• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sneaky sneaky on Van Epps

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
I logged in planning to post about the same thing! I've been sledding and skiing up there regularly for the past 15 years and I think it's a terrible idea. So do all of my friends. A buddy who lives out there has been communicating with the FS regarding our concerns. He said the head FS Ranger did not even know that this is an incredibly popular area for sledders and all of the back bowls of VE are hit pretty much daily when conditions allow (same timing that skiers would want to ski it) or that the wilderness parts of the zone are already getting skied regularly by folks who ride their own way up there. This operation does not even have a cat to get their guests to the turnoff to the trail from the groomer. Customers will have to bring their own sleds or rent sleds or they will have to come up with something yet to be determined. Then, they have to skin their way up to the huts. That business model is destined to fail IMO, but not before stirring up a hornets nest of user conflicts. These huts could be moved to a much better/smarter spot (e.g., Mt Daniel summer parking lot or Teanaway summer parking lot) where it would be far easier for skiers to access great skiing terrain right out of the huts, without running into terrain that has been frequented almost daily by sledders for the past 40 years. The guy behind this business is obviously not a sledder, nor have I ever seen him up there skiing. I don't think he's spent enough time up there to understand what's up. My guess is he has no idea of the day-to-day use by sledders, right where he plans to place the huts. Getting those huts up there is also going to be a major task and if the business fails, the FS wil be stuck footing the cost of getting them out. It's a sh_t show. Please reach out to the FS and voice your concerns.

Attachments

• Supplementary Application Packet - Public.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 14

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Agreed mostly. The hornets nest is certainly going to be shaken. Might even be more of a lions den.
I disagree on the Teanaway. Though, I’m afraid that area is a lost cause. The changes there over the last 10 are unfortunate.

If the FS was unaware, how is that even possible?
Either it was further up the FS chain or they were being dishonest. Either way, they’re going to be real busy with this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
Initially it seemed like cascade powder guides 2.0

On second thought, this project is a logistical nightmare.... Who knows how long the business venture will last.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
We have the WSSA to thank for this. They sued the Forest Service to challenge their decision to grant the permit without any public notice or comment. Their suit forced the FS to re-review the decision and they (the lawyers at the DOJ who represent the FS) determined that the application was deficient on several points. The hut guy can appeal or reapply, but either way he won't be operating up there this winter. Please join the WSSA and/or contribute to their legal defense fund. They really stepped up for us on this one.

Premium Features