• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So, no big launch?

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
How do you call a sold out fully delivered product with so widespread claim to lack of marketing a decline?

They’ll have a bigger motor soon.
My current textron sleds run and have never gone back to the dealer or Sat out a day of riding for a recall so I’m extremely happy riding them until the catalyst is tested and proven.

The resale value they put back into my sleds is an absolute success.
The dependability is an absolute success.
I have yet to not find a part I need quickly while taking out 8-10 sleds per ride.

Troll on.

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
there were A LOT of miss steps and things they did wrong, but i think they are on the right track. if the catalyst is any where near as reliable as my ascender i'll be a happy camper. some sort of marketing so people can easily see the changes year to year or in a new chassis would be nice though. get tired of the "same as 2012" idiot comments from non informed ignorant people.

mtnboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Seattle & Leavenworth, WA
Ha! Just wait until you try it. The Catalyst chassis is fantastic - so easy to ride in the steep woods. Would I rather have it with an 800+ powerplant? Sure. But for most days (maybe all days) I would rather ride this new 600 Catalyst M than the 800+ Poo, Doo, or my 165 Alpha (I have ridden the latest versions of them all). If you want something that is slower reacting to what you tell it to do, stick with the old stuff. If you are on a fitness regime and you need the extra exercise, stick with the old stuff. Anyway - I sound like some Catalyst evangelist. Sorry - I was just impressed with what I rode. Pre-ordered a Catalyst M and a Catalyst Riot.

Enjoy the ride - The best rider out there is the one having the most fun. You can do that on any of the sleds!

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Ha! Just wait until you try it. The Catalyst chassis is fantastic - so easy to ride in the steep woods. Would I rather have it with an 800+ powerplant? Sure. But for most days (maybe all days) I would rather ride this new 600 Catalyst M than the 800+ Poo, Doo, or my 165 Alpha (I have ridden the latest versions of them all). If you want something that is slower reacting to what you tell it to do, stick with the old stuff. If you are on a fitness regime and you need the extra exercise, stick with the old stuff. Anyway - I sound like some Catalyst evangelist. Sorry - I was just impressed with what I rode. Pre-ordered a Catalyst M and a Catalyst Riot.

Enjoy the ride - The best rider out there is the one having the most fun. You can do that on any of the sleds!
A little more skinny on it if you would please. My daughter wants to know

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
How do you call a sold out fully delivered product with so widespread claim to lack of marketing a decline?

They’ll have a bigger motor soon.
My current textron sleds run and have never gone back to the dealer or Sat out a day of riding for a recall so I’m extremely happy riding them until the catalyst is tested and proven.

The resale value they put back into my sleds is an absolute success.
The dependability is an absolute success.
I have yet to not find a part I need quickly while taking out 8-10 sleds per ride.

Troll on.
Nothing is fully delivered yet as far as the new chassis. There have been 159 pre-production units built so far and they are still tweaking.

Customers should have some hard numbers and details about what they are buying by this point. Cat has failed to deliver that.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I ordered a catalyst for my daughter because, yes, i wanted to try it and see for myself. I had intentions of a 650 kaos slash matryx with 7s. This was cheaper and looks awesome. It appears to have fixed every gripe I've had with cat. I also think the 2.6 146 will be a awesome sled for her. So my main reason was i like trying stuff for myself and not asking people what works. I am the least brand loyal person in the world.
My buddy told me he didn't think cat was letting Yamaha have the catalyst.
maybe not brand loyal but somethin tells me youre not going to have same experience as a guy who bought a 154x3 pull rope, adjusts suspension for his weight and rides it all day. Ya know, like your current favorite sled

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Sell anything recently? The guys who ask the most questions and want the most info are NEVER the buyer.

I’m sure selling out within hours surpassed Cat’s expectations.

I wish they would have had a 146” hardcore with fox coil overs, hopefully next year with a big bore. I’ll admit I was trying to snowcheck but the site wouldn’t let me select the 146x2.6, local dealer could only get me a 154x3 so I passed, I have the QR code for it if someone wants to try it.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
maybe not brand loyal but somethin tells me youre not going to have same experience as a guy who bought a 154x3 pull rope, adjusts suspension for his weight and rides it all day. Ya know, like your current favorite sled
What does pull rope have do with it? Bet if you took same two sleds. 1 estart and one without. You wouldn't know riding them. My experience will be fine. I can adjust the shocks. It's my daughter's sled but i will probably take it out for the day before she rides it. I can undo anything i change. Not a big deal.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
^maybe you cant but I can feel 20 pounds more especially on a shorter track. I can feel the ES on the two 87 phazers in my yard, one without. was my only point, your experience is not going to be same as some of the others on here next season. just like your impression of your mountain max that could probably use a lil messin with. Id get ES too, im with ya there, I think catalyst is gonna hide it a little better. but dont think the 146 ES is gonna perform like the lighter 154 3.5 pitch in the thick stuff. Harris said it didnt anyways. how old is your daughter? mine is 15, i cant get her off her damn phone long enough to care about sleds. when i was 15 sleds were life! still would like to get her a Blast but she wont even push the phazer a little. I got put to bed early once when i was a kid for not climbing a hill, times have changed! sorry off topic

