• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowbike vs Snowmobile Cost of Ownership

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
You can't compare cost of ownership without considering residual value - what is the realistic market value at the end of five years. Gonna lower the cost of ownership for the sled even more.

And, if you don't have the setup to haul it to the deep. That could be a push, tho.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I think it might be appropriate to consider EXO Sled in your analysis. You will have the best of both worlds! EXO Sled kits are maintenance free, the snowmobile has a low maintenance cost and you don't need to spend thousands of dollars on accessories as mentioned by AllNatNoCattle. You can easily ride on the same terrain as the snowmobile and snowbike. Also, you need to think about how much time you will spend on maintenance on each ride if you have a snowbike. The "maintenance time/travel time" ratio is close to 1/1...
You can find many used sleds in good condition to install the EXO kit on, then you have the most powerful snowbike at an affordable cost.
While I commend your ingenuity there is no way in hell anyone on an EXO sled is following me.

EXO Sled

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 4, 2017
While I commend your ingenuity there is no way in hell anyone on an EXO sled is following me.
Needpowder, with respect, I don’t know who you are and where you are but if you want to know who can not follow the other, Saint-Raymond (Qc) on Saturday 9th. Spring conditions and it will be tight wood.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Needpowder, with respect, I don’t know who you are and where you are but if you want to know who can not follow the other, Saint-Raymond (Qc) on Saturday 9th. Spring conditions and it will be tight wood.
Fair enough. I wish I could make that event but it is not in the cards unfortunately. Hope you guys have a good time!

P
Dec 15, 2019
On my third complete snowbike. Buddy and I bought new 2022 KTM 450 SXFs this year. He took his to reputable builder and is in into it for $21k plus with all the trick stuff including engine cover and coolant heated bars. He put a Riot 3 on it. I installed all the trick stuff myself, using C3, Trailtech etc.. I bought new Mototrax 129 and I am into mine about $17k. The SXF is a terrific platform and performs waaaay better than my 500exe did. Once setup they cost significantly less to run versus sleds. The 2 stroke sled oil and the endless gas they consume is expensive. We just rebuilt the top end on my sons 2015 Yamaha and it has been running as a snowbike by winter and dirtbike by summer. If massive power and hill climbing is your thing then stay with sleds, if slalom skiing through the powder and trees with a dirt bike floats your boat, then snowbikes are it. Okay, do both. Enjoy.

C
Jan 14, 2020
3000 miles on a sled without fuel.... probably 3-4 belts $600-800
10mpg (probably much lower??) = 300 gallons fuel, most sleds are ABOUT 36:1 average of oil. (new 850 polaris is supposedly 32:1 above 8000 rpm?, skidoo probably near the same)
9 gallons oil @ close to $55/g = $500
assuming chaincases and tracks don't break I dont think very much more PLANNED wear items on a sled.

No idea on a bike.

G
Oct 15, 2022
Peru
Call it $20k even for the snowbike setup.
3000 miles on a snowbike is a lot.
Probably 35-40 oil changes.
10 chains.
If you get a 2015-2018 yz450fx you might make it with one engine rebuild.
The newer YZ450Fx probably will need 4 rebuilds.

The freeride won’t need anything major in 3000 miles. (Except what you damage)

Probably 3 belts, 20 gallons of oil and 4 chaincase oil changes.

I’ve had 5 snowbikes and 15 sleds over the last 18 years.
Whats wrong with the newer bikes? I have a 2016 YZ450FX, almost 200 hrs on, I might do a timing chain and turn it into snowbike. I also have a low hour 2019 YZ450F. Is the 2019 not going to be as bulletproof?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Whats wrong with the newer bikes? I have a 2016 YZ450FX, almost 200 hrs on, I might do a timing chain and turn it into snowbike. I also have a low hour 2019 YZ450F. Is the 2019 not going to be as bulletproof?
The newer YZ cranks don’t like high rev snowbike use. Seen quite a few grenade.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Could be I guess but my buddy has 50 hours so far on his 18 yz450 and no issues as of yet. Hopefully no crank issues as I also have an 18 yz with 4 hours on it that i am converting to a snow bike.
It’s just different than the nearly indestructible 14-17 motors.

I put 200 hours of lots of rev limiter on a 2014 that I bought used w no hour meter.

M
Jan 14, 2004
So, I got to wondering about this whole YZ crank thing. Personally, I've blown up more KTM cranks than Yamaha ones but that's neither here nor there. I looked up the part numbers for an 18 YZ and a 16 YZ and they take the identical con rod and the cranks are the same part number with the exception of the series ie: BR9 for 2018 YZ and 1SL for the 16. There is a revision on the 16 actually 3 of them, but when a part moves forward in the Yamaha world the revision resets to 00 to go along with the new series ie BR9. So long story short, same crank.

I just received my parts order for my 2018 YZ including a new crank, if you are splitting the cases buy a crank, full stop, why would you not? It will be interesting to see what 170 hours of snow biking has done to it when I tear it down. I think the crank is fine, it measured perfect at 80 hours, doesn't matter it's getting a new one anyways. I'm dead certain the trans is pooched as I basically have no 2nd gear. I've got a 2020 trans to put in it and I'm adding an FX OD 5th gear. I would be a lot more concerned about an 18 or 19 YZ trans than I would about the crank. The 3 cog gears were all redesigned in 2020 on the YZ. Yamaha knew they had a problem in 2018 but didn't want to admit it.

The KTM 500 and the Husky 501s cranks seem to last forever but those bikes are like running a diesel, they don't rev.

M5

B
Feb 13, 2017
It’s just different than the nearly indestructible 14-17 motors.

I put 200 hours of lots of rev limiter on a 2014 that I bought used w no hour meter.
Yes and don't forget about the 5 valve yamahas. My sons 08 yz450 had 205 dirt hours on the original top end and we put another 30 on it last winter snowbiking in the mountains. Bulletproof engine. Ill see this winter how the 18 holds up.

B
Feb 13, 2017
So, I got to wondering about this whole YZ crank thing. Personally, I've blown up more KTM cranks than Yamaha ones but that's neither here nor there. I looked up the part numbers for an 18 YZ and a 16 YZ and they take the identical con rod and the cranks are the same part number with the exception of the series ie: BR9 for 2018 YZ and 1SL for the 16. There is a revision on the 16 actually 3 of them, but when a part moves forward in the Yamaha world the revision resets to 00 to go along with the new series ie BR9. So long story short, same crank.

I just received my parts order for my 2018 YZ including a new crank, if you are splitting the cases buy a crank, full stop, why would you not? It will be interesting to see what 170 hours of snow biking has done to it when I tear it down. I think the crank is fine, it measured perfect at 80 hours, doesn't matter it's getting a new one anyways. I'm dead certain the trans is pooched as I basically have no 2nd gear. I've got a 2020 trans to put in it and I'm adding an FX OD 5th gear. I would be a lot more concerned about an 18 or 19 YZ trans than I would about the crank. The 3 cog gears were all redesigned in 2020 on the YZ. Yamaha knew they had a problem in 2018 but didn't want to admit it.

The KTM 500 and the Husky 501s cranks seem to last forever but those bikes are like running a diesel, they don't rev.

M5
170 hours is very encouraging. If you don't mind me asking did you replace the starter clutch to the updated part?

M
Jan 14, 2004
I actually didn't check that but I guess I should, I'm going to tear it down this week. If there are other weak links everyone chime in because I only want to do this once.

M5

B
Feb 13, 2017
Buddy of mine who also has the 18 ran with the original starter clutch with no issues until 50 hours and then changed it out this summer.

Premium Features