• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP single pipe 850 Matryx

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Is cerakote (or any other coating for that matter) going to hold the heat in the pipe as well as the factory pipe shield? Will there be a loss of performance in certain conditions if it doesn't?
Short answers.

Maybe.

Probably.

All depends on who you’re talking to……

Is the person purchase justifying?
Or justifying why they didn’t purchase?

Are they going to profit from cerakoting your pipe?

Many opinions available.

Personally I’ve seen 850’s and 900’s have cold pipe bog with the factory clamshell.

I’d be more interested in cerakote and re install the clamshell to eliminate any possibility of cold pipe.

mrooks17

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2021
Ohio
Is cerakote (or any other coating for that matter) going to hold the heat in the pipe as well as the factory pipe shield? Will there be a loss of performance in certain conditions if it doesn't?
This is my concern as well. I’ve had many of my long rifle barrels cerakoted because they would help retain heat in the barrel to help decrease mirage during competition. So I know it definitely helps in that department. Also will help with durability.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Any updates on this ???

I've been looking at doing the Carl's 900 kit on my 24 / 850 Khaos and wondering if a guys should do the Carl's pipe????

armey37

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 30, 2008
Richland,WA
Ok, after finally getting about 10 rides on the carls pipe on my 22 850 between Washington concrete snow and McCall, ID snow I figured I would repost an update. Short answer is I like the pipe. Long answer is I did a few to many changes ( pipe, slp head, lighten and balanced clutches and Trs clutch kit) all at once. 1) here is what I can tell you even with all the foam removed from under the hood and side panels I’ve had zero melting issues. I recently had a a very long wide open pull in a large chute and everything was still in factory shape body parts wise. 2) I’ve ridden over the hood powder many days and zero cold pipe bog issues. I honestly kept waiting for it and it never did. 3) she sings at 8450-8500. Seems like she like that higher rpm (could be the head or pipe or both) I try and keep it clutched for below 8400 to be safe though. 4) I do feel a slight weight difference when blipping the throttle to point the frontend a different direction. 5) zero DET issues 6)only possible down fall because I don’t normal ride about 7,000ft is about 8,000ft she seems to lose some power wide open on longer pulls/sidehills. That could be the head, pipe or me (the rider) just not used to 8,000 ft elevation riding. Over not a bad upgrade for small price.

Last edited:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
How do you know what worked the best if you did all of those things at the same time? Sounds like she is RIPPING though . .. so that is a good thing :)

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
Could alway take the pipe off for a ride and see if there is a difference. If the Slp head works as good as the Indy Specialties head you should have had to add weight to the primary. I had to go from 67s to 69s to get the rpm back where it needs to be

Premium Features