• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowbike Setup Tips

S
Nov 20, 2010
I've searched and haven't found one thread that has everything that someone new to the sport could come and use as useful info to set up their new bike.

Can we get a list going, someone sticky it so we can all have more fun and be more reliable out there?

I've just got a rough list here, but if someone can organize this and add to it, make it easier to read, it would be great!

1. Keeping temps up seems to be a challenge for a lot of people in powder - which with EFI bikes causes overfueling and gas in the oil for many people.

Fix - run a 70C thermostat or install a valve and choke back the coolant flow to the rads.
Also - install a skirt of sorts to keep snow and water from thermal shocking or stealing the heat from the engine. Many different options for this ranging from a carpet runner with tarp grommets installed to fancy skid plates.

2. Airbox - seems to be a major one - sucking in snow can ice things up and cause headaches and issues.

Fix : Using a frogskin type of material or spray foam? to plug up any areas that fine powder snow and water can get into the throttle body/carb.

3. Electric start only bikes (no kickstart)

Fix - Attach jumper leads to the battery just long enough so that another bike could boost you if you run out of juice. You can feed them through the plastics and then cover the ends and tie them on top of a plastic cover above the track so that they do not touch, discharge, or get caught in the track.

4. Toolkit

Fix - I've noticed that carrying extra weight on the tunnel is hardly noticed at all, yet carrying weight on your back or on the front of the bike is very noticeable. Build a toolkit that will be padded with foam so the tools don't clang around noisily. 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8 sockets, 5/32, 7/32, 1/4 Allen keys, Pliers, Flat screwdriver, vice grips, crescent wrench, zip ties, 6,8,10,12,13,14,17,19 sockets, 8,10,14, 1/4 wrenches. Tow rope that looks like a "Y" so that you can hook through forks and to each foot peg with the split end of the tow rope (top of the Y) for easy pulling on the broken bike, and to the back bumper and tied to itself in a loop on the bike doing the pulling.

5. Cold hands -

Fix - either install handlebar warmers if you have the stator output, or use bigger gloves, man up, or use old school open mitt wind breakers that you slide your hands into.

6. Foot pegs too small

Fix - build, buy, acquire some bigger footpegs as your big clunky winter boots need more to sit on.

7. Rear brake ices up, sticks, works like crap.

Fix - Buy a 5' long brake hose and use your front brake lever, remove your rear brake lever and other unnecessary parts.

8. Not enough power.

Fix - get a turbo, or nitrous. Make all of your buddies jealous.

9. Snowbikes have the ability to take you into very dangerous avalanche areas.

Fix - take avalanche training, buy all the safety gear - probe, shovel, beacon, and airbag backpack, test your gear and practice using it with your buddies if you really want a better survival chance.

10. Maintain your system

Fix - Use chain wax regularly, as well as grease the fittings on the kit using a cold weather grease.

11. Chaincase cover gets smashed up

Fix - Buy or build a cover that strengthens the bottom of the chaincase, either by beefing up or deflecting the hit of whatever buried items you will inevitably hit. (I steam rolled my parents BBQ pit that I had no idea they had installed when I visited with my last kit - took a nice gouge out of an otherwise brand new shiny kit)

12. Avoid pulling your groin

Fix - Keep your feet on the pegs, ride "loose" and not "tense", and keep your toes on the pegs instead of feet firmly planted.

13. Fuel - having enough

Fix - Rather than having Jerry cans slapping around, scuffing up all of the paint on your MH kit with a couple of bungie cords, either install a rubber like mat with hooks to tie a can to, or buy a Mountain addiction style can which is mounted on rails and doesn't fall off unless you're Reagan Sieg. :)

14. Not enough/ too much track speed in a certain gear for climbing - eg.. 3rd pulls to redline but isn't quite fast enough, but 4th dies down and doesn't have the hp/gearing to pull the hill.

Fix - do a track roll out test, and change sprockets to get that ideal gearing for dialing in your kit and how it climbs.

