• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

snowmobile in short bed truck ??

polarisperformance

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Québec
I want to buy a truck and I am looking for a tundra crewmax with 5.5 feet bed. Will my sled fit properly in the bed of this truck. I have SBA 144.

thank's

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
To give you an idea, just measure from the tip of your skis back to 5.5' and that's how much will be riding in the bed, and then another 1.5' or whatever your tailgate measures, and the remainder will be hanging out the back.

My only concern would be if the tailgate supports can handle the weight and if the tailgate itself is strong enough to resist bowing permanently in the middle due to the weight. I think loading will temporarily put the most weight in the middle.

I'm not sure if my GM 6.5 tailgate comes with a slight bow, but it has one now. Not sure if it was from hauling a M8 163. I never gave it much thought till I saw how much sled was hanging over, then I started to worry about the weight on the middle of the gate.

zalez

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2012
My Shortbed GM has a slight bow on the tailgate. I really want to say it was there before I started to haul my d7 155 but I can't recall. I have a plywood mat that I put in the bed with ski guides and traction. To the OP, it will fit.

To give you an idea, just measure from the tip of your skis back to 5.5' and that's how much will be riding in the bed, and then another 1.5' or whatever your tailgate measures, and the remainder will be hanging out the back.

My only concern would be if the tailgate supports can handle the weight and if the tailgate itself is strong enough to resist bowing permanently in the middle due to the weight. I think loading will temporarily put the most weight in the middle.

I'm not sure if my GM 6.5 tailgate comes with a slight bow, but it has one now. Not sure if it was from hauling a M8 163. I never gave it much thought till I saw how much sled was hanging over, then I started to worry about the weight on the middle of the gate.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
It will be fine....I haul my 163" Pro in my 2006 Tundra crew with a 6'2" box.

You WILL want a solution other than resting it one the tailgate, because it WILL bend on that truck. Whether that's a sled bed, or a chunk of heavy plywood to spread it out or whatever.

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
163 in a 5.5 box with the gate down every weekend no problem.

Alot of sled decks are 8ft long

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Just a note:

On a 2007 or newer Tundra specifically - the tailgates are notoriously weak. I worked at a Toyota store many years and highly recommend NOT just putting a sled in with the gate down. You will get away with it until you hit the wrong bump, then she'll be bent. At least throw some 3/4" plywood in there if nothing else.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
My buddy cave the tailgate in his 2012 3/4 ton Chevy with his 163 Pro RMK. He hit a frost heave in the road which bounced his sled. Make sure you strap it so it's got some down pressure. I haul my SBA in my 6.5' box crew cab Chevy with the tailgate down . I have a toolbox across the front of the bed so it hangs out a bit. I run a strap over the top of the track behind the rear drop brackets to make sure it doesn't bounce.

Sent from my Droid Razor Maxx using Tapatalk

T

T Stoke

Nov 28, 2007
Bethlehem, PA
I can't speak for the Tundra but I haul my 163" in the back of my short bed F150 to Idaho and back. I've never had a problem. I do like the idea of putting a piece of wood to help support the back of the track though. Good call!

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
I used to put a 163" in the back of a Ford Ranger all the time, I did notice some tail gate bow after a while. I'd leave it in the bed for weeks.

RevArc makes this to spread the load to your pickup bed and get some the weight off the gate.
b7d41b73-98fa-46da-9621-c2b53fe71b49

B
Nov 8, 2013
I use this with my 163'' track and my 5 1/2 foot bed F-150. Works pretty slick. I have it for sale or swap right now if anybody is interested.
gallery.php

Note: This is a stock photo. The one I have is almost identical.

R

Rdurkee4

Feb 19, 2013
Missoula, MT
This is how i did it, my tailgate is already screwed up so i wasnt too worried but i did drive 70mph with it for 3 hours and didnt have a problem

photo-1.jpg

Here are some pics of my 2015 Tundra Crewcab with my 2019 YZ450F and 2023 RIOT Pro 3. This is a 129" track, and as you can see it sits in the bed with no problem. I can easily haul two snowbikes and possibly a third, but I haven't tried that yet. One important note is that I do have airbags on my rear shocks so the bed doesn't sag, so that is something you'll need to upgrade if you're going to haul snowbikes. The stock Tundra will NOT ride safely without airbags installed on the rear wheels.

20230122_163954.jpg20230122_164005.jpg

Premium Features