• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thumb Sore or Arm?? Want less effort??

L
Jan 29, 2010
Roll the throttle forward! Easier, you can hang on better, no thumb pump... Just watched Slednecks 14 and saw two sleds done like mine! It's catching on :face-icon-small-win

Do you mean using it with your trigger finger? ALL the way around?
i like mine pretty low, i cant use it any other way im to used to dirt bikes, or at least quads where the throttle was hung below the grip, i dont like pushing into the grip at all

V

veritascs

Mar 11, 2011
Bozeman
ever-flow.net
i like mine pretty low, i cant use it any other way im to used to dirt bikes, or at least quads where the throttle was hung below the grip, i dont like pushing into the grip at all

I think he means just bring it up a little so you partly use where your thumb connects to your hand. I used to do that with my summit x.

A
Jan 30, 2011
Palmer AK
I think he means just bring it up a little so you partly use where your thumb connects to your hand. I used to do that with my summit x.

You are able to use your thumb as you open the throttle and palm it as you go all out. I found out by accident, I had a throttle housing loosen up on a utility sled and spin a bit, I decided that this was not a bad way to ride the trails. Since then I have had my throttle housing a bit loose so after a hard ride or long day of hauling I could adjust it to be able to do this. I have not adjusted the throttle tried it on a RMK or Pro. I would not be inclined to run it loose either.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho

Yup trigger finger. Been running all my sleds, kids, friends, etc.. that way from the start. Can't ride thumb very effectively. Crappy pics, but you get the idea. The stock block on the Pro Tapers won't work for me because I like to move the throttle towards mid-line so I just use my trigger finger only and can pull it to the bar. No more thumb pump and I can hang on on big hits.

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg

Last edited:

mdbrown9

Premium Member
Nov 4, 2010
Victor, ID
Easier, harder or no diff carving a turn to the right w your throttle like that?

Seems like it might be easier with your R wrist more flexed.

L
Jan 29, 2010
I like it, im going to have to give it a try
im in love with quad throttles more than anything, letting my entire hand get grip, the throttle setup on snowmobiles does not let me get any kind of a real death grip with my right hand, i dont know how guys go big without a better grip, these things are not dirtbikes on the track at all.
im gonna give that a try, thanks so much for posting.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Easier, harder or no diff carving a turn to the right w your throttle like that?

Seems like it might be easier with your R wrist more flexed.

I'm tellin ya everything is easier for me this way! The only thing I've had problems with is snow build up between the end of the trigger and block on big powder days, not allowing the motor to idle down. I had to bail once when I hit full and let off and nothing!! Scary sh!t!! I think my aftermarket block is reason. I've done this mod to about 10 sleds including my buddies sleds, and never this kind of problem. I'm running handguards this year, which will solve that problem, and have had a tether on my last two sleds (luckily this one). The stock block roll works best with the non Pro Taper Dragon style bars, or most of the aftermarket style bars. Remember to get a rubber o-ring for the kill switch as it will be on the bottom and you will hit it in the worst possible situation and loose your momentum :face-icon-small-sho

T
Nov 27, 2007
Eastern Washington St
Ran my sled that way for a while. It does seem like you can grip the bars much better and generally operate the throttle easier when doing just about any kind of riding. BUT BE AWARE!!!! The throttle flipper is now exposed! It’s very easy for it to get pined full on in several situations! Especially if you pile it into a tree well or get bucked off and have the sled take off through a bunch of mountain alder. THROTTLE ON!!! :frusty:

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Tether and handguards are a must in this situation. Only had 1 incident in a lot of years, but 1 BAD one is all it takes. I had a tether luckily.

S
Dec 20, 2007
You know, that is kind of what I thought too. Some dude gave me a bad rep for it!:face-icon-small-sad I even explained myself a little. Maybe he doesn't like the word vagina? I guess you can't please everyone.

That word may actually be my favorite. Second to say RMK Pro? Maybe.

L
Jan 29, 2010
was just thinking about your throttle setup, a rubber boot around the throttles opening could realy add some safty to that setup, kind of like how some shocks were made with rubber boots of sorts, realy should be a factory design but in addition to handguards that could be a pretty nice ticket to safer riding with this setup.

personaly i cant stand sled throttles.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
After riding a M8 and a Etech..

Yep.. Polaris has the Hardest Pull...

So.. I an trying this over the summer..

Zip tieing the throttle at Full bore.. So.. it stresses the springs a little bit..

IDK.. if its going to actually work.. but till will till..

I am going to go out each month and check on the pull.. Either Cut off Zip tie or leave it on another month..

P.S Sparying down the springs and pivots points Really Helps a ton!!

till next time!!!!!!!
How did this work out for ya?

Premium Features