• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tell Me About Riding In The UP!

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
My group of riding buddies is kicking around the idea of going to Houghton, MI after christmas since they have so much snow. We are normally never on the trail, always in the trees, ya know the typical boondockers in the mountains. My question is directed at those who have done both the UP and the mountains. Are we gonna hate it and wish we had just driven the extra 6 hours to go back to the Mesa or Rabbit Ears or Tog? Is it fun? Can you get off trail and basically stay off trail? I'm posting this in the general forum as well. Thanks!

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Its fun. Different than the mountains tho. Its alot tighter, more trees, and no big hills really... snow is deep tho! There is more civilization, more places to eat, more private property to watch out for... but your sleds have more power since youre at sea level. this is a perfect example of it... (minus th clips of Idaho) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=523elsi18FA

(personally, if its UP vs. Mountains, I'd go mountains... thats just me tho)

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
ABSOLUTELY DRIVE THE EXTRA 6 HRS

why wouldnt you? you wont get to hougton with any daylight left so just spend that extra 6 hours that you might of done a night ride or sat at the bar and get to the mountains

I'd drive 20hrs before I drove 7 to hougton again...dont get me wrong its a awesome place but NOTHING compares to being in the steep and deep.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
If you know where to go and hit the conditions just right (March 2013), the Keweenaw is pretty damn good.

But I can probably count on 2 hands of people who ACTUALLY know where the good stuff is.

racecar26

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2013
Go west....absolutely no comparison.... You will be bored in an hour

Cooksend

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Its fun. Different than the mountains tho. Its alot tighter, more trees, and no big hills really... snow is deep tho! There is more civilization, more places to eat, more private property to watch out for... but your sleds have more power since youre at sea level. this is a perfect example of it... (minus th clips of Idaho) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=523elsi18FA

(personally, if its UP vs. Mountains, I'd go mountains... thats just me tho)

Great example of excellent riders that know the area! I can tell you that most will never get into those spots! Also be sure that you are insured if you head to the Keweenaw! TREES, TREES, TREES and STUMPS... Love the U.P. but crave the West...

Premium Features