15. Keeping bolts on the kit and not on the trail lost in the snow.

Fix - use blue loctite on everything you can think of - last year we had a friend lose his main shock mount bolt, and luckily were at a lodge when we noticed it. Had to drill out the metric threads, slide in a SAE bolt and washers and nut in order to get us home.. Sucks to do that to a beauty of a bike, and would have been prevented with more blue goo.

If you guys can add to the list, and if a mod or someone can organize this and sticky it, I think it would be VERY helpful for someone to come in, read through what they need quickly, make a list, and head to the parts store/garage to get it done. We all want more fun, and that comes with more reliable setups and sharing information.

Thanks!

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
Great info thanks ! Heading to revy for my first rip on these things cant wait!

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
STORAGE ON MOUNTAIN HORSE

Find a nice useable Pelican (or similar)water tight case that you bolt to the top of the tunnel for storing tools and your lunch. Found mine on ebay. Works great!

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
Pretty complete list, but also consider setup like you would for an endure bike. Larger fuel tank on MX bikes are handy. Hand protectors for branch protection. A recluse clutch makes it a lot easier in tough situations.

Y
Nov 26, 2007
if you are loosing engine breaking with the reckluse you have it set up wrong. 3 years summer and winter with core exp, engine breaking works perfect!!!!

T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I was told to block one rad off if not running a thermostat to keep engine temps up. Found out this weekend if you have a long hard hill this will cause the bike to over heat in a hurry. Im now trying to figure out some sort of quick attach rad block that i can pull off and put back on when encountering these situations. I dont trust the thermostats because a buddy of mine blew his bike up after a thermostat seized shut, not sure how common this is.

Also if you are not able to run heated grips like myself at this point, Moose racing makes massive hand guard covers that block all wind and worked very well for me.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Should be able to find a thermostat that can't fail closed. or drill a small hole in it so coolant can still circulate.

T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Should be able to find a thermostat that can't fail closed. or drill a small hole in it so coolant can still circulate.

Which brand would you suggest? I wouldn't know where to start when it comes to thermostats other then the KTM ones.

Thanks,

U
Sep 12, 2010
if you are loosing engine breaking with the reckluse you have it set up wrong. 3 years summer and winter with core exp, engine breaking works perfect!!!!

I thought the point was clutch disengaged at idle. That is how the only bike I've ridden with recluse was set up....

I do a lot of downhill turns in steep tight trees with the throttle closed in first gear. I haven't tried that with the recluse, but if I find neutral it sometimes results in a dismount.

P

PalousePoo

Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, Wash.
As long as you are moving, even with the throttle off, and you are in a gear, the track will be driving the eng., on compression, and turning it fast enough to keep the recluse engaged. A proper set up clutch engages just off of idle.

T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Find a nice useable Pelican (or similar)water tight case that you bolt to the top of the tunnel for storing tools and your lunch. Found mine on ebay. Works great!

Have you done this? I was thinking of mounting a Pelican box but not sure which size or how to mount it. My thought would be to Drill holes through the bottom to run bolts through and use caulking to make it water tight... Would be quite handy for tools and or camera gear.

Motogeek33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2009
North Idaho
Have you done this? I was thinking of mounting a Pelican box but not sure which size or how to mount it. My thought would be to Drill holes through the bottom to run bolts through and use caulking to make it water tight... Would be quite handy for tools and or camera gear.

I have one of these on the way:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/22-17800

I plan on using four bolts to mount it to the tunnel. The dimensions appear to be almost perfect to sit behind the gas can and leave a couple inches to spare in front of the bumper. I can't wait to have a tough and waterproof trunk so I can carry less gear on my back!

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho

Yes, I have done this and it works great. I will try to get some pics in the next day or so and you can see how well it works. I drilled holes through the bottom of the box and then through the top of the tunnel. I used some silicone caulk to seal the head of the bolts where they go through the bottom of the case onto the tunnel. Going to be eating some turkey in a bit and might not have time for pictures till later.

S
Nov 15, 2013
Fly wheel weight

I have a 12 crf450r I'm turning into a snow bike it's set up for woods riding with a rekluse and a heavy flywheel weight is this a good combo for running a mountain horse st or do I lose the heavy fly wheel?

Premium Features