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
My fourteen year old daughter went 160 (zero trail) miles last week on her alpha, skipped four days of school and she’s still begging to go.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
^maybe you cant but I can feel 20 pounds more especially on a shorter track. I can feel the ES on the two 87 phazers in my yard, one without. was my only point, your experience is not going to be same as some of the others on here next season. just like your impression of your mountain max that could probably use a lil messin with. Id get ES too, im with ya there, I think catalyst is gonna hide it a little better. but dont think the 146 ES is gonna perform like the lighter 154 3.5 pitch in the thick stuff. Harris said it didnt anyways. how old is your daughter? mine is 15, i cant get her off her damn phone long enough to care about sleds. when i was 15 sleds were life! still would like to get her a Blast but she wont even push the phazer a little. I got put to bed early once when i was a kid for not climbing a hill, times have changed! sorry off topic
My daughter is 13 in may. They do like their phones. She wouldn't have one if it was up to me. I really wanted to get the 154 3 inch and would have still got estart. A buddy said they were working on them but they were 2 pulls on the end of rope when warm. Estart for the win. He also said they were awesome and he hates alphas. Said the little 600 was funnest thing ever. Said he tried to make it slide out on straight wind drifts and kind of got it to twice but nothing like an alpha. Said running boards on best out there. The steering isnt quite as easy as his doo turbo but close which is a huge win for cat. The only bad thing he said was the guage. Said it was light and narrower. He actually said he struggled with it for a minute because he really had to tone it down. Responded quick. Apparently fun enough he would almost buy one but ordered a turbo.

O
Aug 17, 2019
Twin Cities
In my opinion…Cat released the Catalyst in a 600cc only for a few reasons. Firstly by only using the new C-Tec 600 it will let the new chassis speak for itself. Instead of chasing down the biggest boosted and unreliable engines, Cat built a new C-Tec 600. Built with the current 800cc crankshaft and other component improvements, this lil 600 has much HP on tap with plenty of reliability. 2nd Cat doesn’t release a new engine until it’s proven, they’ll take criticism before letting customers do the R&D and replace infinite warranty engines. 3rd They knew that best marketing campaign is word of mouth! That li 600 sure has people talking! Go Cat Go ?

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
if they released the new larger engine and it wasnt perfect people would never get over it. for some reason polaris and doo can do no wrong but if cat has an issue people never let it go. The 12 models werent what they should have been but then 12 years later people still reference that but how many blown belts broken a arms cracked bulk heads broken bumpers bad tps sensors blown motors fix it kits ****ty tracks etc from the other two companies and oh there the best thing ever. if they put out an engine that didnt work right that would really hurt them. On the other hand if they put out a motor that worked well i think there are a good number of people that would switch brands after having trouble with the other two, and some of them would be curious enough and not brand loyal and wanted try it. wish they would have released 1000 or something for those who dont mind being guinea pigs

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
if they released the new larger engine and it wasnt perfect people would never get over it. for some reason polaris and doo can do no wrong but if cat has an issue people never let it go. The 12 models werent what they should have been but then 12 years later people still reference that but how many blown belts broken a arms cracked bulk heads broken bumpers bad tps sensors blown motors fix it kits ****ty tracks etc from the other two companies and oh there the best thing ever. if they put out an engine that didnt work right that would really hurt them. On the other hand if they put out a motor that worked well i think there are a good number of people that would switch brands after having trouble with the other two, and some of them would be curious enough and not brand loyal and wanted try it. wish they would have released 1000 or something for those who dont mind being guinea pigs
On the other hand. If Cat would have been able to release that so called bigger motor this year. They would have stole a sh!t ton of Poo riders who are sick of the recalls and stop ride BS and even some BRP riders. 2024 would have been the perfect year for Cat if they had been ready. Of course they would not have been able to build for the demand though.

Premium Features