• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

~~The Official Phazer Thread~~

B
Nov 8, 2009
Hard to start cold

I have a 2008 Phazer MTX and I'm having a hard time starting it cold. I only have about 50 miles on it so I'm not sure if this issue will fade after the break in or if I need to change some plugs. It seems to start ok when we first get to the unloading area (maybe 2 or 3 turn overs till it starts up) but once we ride a few miles if I let it cool off, it is pretty bad on a restart (5 or more turn overs to restart). What are your thoughts?

I'm also experiancing an issue with reverse. I sometimes have to lift up the back end of the sled to get the sled to engage reverse. Is there a reason I would need to do this or should I ajust the rear suspension?

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
It has been running at 1,000ft - 1400ft around here. I know with my XP it is a 5 gram difference in pin weight to 9k... but different clutching is a different story, just the same principles

Shawn

stop by your dealer just tell him the elevation and all you'll need is a set of weights and a primary spring and you'll be good to go!

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
I have a 2008 Phazer MTX and I'm having a hard time starting it cold. I only have about 50 miles on it so I'm not sure if this issue will fade after the break in or if I need to change some plugs. It seems to start ok when we first get to the unloading area (maybe 2 or 3 turn overs till it starts up) but once we ride a few miles if I let it cool off, it is pretty bad on a restart (5 or more turn overs to restart). What are your thoughts?

I'm also experiancing an issue with reverse. I sometimes have to lift up the back end of the sled to get the sled to engage reverse. Is there a reason I would need to do this or should I ajust the rear suspension?

for the cold start issue check to see if your sled was updated, i thought the 08's already had the cold start update but check with the dealer as the phazers had a few updates over the years and the cold starting problem was addressed.

for the reverse problem, its just the way the sled is, just rock the sled back and forth while your on it and it will click into gear.

T

Tackbtch

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 12, 2004
Trout Creek MT
Reverse

On our 08 we had to add a shim into the secondary to allow a bit more belt defection? - spelling. Dealer gave us this heads up as a lot of Phazer he sold had this going on. Seemed to help alot, still when your in a tight spot we have to rock the sled a little. Hope this helps, oh yea the shim was 3 thosandths thick. Dealer just handed me one. Dino

K
Oct 2, 2008
Thanks roughrider99. Oh, by the way, I'm ASE master certified with A9 and L1 certs and have been turning wrenches since I was old enough to hold one. I can do a better job than any dealer, that's why he asked me to do it. I didn't ask if you thought I was capable of doing it, I just wanted to know what a fair price would be.
Well then you should know that this is a job that you set an hourly price and he pays the total when you're done. No offence, but I bet an experienced dealership mechanic will do a better job due to them being far more familiar with this machine. Now take a mechanic experienced in supercharger installs, and all the tricks involved, and there's really no comparison.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
^^^^^ agreed, i am a mechanic also, only certified, not journeyman yet and i've been around yamahas and i plan on still relying on all the research i've done here and the help of friends with turbo sleds. Just cause your mechanically able does not mean this phazer is gonna be some bolt on and go, There are lots of small key elements to a install that can only be learned by doing several yourself,

T
Dec 10, 2007
I was thinking of putting the takeoff track from my nytro (153) on my wifes phazer. Has anyone tried cutting them down, and what is the easiest / safest way to do so? Thanks, Trevor.

B
Mar 13, 2009
Libby Montana
I was thinking of putting the takeoff track from my nytro (153) on my wifes phazer. Has anyone tried cutting them down, and what is the easiest / safest way to do so? Thanks, Trevor.

I've got an 07 with a cut down 153... But I have heard that people are putting 15" tracks under phazers by replacing some tunnel hardware for clearance. Like putting carriage bolts in and nuts on the outside.

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
I've got an 07 with a cut down 153... But I have heard that people are putting 15" tracks under phazers by replacing some tunnel hardware for clearance. Like putting carriage bolts in and nuts on the outside.

That may work putting a 16" track in a Nytro, but not a 15" in a Phazer. About the best you can do in a Phazer is 14 5/8" wide... trust me, we've tried.

P
Feb 13, 2008
"gearing down"

Just checking on what is meant by "gearing down." I have a 07 phazer and as I understand it, gearing down gets you a faster spinning track which helps the sled crawl up the hillside, however you compromise on top end speed. Also what needs to be done to "gear down"

K
Oct 2, 2008
I did exactly that, 14 1/4" wide. Just set the rip fence on a table saw and fly at it (both sides of course). Carbide blade, take your time. I've cut six of them so far for both Firecats and Phazers. Haven't had a problem yet.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC

not quite that simple i wanted to do this to my phazer but it requires modification of the bulkhead cause that is where the 15 track won;t fit

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Just checking on what is meant by "gearing down." I have a 07 phazer and as I understand it, gearing down gets you a faster spinning track which helps the sled crawl up the hillside, however you compromise on top end speed. Also what needs to be done to "gear down"

yes gearing down means to changed the gears in the chain case for a higher gear ratio, lose speed but gain acceleration which is good for mtn riding. usually some clutching such as changing weights and springs is done to get the most out of the gear change.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, Wa
Getting back to the cold start issue. We have an 07 and that sucker takes a good ten turns to get started when cold. Went to the closest dealer (cycle barn) and they said the recall only applied to sleds that are ran in super cold below 0 temps, like in the midwest and such.

Anyone know the truth on this cause I have a feeling cycle barn being cycle barn is BS'n me.

P
Feb 13, 2008
yes gearing down means to changed the gears in the chain case for a higher gear ratio, lose speed but gain acceleration which is good for mtn riding.

What gear ratio has been working best? I sometimes pull a cargo trailer, or tow skiers and we do live in the mountains. So lots of climbing. I currently can get a top speed of 65-70. Don't need to go that fast, but how much top end speed would I compromise?

D
Dec 17, 2007
SE NORTH DAKOTA
I bought an 07 S.C. phazer and even though I haven't got to ride it yet I've been told there great. I chose a phazer mainly because I didn't want to be just another guy unloading a dragon. Where I ride you don't see many of these little sleds.

I had a 07 phazer FX it had a great suspension, but what you need to do is put mountain skis on. Get that little heavy front end some flotation, you will not regret it. I would get some factory mountain skis or maybe some 6.9 pilots. Oh yeah add a plate to go over the tunnel then everything will not freeze up around the track as bad as mine did. It would take me ten minutes to pound off the ice before i could go riding. If you have marginal snow you might have overheating problems. I ended up putting a little 12v fan on the radiator and that helped some. Other wise that was the most fun sled i have ridden.

Premium Features