• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timing 01 RMK 800

Rockpicker

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2011
Miller, SD
Hey, can anyone help me with a timing question?

Specs say 25 or 35, 'will have to look again' @ 3500 rpm.

Do I need the ignition switch on Regular or Premium, or will it make any difference?

Thanks, Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Hey, can anyone help me with a timing question?

Specs say 25 or 35, 'will have to look again' @ 3500 rpm.

Do I need the ignition switch on Regular or Premium, or will it make any difference?

Thanks, Jim

01 XC 800 Specs from the online manual.

01 XC800
Engine Model Number S8070POA1
1952 A
Alternator Output 280 watt
Bore x Stroke (mm) 85 x 70
Displacement 794
Carburetor/Throttle Body 2 Mikuni
Carburetor Model TM40
Main Jet 460
Pilot Jet 45
Jet Needle 9EFY2-61-3
Needle Jet P-8
Cutaway 2.0
Idle Mixture Screw 1 3/4 Turns
Idle RPM +/--200 1300
Cooling Liquid
Cylinders 2
Ignition Timing 25 @ 3500
Ignition Type Digital TPS
Oil Injection Polaris Blue
Spark Plug Champion RN
57YCC

So its 25 degree's at 3500 Rpm's.

The switch doesn't matter because your setting the timing at the lower RPM range and the switch effects WOT timing.

Last edited:
X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Just for reference and another example as this does come up fairly often and is a good reference to have.

*******NOTE*******

These apply to 800 engines ONLY the 700 runs a much difference curve, and a 700 curve WILL NOT work on the 800 engine. Nor will the 600, 500 or 440. Even though I have seen several people try to use them on 800 engines.

The 02 with the TPS was

29 to 29.5 degree's at 3200 RPM's @ BDC with TPS disconnected. Spec says 29 but I have ran a few with pipes at 29.5 on pump fuel with no problems.

You also need to remember that the TPS also retards the timing in certain situations once the temp gets too high. Which is why you set it with it disconnected.

03 800 Timing was 28 degree's @ 3200 RPM's

04, and 05 used similar timing with slight changes in the mid range numbers. But basically the same as the 03 was.

Last edited:

Rockpicker

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2011
Miller, SD
Sorry Freeride been off for a few days.

So, you have given me very good info. Thank you, but...........

Now I have more questions.

I have swapped out my 800 with a rebuilt 700 and used all the electrical, carbs and pipe from the 800.

Should I still use the 800 timing specs?

Also on this 01 do I need to unplug the TPS before setting the timing.

When I pulled it apart I scribed the stator plate and put it back where it was but I don't know if it was correct before. Just got this sled.

Thanks for the help, Jim

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
I'm making the assumption that your 700 is a non-VES - correct me if I'm wrong and some of this won't be applicable to your swap. You'll need an ignition box from a 700, but the rest of the electronics from the 800 can be used. However, the 800 used the newer Kokusan ignition and most of the 700s out there were equipped with the older Ducati ignitions. The problem is that only in '01 was there a non-VES 700 that had the Kokusan ignition, so the CDI modules aren't easily found used. If you can find the right CDI box, it's "plug and play". if not, you're going to have to buy the right one or have the 800 one reprogrammed with the right timing curve. Otherwise, everything could be swapped back to the Ducati ignition parts that are easier to find for the 700.

Rockpicker

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2011
Miller, SD
Ok we need more worms in the can!!!

The engine I installed is a 99, I changed the head to an 02 XC 700 head to get my thermostat housing pointed the right direction.

I used everything from the 800. Mag housing to recoil.

So do I understand from Rockets post that I would be best to have my CDI reprogrammed and then use the timing spec for an 01 700 which I believe is 20@3000 rpm, "will have to look again".

Cross referenced parts between 700 and 800 for 01 and the CDI is the only difference. Stator, coil and ign switch are the same.

Thanks again guys, it's all together, starts and runs great, just want to make sure I have it right so I don't burn down a new engine.

Will have plenty of time to get it right before we get any white fluff in South Dakota.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Make sure you check whether the XC and RMK timing curver are different. I suspect they are since the XC was marketed for elevations of 0-3k feet and the RMK for 3k feet and above.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
The engine I installed is a 99, I changed the head to an 02 XC 700 head to get my thermostat housing pointed the right direction.

I used everything from the 800. Mag housing to recoil.

So do I understand from Rockets post that I would be best to have my CDI reprogrammed and then use the timing spec for an 01 700 which I believe is 20@3000 rpm, "will have to look again".

Cross referenced parts between 700 and 800 for 01 and the CDI is the only difference. Stator, coil and ign switch are the same.

Thanks again guys, it's all together, starts and runs great, just want to make sure I have it right so I don't burn down a new engine.

Will have plenty of time to get it right before we get any white fluff in South Dakota.

You are correct in thinking that you need the CDI and from the 700 for this to work. The 800 one will not work. Timing you posted for the 700 is also correct.
Always unhook TPS to set the timing as well.

Last edited:
X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Make sure you check whether the XC and RMK timing curver are different. I suspect they are since the XC was marketed for elevations of 0-3k feet and the RMK for 3k feet and above.

They are, but the difference is minimal. The XC curve isnt enough different to where it will cause you problems running at elevations under 8K feet. After that you may run into problems.

Rockpicker

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2011
Miller, SD
Thanks for all the help guys!

I found a brand new CDI on E-bay yesterday for $150, score!

Have all the info I need, I think.

Looking forward to snow and riding this sled as I put less than 10 miles on it after purchase last winter before the 800 seized up.

Only thing left before winter will be to change the needles and needle jets as the 700 uses a different # and mine are a little worn anyway.

I am ready to rip some powder a new one!

Thanks again, Jim

Jan 18, 2017
Thanks for all the help guys!

I found a brand new CDI on E-bay yesterday for $150, score!

Have all the info I need, I think.

Looking forward to snow and riding this sled as I put less than 10 miles on it after purchase last winter before the 800 seized up.

Only thing left before winter will be to change the needles and needle jets as the 700 uses a different # and mine are a little worn anyway.

I am ready to rip some powder a new one!

Thanks again, Jim
I’m getting ready to do a similar swap in a 2000 rmk. 800 engine locked up and I’m putting in a non ves 700. So you used flywheel, stator and coil from the 800 and then got a 700 non ves cdi (non Ducati)? What jets did you end up using in the carbs?

M

miningchin065

Banned
Feb 13, 2021
Order today!

Our two Mining branch warehouses are located in the Netherlands and Hong Kong depending on the models ordered, your order will be shipped from one of these two logistics centres.

For processing and delivery times, they are currently 1 working days after confirmation of payment (This time depends on our workload, those of our logistics subcontractors, your payment method and the country of receipt). Certain countries and regions, notably South Africa, Iran, India, Continental Africa, South America and the United Arab Emirates, have slightly longer delivery times.

Noted that payments made in crypto-currencies are directly exchanged in dollars with us, therefore if a refund must be made it will be made on the amount in dollars and not in crypto-currency

Here are the details of our processes and processing times according to the payment method:

For payments by cryptocurrency (Coinbase Commerce), it usually takes one working day to validate the payment..

In order to increase the in transit security of the high-value miner, we are implementing insurance fees with the shipping fees, starting from Jule, 2020. We will use the company name (if not available, then the name of the buyer) as the insured party. Please make sure that the information is correct.

READ NEWS

Отправлено с моего SM-G965F через Tapatalk

Premium Features