• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

sullcats thermobob 3 install - new style

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
image.jpg
running the bypass under the housing gave some rad clearance? would like to see pics of your install. taping the housing is a great idea.

I'm sure it works either way, my thinking is that since the bypass T is at the bottom of the radiator that IF air could trap it would trap at that 90 fitting, instead I put it on the bottom thinking any air would go right through the T stat housing to the top feed of the radiators! I don't think it matters!

Last edited:
C

Comp 670

Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
The temp sender needs to be on the hot side of the radiators.. Where you have it once the thermostat opens you will be reading the cold, outlet side of the radiators and not getting the true temp the engine is actually at...You will be reading the cooled water coming out of the radiators. JMHO.

Last edited:

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Ahhhh, Yep that's what I wanted, the stat opens at 195 so that way I know if I need to block my radiators its in the bypass so if the stat is open then it is blended ,if the stat is fully open then no bypass flow, but I believe the stat will spend its time at a cracked open spot, not closed and not fully open so I want to know what is actually going into the engine, don't want to cold shock it! I'm actually thinking of installing a second stat in the other radiator at say 185 so it opens only if the primary radiator won't keep up! I work on boilers for a living ,I guess I just overthink things!

Last edited:
C

Comp 670

Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
I totally understand not wanting to cold shock it but I would want to know the true temp of the engine.... You get on a long pull and the gauge might say 185-190 and the true temp out of the head is well over 220.....

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
image.jpgIf it gets that high the the stat is stuck closed! I'm always fighting to keep the engine over 150! If I see I95 in my return line then I won't be making oil, that's for sure! Ideally I would like to see a constant 195 water temp,so if the stat is wide open then the return line from the radiator will be about 15 degrees lower than the inlet so if I see 185 in the return line than my outlet will probably be in the 200f range I'm ok with that!,,,,in the summer my 450 has boiled over on long pulls and it never misses a beat what temp is that 230 or soo? If it runs hot and my oil is working its all good, now OIL diluted with gas, that I'm not good with! I slide these plastic inserts between the radiators and the vents! Just another way of control, generally I leave one in all the time!

Last edited:

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
still working on the engine shrouds, last year I made some out of the metal mesh that arctic cat puts on their exhaust canister looks like a black cloth mesh ,,,,,worked good,, Bitch to cut tho! wanted something that snaps in place, thinking about welding blankets now?

Last edited:
Premium Features