• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

snowmobiler has died after being caught in an avalanche in eastern Idaho.

Skidoox

Lifetime Membership
Sep 4, 2001
Provo, UT
IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (AP) — Authorities say a snowmobiler has died after being caught in an avalanche in eastern Idaho.

The Fremont County Sheriff's Office says emergency workers received a 911 call Saturday afternoon that a snowmobiler had been caught in an avalanche east of Reas Peak in Island Park.

Search and rescue teams responded. Members of the man's group found his body after about 40 minutes of searching.

He was pronounced dead at the scene. The man has not been identified.

Seedie_Man

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2008
Park Rapids, MN
FREMONT COUNTY – Officials have released the name of a man killed in an avalanche while snowmobiling Saturday.

Raymond John Moe, 46, of Missoula, Montana, died after being buried in the snow east of Rayes Peak in Island Park. Members of his group found him after searching for 40 minutes.

The Fremont County Sheriff’s Office issued an avalanche warning Saturday morning and Sheriff Len Humphries is reminding people about the dangers that are still prevalent in this area.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I know a lot of people who knew Ray.
Tough day for Frenchtown people.

Rest in peace Ray.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
If it is than it was a pretty messed up deal. I had 2 friends dig him out.

Saw an article that said he had just left the trail and triggered it just a few feet from the road.
Is that accurate?

D
Mar 13, 2014
Saw an article that said he had just left the trail and triggered it just a few feet from the road.
Is that accurate?

From what I heard and I am assuming here it is the same incident it happened a further up than just off the road. I rode the area once this year but I don't know the exact spot it happened. Apparently he was side hilling on a snow bike and it happened about 100 yards above him and never saw it coming. Please keep in mind this is all through the vine to me.

Skidoox

Lifetime Membership
Sep 4, 2001
Provo, UT
A 46-year-old Montana man has been identified as the victim of a weekend avalanche in Idaho's Island Park area.
Authorities said Monday that Raymond John Moe of Missoula was killed while riding a motorized snowbike about five miles from the Blue Creek trailhead on Saturday.
The slide was triggered when Moe and another rider in his group went off trail.
Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Center director Doug Chabot says the avalanche was about 600 feet wide and 2-1/2 feet deep.
All of the riders had emergency transceivers and rescue gear. But authorities said it took the remaining members of the group about 40 minutes to find Moe and he died at the scene.

https://www.mtavalanche.com/

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Huge Avalanche Potential

The warm weather and rain we experienced after Thanksgiving created a layer of ice that is not bonding well with the recent new snow fall and creating a HUGE avalanche potential in some areas.

Be smart out there and live to ride another day.

Last edited:

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
While riding the day after the latest fatality, we observed a number of slides and weak layers. A lot of "whoomfing" and settling is taking place. This was evident in the Centennials and Big Sky.

DSC02175.JPG

Stovebolt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Tetons
www.bustedcompass.com
Reas Peak - Avy incident #2 2018 - Gallatin Avy Center Report

This incident occured outside the forecast area of the Gallatin (National Forest - Montana) Avlanche Center forecast area. Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Center lent their expertise in a follow up accident investigation to the benefit of all from the findings.

Please follow link for further information and details. Please subscribe to the GNFAC for daily avy conditions to assist in decision making, that will SUPPLEMENT your personal avy assessments to include your snowpits and boots on the ground observations. Please also consider supporting GNFAC in any way you can.

I copy and paste here without permissions:

Dave Jankowsky
Victor, Idaho
Ilsand Park, Idaho

aka "Stovebolt"

https://www.mtavalanche.com/accident/18/01/24

Reas Peak Avalanche Fatality _2
Accident Report
Reas Peak Avalanche Report_180120_OFFICIAL.pdf
Activity
Snowmobiling
Date
1/20/2018
1 snow biker caught, fully buried and killed
Synopsis

On the afternoon of Saturday, January 20, four snow bikers (motorized) were riding southeast of Reas Peak (9,298’) in the Centennial Range in Idaho. The group was riding along a trail near a creek bed below 500-700’ high slopes that were greater than 35 degrees steepness. Two bikers rode up 15’ from the bottom of the slope when it released, catching and burying one. The group had rescue gear and located the victim quickly. The victim’s head was 6’ from the surface and CPR was initiated but unsuccessful. The avalanche was estimated to be 600’ wide, up to 2.5’ deep, and 2-300’ slope distance. It is classified SS-AMu-R2-D2-O.
Google Earth location

Location of the avalanche that caught and killed a snow biker.
Reas Peak Avalanche Crown

The avalanche was estimated to be up to 2.5 feet deep, 600' wide and 2-300' s
Reas Peak Avalanche Burial

Location of the victim. The avalanche came from the slopes to the left.
Reas Peak Avalanche Crownline

The crown and flanks of the avalanche are visible.
Reas Peak Avalanche Terrain Trap

This gully is where the rider was buried 6' deep.

Premium Features