• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TPS Checker and Setting tool

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
M
Feb 1, 2010
could someone please post a picture of a homemade tester, as far as i can tell the one posted is of a bought tester. i dont know to much about electronics, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
T.P.S. TESTER PICS

marctic,

There's a generic picture posted on hardcoresledder.com

Pro-x section

sticky at the top

I thought the same "generic" pic was posted here under "INCREASING YOUR IQ" thread sticky at the top

Hope this helps

could someone please post a picture of a homemade tester, as far as i can tell the one posted is of a bought tester. i dont know to much about electronics, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

M
Feb 1, 2010
alright, so radioshack only had 1 regulator, i built my tester and it tested at 5.08. dammit! i built the tester off

http://www.slednutz.com/showthread.php?t=4044

(found through google) and it was exactly what i needed, very unexperienced with this stuff. im not sure what the extra alligator clip is for in this picture
moz-screenshot.jpg

http://www.slednutz.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8006&thumb=1&d=1261026085

any way, i built it and it works, im just not sure what that extra clip is for. i guess ill have to try and source out a better regulator. so now i must remove my throttle body, do the exact procedure as in the video except with my numbers, (07 d7) and reassemble. in the picture posted it looks like the throttle body is still in the sled, can i do it without taking it out?

B
Feb 13, 2008
Isn't the TPS sensor just a potentiometer? If so, then it is the ratio that counts, so you could correct for a supply voltage a little off from 5 volts. Example:

.97/5.0 = X/5.05 Solve for X.

B
Feb 13, 2008
Also, wouldn't the true regulated voltage supplied by the snowmobile (while running) be a factor here. Wouldn't you want to emulate that voltage?

M
Feb 1, 2010
alright took a look at the throttle bodies, the tbs isnt clearly visable like the one in the picture (most likley a 900) and im having trouble getting the throttle bodies out. do i have to remove those coolant lines? if so whats the best way to drain the coolant in the sled. once those are off i guess i have to remove the fuel rail and injectors? anything i should know before i do this? after that is out of the way do you simply just remove the two hose clamps and the throttle body pops off?

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
alright took a look at the throttle bodies, the tbs isnt clearly visable like the one in the picture (most likley a 900) and im having trouble getting the throttle bodies out. do i have to remove those coolant lines? if so whats the best way to drain the coolant in the sled. once those are off i guess i have to remove the fuel rail and injectors? anything i should know before i do this? after that is out of the way do you simply just remove the two hose clamps and the throttle body pops off?

Any parts store should have some plastic hose clamping pliers LIKE THESE to crimp the coolant lines so you dont have to drain. Some guys use vise grips and a couple short pieces of small square stock, anything to pinch the lines without damage. Harbor tools actually has a decent set of hose block offs for under $10 right now HERE.

Anyway block the coolant lines and remove. Loosen the intake boot clamps and slide the throttle bodies to the rear of the sled. The throttle cable is still connected so use a 10mm to just crack the upper jam nut on top, but leave it as a reference point. Under the threaded plate is a lower jam nut that you can remove so the cable housing and barrel end can be removed from the TB linkage. Squeeze the wire connector on the TPS and unplug it. Throttle bodies should be ready to remove. Rails and injectors stay in place unless you want to remove the reeds. Good luck. EW

Last edited:

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
just curious what a FLAT spot in a TPS looks like...i just sweeped one and it was great, but curious to see how "obvious" a flat one is shown..

M
Feb 1, 2010
alright. thanks for being so patient. got the throttle body out, now just wondering where/how you hook up the aligator clips and the VOM needles. i must need somthing else, in the videos and pictures they are plugging the needles into some part i am missing. ive tried searching, cant seem to find it. thanks in advance, mark.

edit- didnt want to bring this thing up again but im sure others will find this usefull. this is how i was able to test my tps without buying a new harness, or using my old one. big thanks to ericw and the others that helped.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2201081#post2201081

Last edited:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
T.P.S. TESTER

For those that don't want to build a T.P.S. tester, I just purchased a T.P.S. tester (manufactured by KENT-MOORE / SPX) from my local POLARIS dealer for $48.76

PART # 2201519-A

Comes with the pigtail, 2 plug ends, 5 volt regulator, harness

All you need then is a 9-volt battery and a voltmeter

Works on sleds, ATV's & Rangers, has the proper connectors on the end of the pigtail, plugs right into the T.P.S.

does anyone have a list of the things i need to put my own tester together?
thanks

Last edited:

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
For those that don't want to build a T.P.S. tester, I just purchased a T.P.S. tester (manufactured by KENT-MOORE / SPX) from my local POLARIS dealer for $48.76

PART # 2201519-A

Comes with the pigtail, 2 plug ends, 5 volt regulator, harness

All you need then is a 9-volt battery and a voltmeter

Works on sleds, ATV's & Rangers

WOW...so an OEM is out there yet...just with an A at the end of the original part # it used to have..

GREAT FIND..

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Make sure to use your multimeter to check the regulator on the OEM tool. I borrowed my dealers a while back and it was outputting just over 4 volts to the TPS. Good thing is when he chucks it you can dumpster dive and cut off the TPS connector plug for your home made one that actaully makes 5 volts. My dealer ordered a new one but I haven't tested it yet. Hopefully just a fluke on the first one. EW

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Just a little clarification. After talking to MtHorse the other day he reposted the following so a dummy like me could make sense of it.

THEN you adjust the TPS to the closed throttle plates at :
900/755 CFi .705 - .715 volts (I shoot for the middle at .710)
600/700/800 CFi 0.70 +/- 0.01 Vdc.

After the baseline is done... edit:should the TB sync screw setting process be done at this point? THEN you open the throttle plates with the Idle screw to:
2005 900 & 2006 900/755 CFi .930 volts
600/700 CFi .950 volts
2008/09/10 800 CFi .930 volts
All +/- .01 volts

Notice that the 800 is set with the same baseline (0.70) as the 600/700's but the idle (.930) is set the same as the 755/900's. The original post threw me on the first read and I set my (800cfi) idle at .950 like the 600/700 which had the same baseline setting. Not trying to be confusing, but thanks MH for making the above crystal clear. Carry on. EW

ps....I know I said not trying to be confusing, but does the step of resetting the TB sync screw take place between the baseline and idle? If so one could read the above and miss that. See red italics above

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Whoops.....I reached the end of my cheapo status on this thread (must be 75 posts) I guess I'm out on this thread from here on. Great stuff, especially for a freebee like me. (in my best Paul Harvey) "Good Day". EW

B

beefspots

Mar 10, 2008
Dayton, Wyo.
Ok I had set the TPS on my 2009 800 at the beginning of the season and have now adjusted my idle up so it will run at elevation. And I can't remember but will that throw of my settings? Anyone?

Thanks

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Ok I had set the TPS on my 2009 800 at the beginning of the season and have now adjusted my idle up so it will run at elevation. And I can't remember but will that throw of my settings? Anyone?

Thanks

Yes!

Premium Features