• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP Stage 2 clutching

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
I know that SLP has their clutch kit with their pipe. I know that Carls also has a clutch kit. I am looking for what others have done and think. I don't care about running across the lake. I prefer on and off throttle and wide open clutching on the hill. Speed across the lake doesn't mean anything to me. Here are the specs that I have found on Stock, SLP, and Carls kits.

Stock Polaris

Primary Spring = 120-320
Weight = 10-64
Secondary Spring = 155-222
Helix = Straight 40

SLP Pipe Kit

Primary Spring = 140-340
Weight = 10-68 MTX adjustable weight kit
Helix = Straight 40

Carls Cycle

Primary Spring = 120-320
Weight = 10-66 stock or Belly busters
Helix = 64/42

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
I'm running the SLP clutching and it works very well for boondocking/hill climbing/powder busting. The only modification I have made is that I like the black/purple secondary spring better than the black stock spring for my riding style. I ride 8-10K elevation and find that the purple/black gives me much more consistent RPM at full throttle and is quicker to respond when getting in and out of the throttle. Other's prefer the stock black spring. Use a dehlrin washer between the cup and clutch housing with either.

Last edited:

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
I'm running the SLP clutching and it works very well for boondocking/hill climbing/powder busting. The only modification I have made is that I like the black/purple secondary spring better than the black stock spring for my riding style. I ride 8-10K elevation and find that the purple/black gives me much more consistent RPM at full throttle and is quicker to respond when getting in and out of the throttle. Other's prefer the stock black spring. Use a dehlrin washer between the cup and clutch housing with either.

Funny how we all like a little different feel! I felt the black/purple secondary spring felt lazy when I had that in. Luckily we have 2 SLP set up sleds in the group so riding back to back with the different springs was easy to feel.

Visi,
I have custom Tri-City clutching on my stage 3. Have not had a chance to ride it yet. Will let you know what I think of it.

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Thanks man, I'm interested. Just put a SLP pipe on. Want to try a few things before I try kit clutching. I have a few springs I'd like to try with the stock 40 str helix and 62g weights.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
In my opinion,any secondary spring other than stock feels lazy on bottom end, id like to try even a softer sec spring.

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
TTT

Any more updates/reviews on these or any other kits? Trying to decide weather to go stage 2 or just do the single with another kit.

R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
i have found the SLP clutching to be horrible. Adding more weight and a stiffer spring is counter productive to me. if you add a pipe, more power will require more weight and a stiffer secondary spring to make sure the belt doesnt slip due to the extra power. I have found that the thin profile of the SLP kit to wear out the rollers very fast, and the weights are very heel heavy which makes them feel strong initially, but lack the top end shift out. Just go to 10-66 weights and add the SLP black/purple secondary spring. my 2 cents.

T
Oct 15, 2008
Kamloops BC Canada
Clutching

I have tried other weights but ended up with the SLP weights and suggested spring in the primary. I also ran the stock spring in the secondary but I put the multi helix from the 15 pro in the secondary. The track hums when climbing.

S
Nov 27, 2007
i have found the SLP clutching to be horrible. Adding more weight and a stiffer spring is counter productive to me. if you add a pipe, more power will require more weight and a stiffer secondary spring to make sure the belt doesnt slip due to the extra power. I have found that the thin profile of the SLP kit to wear out the rollers very fast, and the weights are very heel heavy which makes them feel strong initially, but lack the top end shift out. Just go to 10-66 weights and add the SLP black/purple secondary spring. my 2 cents.

Boom hit the nail on the head. Couldn't have said it better myself.

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin

I think I'll try this. Thanks.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
The Carl's helix has a dual ramp. I believe it can be a 40 at the bottom or a 42. I ran mine in the 42 ramp last year. Several of my friends had theirs in the 40. I am switching to the 40 this year. It is fairly easy to switch which ramp you want. The 40 ramp seems snappier and it pulls higher rpm under load. All three sleds have SLP pipes and 66 EPI Belly Busters. One of the guys runs a different secondary spring (not sure which one). He also ground his weights down to 65. He gets really high revs (8500+) with his setup. I am not sure that I want that. I like it in the 8300/8400 range. Everybody has their preferences.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Elevation is 5,000 to 9,000 on average. All three have SLP pipes. Mine has a Diamond S Titanium can which I ran early last year with the stock pipe.

Premium Features