• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Things to do around anchorage

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Hey guys I will be in Anchorage for the month of September as part of my schooling. I want to be sure and see what all Alaska has to offer during this time. I am an avid hiker so I would like to pick your brains on what I should hike as well. I was told to hike Hatcher's pass, but what else should be on my to do list?

Thanks all!

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
September is a great month in Alaska, there is a lot of hiking trails out of the anchorage bowl. Bird ridge, Flattop, South fork trail up highland in Eagle River. Girdwood has a lot to offer as well; crow pass trail, etc. Take a weekend and drive down to Seward, great hiking like lost lake trail and if you can get out on a boat to go fishing or sight seeing.

rocks rev

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Flat Tops Colorado
Awsome, I'm going on vacation for a week in september, We will be landing in Anchorage Sept. 7th gonna do a bunch of fishing and check out some glaciers.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
already hit flattop and portage checking out denali park tomorrow. Gotta say Alaska is pretty sweet! How do you guys snowmobile when there is only light for 2-3 hours a day though?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Night riding is awesome! On flat light days, you can actually see better after dark, as the head light shows the terrain better than what you can see during the day. Also the hours of daylight vary greatly with time of year and actual latitude. Above the Arctic circle they never see the sun for about 25 days. The other side of that is the sun is always up for about 25 days in the summer ( just goes around in a big circle, no sunrises or sunsets).

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
sweet! Hitting Hatcher's pass this coming weekend if memory serves me right I think that is a solid place to snowmachine right? I was also aware'd that was the proper terminology for snowmobiling in AK :D

Premium Features