• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking of ditching my Pro for big Yami boost

skibumm

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2004
Utah
If you havent experienced a big hp yamaha I think its well worth a try. If you have your eyes on the big chutes they are second to none. Its kind of funny how you say your sled is predictable and maybe getting a little boring. A turbo yamaha is on the complete other end of the spectrum. Maybe a little unpredictable with the insane amount of power they make. Really for a lot of people Its not the weight but the power and harnessing it with the right suspension/boost/rider/ experience is key. For some its just to much to handle. Some get it and and learn how to tame the beast. Some don't.

"Taming the beast" is a fountain of neverending fun and Zeb is right..... it is not for everyone. Taming the ProRMK... well I think women and children can do it!:face-icon-small-win:biggrin1: JK!! I want a RMK too, as a backup of course....... No offense to the women and children btw!:face-icon-small-hap

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
CI got a pro and I'm very happy with it, but I spent a weekend riding back and forth between it and the turbo yammy,. If I could only have one it would be the yammy, but having both is perfect imo!

Cbc 24 I would be all over a nypro, I got an apex engine on the bench, but I,m pretty sure she won't fit without chopppin to pieces

Last edited:
R

Remmy

Dec 28, 2003
Picked up a Pro this year, to run along side the big Apex. :face-icon-small-coo

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
Pros are good machines minus the crappy unreliable pile of junk 800 motor. Southern Colorado is 2 -stroke country, and all the hype has been pros but now the blown 800 motor stories are re- surfacing again. Polaris will never get that motor right. If you buy a pro---buy it with a blown motor and put a yammy in it somehow???

I have riden pros and they just cannot compete with boosted yamahas. You can turbo them---but they will still blow up eventually.

I love my t-nytro 162 and my t-apex-174.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
I bought a new pro for the kid to ride, fun sled works great out of the box could use more top end or boost.. I still prefer my tnytro in all snow conditions but its far from stock.. 5500 km gas an go

JungleJim

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I bought a used Impulse Turbo Nytro coming off an MCXpress Apex and have had nothing but problems. Got the Boost-It installed and it Neil has been fantastic but it turns out there is more to it than that and the investigation continues. So far its been three wasted, frustrating weekends... wished I would have went for another MCXpress v.s. the tempermental, stumbling Impulse. My son talked me into Impulse after watching tons of videos. The reality is for a guy who does not have a professional mechanic shop at his beck and call who just wants to ride my vote is to go MCXpress - not go crazy and enjoy 270 hp!

skibumm

Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2004
Utah
I bought a used Impulse Turbo Nytro coming off an MCXpress Apex and have had nothing but problems. Got the Boost-It installed and it Neil has been fantastic but it turns out there is more to it than that and the investigation continues. So far its been three wasted, frustrating weekends... wished I would have went for another MCXpress v.s. the tempermental, stumbling Impulse. My son talked me into Impulse after watching tons of videos. The reality is for a guy who does not have a professional mechanic shop at his beck and call who just wants to ride my vote is to go MCXpress - not go crazy and enjoy 270 hp!

Interesting... I'm no mechanic and have had three problem free years with my Impulse. The only issues I've had were driver error type issues and I ride with 5 or 6 other Impulse kits and they were anything but tempermental or stumbling. I would guess your problems are something other than the kit.... but then again I'm no mechanic. Before you start bashing kits though, you might want to figure out what the problem is first! Besides, I believe this discussion is about the Pro vs. Yamaha power, not my turbo is better than yours or this kit sucks cause I can't figure it out!

Last edited:
H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
I have an old RX1 with an Alpine kit, on hard snow days I would rather watch tv, but with deep snow it gives me an errection. I want a new 2 stroke for my wife/kid /me but I wont be with out a 4 stroke turbo. As far as 2 stroke turbos go I have seen enough, rode some and wont be taking part in that any time soon.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007

Mine used to stumble, you need the closed loop and updated flash, it now runs clean as a whistle everywhere in the powerband:face-icon-small-coo

I wouldn't start pointing fingers tell you find out what the actual problem is

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
Interesting... I'm no mechanic and have had three problem free years with my Impulse. The only issues I've had were driver error type issues and I ride with 5 or 6 other Impulse kits and they were anything but tempermental or stumbling. I would guess your problems are something other than the kit.... but then again I'm no mechanic. Before you start bashing kits though, you might want to figure out what the problem is first! Besides, I believe this discussion is about the Pro vs. Yamaha power, not my turbo is better than yours or this kit sucks cause I can't figure it out!

yep

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah

Yep x 2

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
IMHO, there is absolutely no funner sled in the big pow than a boosted Yammi. I have owned a 2 stroke race gas turbo and it was a hoot. It just didn't seem to have the brute force of the 4 stroke, different power for sure. On marginal snow days the Yammi is a beast to handle. Now if I could afford both, I would have them, and decide which one to ride depending on the snow conditions. For all around general riding though, a lightweight 2 stroke with a big track putts around decent enough to have fun, just not for the big chutes for sure. I guess it all depends on what kind of riding you like to do.

Lococoin

Lifetime Membership
IMHO, there is absolutely no funner sled in the big pow than a boosted Yammi. I have owned a 2 stroke race gas turbo and it was a hoot. It just didn't seem to have the brute force of the 4 stroke, different power for sure. On marginal snow days the Yammi is a beast to handle. Now if I could afford both, I would have them, and decide which one to ride depending on the snow conditions. For all around general riding though, a lightweight 2 stroke with a big track putts around decent enough to have fun, just not for the big chutes for sure. I guess it all depends on what kind of riding you like to do.

I did just that. Bought an 11 pro rmk off a buddy for the low snow/ high risk days. When I'm riding tight trees I don't really need the power of my boosted Nytro and I get played out a lot faster tossing it around. I've only got two days on the pro but so far I think it's going to be a fun sled to use from time to time.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Came off an M series last year to this impulse 270kit. Ran an M8 again this weekend, and a new M1100T. The M is easier to flip around but with the skinz front end and timbersled rear, this thing is a dream to cruise around on. After riding both the other sleds for an hours or so, I wanted to get back on my sled so bad. End of day 1-little tired. End of day 2- more tired. End of day 3- dead. Go back to work and get ready for the next trip. I carry two spare belts (used to the cat) and havent used one yet in almost 1000 miles. Hard miles. Love this turbo 4 stroke.

Wearing ear plugs is a must. It is loud after an all day ride. Only bad thing I have to say about the impulse.

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
I have an old RX1 with an Alpine kit, on hard snow days I would rather watch tv, but with deep snow it gives me an errection. I want a new 2 stroke for my wife/kid /me but I wont be with out a 4 stroke turbo.

Same here! I love my nytro and the deeper it gets the more that I love it, but when the snow is rock hard it can be difficult to handle.
I'm 250lbs with gear on, I can handle it in the trees but I really don't like to.
Next year I'm thinking of getting a pro rmk for tree bashing and hero snow days.

Premium Features