• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Ultimate 300 Build Thread - 2014

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
New UFO Black Plastics, Custom Graphics by Dirt Digits, Factory FX Pleated seat cover and the super trick Acerbis 3.0 Gallon Tank. It is super nice with a Carbon designed cap. Pretty trick looking and plenty of fuel for those long rides.

P1010078.JPG P1010081.JPG

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
The build is complete. Every detail is custom and for a purpose. The 40MM Smart Carb with the Q07 Fuel Rod is set for the first ride. I will be riding in McCall several days next week. When I return, I will be posting riding and performance video's. Here is a static look at the completed package. KTM330SX, 62HP, paired with the Timbersled 121" ST Kit. Should be fun!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IA2Qllfdbs

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
Randy, Has the 62 HP been verified? Or is this theoretical HP? Cant wait to hear ride report and see video!

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
The testing with the 330 was done with the stock "little" 36mm pwk, stock restrictive pipe, and stock CDI. It dyno's at 57hp. The PC or Scalvini are a plus 3 minimum, the big one is a 38 or 40mm Smart Carb. Those are verified to gain 5hp. That makes it around mid 60's? Being conservative with an easy 62hp.

Sickness

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
Denver, CO
Stop talking and get out there and ride it!! You been building it for so long...I'm dyin to hear how it rides. YOU gotta be dyin to to see how it rides!

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
How's the seat cover? My experience so far with gripper seat covers is they like to pull your pants off. Not a fun feeling to get snow down your crack. If you wore bibs it might not be an issues, but i wear pants so no thanks.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
How's the seat cover? My experience so far with gripper seat covers is they like to pull your pants off. Not a fun feeling to get snow down your crack. If you wore bibs it might not be an issues, but i wear pants so no thanks.

Three rides and no pulling on the pants. It's not grippy at all. It's slick. There are folds that have the flap folded forward, like shingles on a roof looking from bottom to top. The idea is to keep it smooth and slick, but hold you forward and not slide back. I thought it was a pretty cool design so thought I'd give it a try. I also ride standing most of the time. If it has negative effects I will let you know. So far I really like it.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Three rides and no pulling on the pants. It's not grippy at all. It's slick. There are folds that have the flap folded forward, like shingles on a roof looking from bottom to top. The idea is to keep it smooth and slick, but hold you forward and not slide back. I thought it was a pretty cool design so thought I'd give it a try. I also ride standing most of the time. If it has negative effects I will let you know. So far I really like it.

interesting. I find myself sitting more on the bike than i do on my sleds. Hmmmm. Maybe i should try standing more.

Motogeek33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2009
North Idaho
interesting. I find myself sitting more on the bike than i do on my sleds. Hmmmm. Maybe i should try standing more.

I felt a lot more comfortable sitting when I first started riding the snowbike, but then I got better pegs, higher bars and bar risers and now I love standing. Just like on wheels, you can maneuver the bike so much easier when your butt isn't attached to the seat.

Sickness

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
Denver, CO
NICE!! Glad to see you get it out on the snow. I was riding the Snowy Mtns this past week on mine and it rips thanks to you. Any chance you want to comment on the difference between the changes you made to this one compared to the 300 you rode last year. I'm mostly interested in how much of a change that extra 30cc made. Did you change the gearing at all for the increased power?

Mine ran great all week. It doesn't start very easy when cold, but a splash of gas on the air filter does the trick. The smartcarb took just a small adjustment to get the EGT down a little.

ds2154

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I was wondering the same thing as Sickness. I have my 15 300 XC setup with almost everything in this thread. By the time I got it running good with the Q5 metering rod, all the snow was gone. It runs awesome, but it literally has not seen any powder. How much different is the 330? How would you compare it to your KTM 450 from last years build?

I have a 13 KTM 450 SXF with the 15 LT kit on it. I am trying to decide which bike to keep for next year. The 300 (which would become a 330) is so light and quick and fun (in poor snow conditions). The 450 has NOS and is just a beast, raw power!

One other question, has anyone run the SX kit on a 300? Thoughts?

Thanks!

the gman

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2012
What was wrong with the bike randy?? I know, it should of had Brian on it. Are you running the 40 on it?? What needle at what setting?? You say you have one for sale at the end of the video, which one are you selling.

Premium Features