere to be found. I just installed the rear track super clamps but haven't used them, not something I view as a necessity but a nice thing to have and they came with the deck so I put them on and will run them.

After using an 8' deck I don't think I'd ever consider going back to a 6.5' deck even if I get a short bed truck again. Marlon's extension would be the only way I'd consider a shorter deck.

I had to put the Marlon on the included spacers all the way to the highest position to access the cotter pins on the front portions of the slides but the weather seal kit does make good contact on all of the bed rails.

My only gripe so far with the new Marlon is that they put a new Putco blade light on the back which is pretty awesome looking but there are issues with the connectivity for the 2017+ Fords. The harness they included connects to the back of the 7-pin connector and functions but does not work with tail lights and brake lights simultaneously so you get random errors on the dash if you are coming to a stop with your blinker on. It does go away but I would prefer it to work with no issue. I was able to get ahold of Marlon USA and order another adapter so it may solve that issue.

Other gripe is the new ramp is pretty big and can be difficult to man-handle if you're solo.

The adjustable tiedowns on the side of the Marlon will definitely allow you to tie down bikes up I would plan to take the deck out over the summer, that deck is pretty high up there and getting a bike up and down would be a chore.

No experience with the truck boss, sorry.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
FWIW - I just bought a new Marlon for my 8' F250. Had a 6.5' Alcom previously and I can't say enough about the difference in having an all aluminum deck. The Marlon fit and finish with the superglides is outstanding. I have the weather seal kit on the new deck and I am thrilled to have it, I haven't figured out the tailgate seal yet but it did come with the pieces to make it a full seal all the way around. There are no instructions for this anywhere to be found. I just installed the rear track super clamps but haven't used them, not something I view as a necessity but a nice thing to have and they came with the deck so I put them on and will run them.

After using an 8' deck I don't think I'd ever consider going back to a 6.5' deck even if I get a short bed truck again. Marlon's extension would be the only way I'd consider a shorter deck.

I had to put the Marlon on the included spacers all the way to the highest position to access the cotter pins on the front portions of the slides but the weather seal kit does make good contact on all of the bed rails.

My only gripe so far with the new Marlon is that they put a new Putco blade light on the back which is pretty awesome looking but there are issues with the connectivity for the 2017+ Fords. The harness they included connects to the back of the 7-pin connector and functions but does not work with tail lights and brake lights simultaneously so you get random errors on the dash if you are coming to a stop with your blinker on. It does go away but I would prefer it to work with no issue. I was able to get ahold of Marlon USA and order another adapter so it may solve that issue.

Other gripe is the new ramp is pretty big and can be difficult to man-handle if you're solo.

The adjustable tiedowns on the side of the Marlon will definitely allow you to tie down bikes up I would plan to take the deck out over the summer, that deck is pretty high up there and getting a bike up and down would be a chore.

No experience with the truck boss, sorry.

Thanks a lot! Great info, I appreciate it Good point on getting bikes up on it too.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
The more I read about the TB, it seems like a major PiTA deck to put on and take off. Guys that don’t like then, hate them! Not really finding or hearing much hate on the Marlon.
I guess I’ll look a the TB, which was lifted off the prior truck’s bed, but will need to be fully disassembled to install on mine…..

Lots of talk of the TB slides freezing up too…

Winshady

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2019
Northern California
I’ve owned both the 8’ Marlon Xplor pro 2 and now a truck boss. The only benefit to the Marlon is it’s ease of installation since it’s one big assembly. The weather seal kit they sell (no actual experience on my end) seems like a gimmick because the deck surface itself lets water right through like a shower head. Anything you have in the bed will get soaked.

Truckboss is far superior in my opinion. Way more expensive though. Super pain in the a$$ to install and remove. With those issues aside I’m glad I moved up to truckboss. Completely waterproof underneath. The legs of the truck boss are tucked neatly to the sides of the bed which allow use of the big pull out drawer (smartboxx) for access to everything in the bed. The Marlon’s legs prevent use of a slide out drawer because they are set much more in the middle of the bed.

Both look awesome on the truck but the TB does sit tighter to the truck for a more finished look. Marlon’s super track adjustable tie downs are pretty cool, but TB has adjustable tie downs as well, you just need a wrench. I ordered my TB with the 12’ ramp and winch, which is really nice.

Complete waterproof and the big drawer are what got me to switch. No more carrying a rake in the bed to reach all my soaking wet stuff that slid to the front of the bed lol. It does take a solid afternoon to install or remove the truck boss, but it gets easier each time. 1C8EBF7E-2E7B-4CBB-A2D3-CB5DF361A07C.jpegCF5574F0-F16B-4B82-965B-9A4ADE80B7A2.jpeg1E80DABE-46A9-4801-9732-DB43AC49D330.jpegEE8250DE-2529-4E40-9813-8983B8322681.jpeg31F8256A-C5D8-4F7C-B894-89568495F2AB.jpeg

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I’ve owned both the 8’ Marlon Xplor pro 2 and now a truck boss. The only benefit to the Marlon is it’s ease of installation since it’s one big assembly. The weather seal kit they sell (no actual experience on my end) seems like a gimmick because the deck surface itself lets water right through like a shower head. Anything you have in the bed will get soaked.

