• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trailer damage question

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Had a 60mph wind gust tip my trailer over. Minor damage other then it snapped the tongue off. Is it possible to have a new one welded on and it be safe? Unfortunately no insurance on the trailer. It was empty at the time which contributed to it going over. Not sure what to do with it.

583D3FC6-1EE9-4BAC-A91B-80709D3CF190.jpeg

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Alberta and Northern BC
You mean remove the remaining tongue and start with a new one or grind both broken pieces for a weld prep, weld and re-enforce by “fish plating”?
The problem with option #2 is you will only be able to weld 3 of the 4 sides properly.

M
Dec 4, 2010
My unprofessional opinion, is a whole new tongue tube replacing what is there. It won't be cheap, but it is doable and less expensive than a replacement trailer.

Mike

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
We had the tongue snap off our 29’ enclosed three seasons ago. It was slightly in front of the v, we cut it back 6” welded on a new tube and fish plated the sides, been good the last three seasons. We did not have insurance either. Probably have put 25,000 miles on it since then.

Ours had three beams that merged to one, that’s where it snapped and we cut back into that to get more weld surface. In your case I’d replace the whole beam and run it

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Wouldn’t be a bad fix at all. I’d add some 3/8” gussets while they’re putting the new tongue on.
where are you located?

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Alberta and Northern BC
Depends on where you live. If it’s not a “write off” through insurance and you bought it back, no.
If you’re doing a repair on it, no. Get a certified/ reputable shop to repair it with journeymen welders, you will be fine.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
It was all welded together to begin with.. replace the whole tongue. Make sure welder knows how to handle dirty aluminum. TIG all welds if possible.

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Also note that tongue design is a problem. It needs angle bracing to support the lateral loads. Optionally use a different tube that will support more lateral loading. That could have easily broke taking a tight turn in a deep snow parking lot. You got lucky in this scenario.

Ex-Flit

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
North Branch, MN
the original pole does not have much at all for side strength, I would double it with more cross bracing like mentioned above. I just had it happen to me last year, tongue broke off about a foot closer to the truck than yours. I was lucky, I was able to get the manufacture re build it for me even though the trailer was 6 years old, because it broke in there welds.

E
Aug 6, 2023
Elkhart
Had a recall on my 18’ + 5’ V nose AmeriLite. Took out center beam and replaced with a significantly heavier one, must have had issues like yours. Have not pulled it very far yet but it seems fine and all the welds look good, fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features