• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

super phazer idea

R
Nov 28, 2009
ok so im looking at goen four stroken and i want a phazer with a supercharger but i need to know if there is a such thing as a pump gas supercharger and if im gonna spend the money should i just go for a nytro

05REVSTER

Feb 19, 2008
Manitoba Canada
www.youtube.com
ok so im looking at goen four stroken and i want a phazer with a supercharger but i need to know if there is a such thing as a pump gas supercharger and if im gonna spend the money should i just go for a nytro

I had the same idea. Pick up a Phazer because they are cheap and light then add a turbo or supercharger. In the end after looking into it... you can spend $4000+ adding the supercharger then you have to run it on race gas or at least a mix and you'll be at the same power as the Nytro is stock. THe phazer runs on premium from the factory already.

In the end I decided to go with the Nytro. With a few mods you can get it to 150 HP and still run on 87.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Don't we have a couple people riding boosted Phazers here on SnoWest.
Seems I recall some talking about a huge power to weight savings by going with the lighter weight Phazer over the Nytro ??

S

Scott1

Oct 7, 2009
Black Hills S.D.
MPI Phazer

I run a mpi supercharged phazer with a 153 track, it will smoke a 800xp at elevation, stock nitro not a problem. I broke a sc belt in the snowies a couple months ago and was lucky enough to have the guy that runs Snowy Range Tours lend me a demo nitro for the day. This is what I found,
the phazer is more fun to ride, better throttle response, and more power. The nitro was easier to ride in the super deep, I think a new rider would prefer the Nitro because of the wider track. If I were to do it again I would just boost a Nitro but when comparing stock nitro vs boosted phazer, Phazer all the way. any other questions let me know and ill do my best to help.

05REVSTER

Feb 19, 2008
Manitoba Canada
www.youtube.com
I run a mpi supercharged phazer with a 153 track, it will smoke a 800xp at elevation, stock nitro not a problem. I broke a sc belt in the snowies a couple months ago and was lucky enough to have the guy that runs Snowy Range Tours lend me a demo nitro for the day. This is what I found,
the phazer is more fun to ride, better throttle response, and more power. The nitro was easier to ride in the super deep, I think a new rider would prefer the Nitro because of the wider track. If I were to do it again I would just boost a Nitro but when comparing stock nitro vs boosted phazer, Phazer all the way. any other questions let me know and ill do my best to help.

What is the octane requirement with your set-up?

*92 octane pump gas works for at least some of the superchargers:

http://www.hartmaninc.com/superchargers.html

I seem to recall Tom Hartman telling me that he uses the MPI supercharger but I don't know that for a fact.

*MPI suggests a 50/50 92 octane/race gas mix if you go 10psi or over so pump gas should work it you keep the boost out of the max range:

http://www.mountainperformance.com/superchargers.htm

*Turbo Addiction sells supercharges that work with Yamaha sleds:

http://turboaddictionparts.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=55_99

Last edited:

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Another option that you have is that you can pick up a used Nytro for around the price of a new phaser...maybe a little more. Then you put the same amount of money into it as you would boosting the phaser and come out the other side with a sled that can do more.

If you play your cards right, you can spend about the same amount money and have a better sled in the end.

Option 3 is buy a Nytro or Apex that is already boosted...I've seen them go for less than a new stock sled more than once.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
*92 octane pump gas works for at least some of the superchargers:

http://www.hartmaninc.com/superchargers.html

I seem to recall Tom Hartman telling me that he uses the MPI supercharger but I don't know that for a fact.

That is what I was told when I called Tom. He just resales the MPI kit. The dude knows what he likes and that's for sure, seems like he's done a lot of R&D trying to figure out what can and can't be done to a nytro. Very opinionated but his customer service is next to none.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Dont waste your time or money on a phazer. Just about any stock machine will run circles around it. Unless you are looking for a basic trail sled, they are just not worth the hassle.

If you are dreaming of 4 stroke just pick up a nytro or apex and you will be 1000x happier.

I have spent a lot of seat time on sc and turbo phazers, they dont hold a candle to 99% of stock sleds.

S

Scott1

Oct 7, 2009
Black Hills S.D.
Dont waste your time or money on a phazer. Just about any stock machine will run circles around it. Unless you are looking for a basic trail sled, they are just not worth the hassle.

If you are dreaming of 4 stroke just pick up a nytro or apex and you will be 1000x happier.

I have spent a lot of seat time on sc and turbo phazers, they dont hold a candle to 99% of stock sleds.

don't know what setup you were running or if you had the stock tracks on them but mine will wax 99% of stock sleds just takes a little more effort.

05REVSTER

Feb 19, 2008
Manitoba Canada
www.youtube.com
6k with blower new 153 track, 800 miles, i have no reason to lie just trying to help.

Well I wouldn't say LESS then a Non-boosted Nytro. Lots out there for under $6000. But I don't doubt that you have one hell of a sled for 6G. But race gas or at least leaded race gas was banned in Canada Jan 1, 2010 (I think was the date). So other then buying aviation fuel, running even a mix is becoming more difficult.

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
My buddy PHAZER BOOST has a turbo Phazer with a 153 Cammo and any stock sleds with 153 inch tracks I have seen would have a tough time beating it at elevation. It has a 153x14x2.25 track and so many people compare it to an XP 163x16x2.3 which is not right.

E

essexy

Jul 29, 2009
Ames, IA
I have a buddy that supercharged his '09 Phazer courtsey of MPI. What a pain in the azz! He spent more time this last winter working on and tuning his sled than he did riding it. Here in Iowa (low elevation) it just doesn't seem to be worth it. My Nytro completely stock still beat him in a straight line drag. Two things I will give him though: 1. I don't think he was tuned in quite right yet. and 2. He was spinning his track most of the time. (still running 121x15x1 for now), but mine can never hook up either! Of coarse, whenever we head to the mountains he will be able to run circles around me due to elevation. Yes the Phazer is light and fun, but spend about $5000 to get the matched hp as the Nytro and get TERRIBLE gas milage?! No thanks! He can run pump gas, but has to dramatically decrease his boost. When we ride the Des Moines river down here he has to "sally" it the entire time otherwise he will run out of fuel. Kind of defeats the purpose if you ask me.... Now that's not to say that I will never boost my Nytro, because I probably will some day. I'm just going to wait until I have $5000 burning a hole in my pocket! lol :face-icon-small-win

Premium Features