Truckboss is far superior in my opinion. Way more expensive though. Super pain in the a$$ to install and remove. With those issues aside I’m glad I moved up to truckboss. Completely waterproof underneath. The legs of the truck boss are tucked neatly to the sides of the bed which allow use of the big pull out drawer (smartboxx) for access to everything in the bed. The Marlon’s legs prevent use of a slide out drawer because they are set much more in the middle of the bed.

Both look awesome on the truck but the TB does sit tighter to the truck for a more finished look. Marlon’s super track adjustable tie downs are pretty cool, but TB has adjustable tie downs as well, you just need a wrench. I ordered my TB with the 12’ ramp and winch, which is really nice.

Complete waterproof and the big drawer are what got me to switch. No more carrying a rake in the bed to reach all my soaking wet stuff that slid to the front of the bed lol. It does take a solid afternoon to install or remove the truck boss, but it gets easier each time. View attachment 381338View attachment 381339View attachment 381340View attachment 381341View attachment 381342

Great info, thanks! I appreciate the comparison and even though it’s a pain, I’m thinking the Truckboss is the ticket

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Marlon gets my vote. I get my pick up bed back in 15 minutes if needed. The construction seems to be great also.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I agree, but also need it weathertight below. It Marlon was weathertight, It would be an easy choice.

S
Feb 7, 2010
Consider a Dura Deck with all the options. I love mine. No truck boss experience. Built Better than my Marlon was. Close to water tight. I haven’t had any issues although there is a small gap.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Consider a Dura Deck with all the options. I love mine. No truck boss experience. Built Better than my Marlon was. Close to water tight. I haven’t had any issues although there is a small gap.

I’ll check them out, not familiar with them. However with the deal I’ve got on a TB, it’s hard to pass.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Just checked the duradeck out [mention]SLEDDR. [/mention], they are dang close to the truckboss and alot less money. Still more than the lead I have on a used one and don’t have to give Biden anymore of my money

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Landed this

0b90231f78d9897e7c3d2b94cfc4ef89.jpg

Winshady

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2019
Northern California
Nice! I added some cheapy Amazon led lights to the underside of the “ramp bar” to illuminate the tailgate. worked out pretty good. I’ll send a pic when I get back to my truck. Merry Christmas!

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Cool, good plan. Pics would be great, I was thinking of the same.

Winshady

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2019
Northern California
Here’s some less than stellar pics of the lights I added. I wired them into the existing factory bed lighting on my GMC. I had to try a few different brands of lights before I found a set that played correctly with the truck. LED lights can be finicky sometimes. 3AB6025E-D09E-4D09-8B11-D749023E5370.jpeg961DB620-FB06-4B68-AED8-35E2D079CBD2.jpegB3BA1C28-0A08-4C49-8B1E-99F557074880.jpegF0C7CDBC-770A-4F17-8229-358880055708.jpegA742D47C-55FA-4089-AD2A-1012E84643A7.jpeg

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Nice! I’m debating on a pull out tray, but there already isn’t much room below the ramp… Is that a custom one?

Winshady

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2019
Northern California
That’s the truckboxx sold by truckboss. It’s awesome, no more shimmying on your belly to retrieve stuff from the front of the bed. But yet another expense to an already Spendy deck.

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
Just picked up a marlon but have not used it yet. I also noticed that the front pins will be a pain if I try and drop the deck low to hug the bed so I picked up some ball lock pins https://www.fixtureworks.com/store/...eel-shank-aluminum-handle-inch-daas-s1777.htm

Also noticed that the deck itself is far from water tight. Plan to hose the seams underneath in some clear spray rubber similar to the flex seal stuff in a can. Hopefully that limits water pouring through. Will probably pick up the bed seal kit too and that reminds me I need to try and find one online for sale. Not looking for complete water tight but fairly dry would be nice. Have a bunch of plastic totes with rubber gaskets with some rope leashes attached to make retrieval easy.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Loaded the sleds up and went to shut the tailgate and….. It wouldn’t shut The guy I bought it from didn’t run the legs and maybe never had two sleds on it, but the rails on my truck sunk about 3/8” on the part that cantilevers over the tailgate.

I got the bottle jack out and installed the rearward legs, still not really sure where the front ones land, not much flat spots up there. I’ll check the install manual, I vaguely remember something on a youtube install video talking about the super duty’s and something different that needs to be done.

Anyways, tail gate shuts and weather is looking epic tomorrow

8589270ea1f62a6a39f697d3434d2edb.jpg

c595cc60639c837b37a2bb91efa81106.jpg

407b1f0587be9106f769fbd697ab990e.jpg

Premium Features