• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Slp head

danby

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
mackenzie b.c canada
Wondering if anyone is running the slp head on the matryx, any comparisons to a stock sled ?. I'm riding 3000-6000' looking for more midrange and a little more on top end. Can't find a pipe that is working at lower elevation without issue and thinking this might be an alternative.

S

SUMMITREV

Oct 24, 2008
Baker, OR
Wondering if anyone is running the slp head on the matryx, any comparisons to a stock sled ?. I'm riding 3000-6000' looking for more midrange and a little more on top end. Can't find a pipe that is working at lower elevation without issue and thinking this might be an alternative.
I ran the head and can on 22 matryx last year. It ran very well, best bang for your buck in my opinion.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
We ran them on the 800 axys (SLC pipe, head, clutching). identical sleds but I didn’t have time to put the head on one of them. the one with the slp head was consistently slower than the stock head.

danby

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
mackenzie b.c canada
Thank you for the replies, unfortunately one person saying best bang for your buck and one saying not worth it, was slower then stock. Any one else with real world experience?

IowaM1000

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2007
I had one on a 800 axys. Could never get it to run right. Always going into det mode. Tried all sorts of fuel blends and never would run right. Took it off and the sled ran great. All SLP said was that this was the only time they had ever seen this happen. So I wouldn’t recommend it but maybe just a fluke incident.

Finnlandr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2009
Parts Unknown
I've run the stage 1.5 kit on a couple different sleds, and haven't had any problems. Last year ran it on 850 Matryx with no issues. This won't give you a huge increase, but you can definitely tell its got a little bit more power and response.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
The guys that like them have 850s. I have one my sled (850) and I feel its worth the money. The 2 guys posting on here that have negative reviews have them them on 800s. Anyone else see the correlation?

S

SUMMITREV

Oct 24, 2008
Baker, OR
The guys that like them have 850s. I have one my sled (850) and I feel its worth the money. The 2 guys posting on here that have negative reviews have them them on 800s. Anyone else see the correlation?
Exactly plus the matryx has a completely different tune and power even from the axys 850.

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
I put the slp head on an 850. I couldn’t feel any difference. Rpm didn’t change either. That was on a stock 850 with no other performance mods. Everyone I know that has the head on the 850 also has the Carl’s 900 with it.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Ran one on my last 850 axys build. By no means some seat of the pants arm ripper. But my overall feeling was it seemed to sustain more consistent rpm on long pulls and big load spikes. Like a more stable broader HP window.

Definitely did not make thr sled worse and never gave me a single issue.

Definitely not worth the money if your basics are not in good order.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Ha. Worst mod ever. Especially at lower elevation like OP is asking about. The squish on the outside circumference of the cylinder is really tight. Cause micro detonations which sets off the det sensors which when mild cause the sled to pull ignition and add fuel. When its gets worse it’ll go into a kind of limp mode and you’ll have to restart to reset it. I worked with SLP direct on this over a season and a half of running twin pipes and they were super nice, gave me lots of things to check and adjust and the sled still ran like crap consistently. But what do I know I just tried to get it to work for a year and a half and asked a ton of smart people to help me. This is all on a 2020 Axys.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
The twin pipes and head are just like the vast majority of aftermarket turbos. Guys paid way too much for them and don't have the balls to say they don't work because they don't want to look stupid. My buddy has just the head on his sled and it's a plug fouling machine. He's taking it off and putting it back to stock.

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
The OP asked about how it works on a Matryx?? Not a 2020 Axys. If you havent personally tried it on your 850 Matryx how can you comment? My buddys moms cleaning lady says, it was a waste of money or her 550 fan

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
You saw how I can comment. you read it. The sleds engines are 98% similar, 2% different. Also, if it does work, and makes barely more HP that people are of different opinion on whether they can feel the power difference is it worth the money, time, effort, warranty kill, putting race gas or octane booster in etc?

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
You have understand they advertise 7hp, which isn’t very much. A lot of guys wouldnt notice a 7hp gain on a 165hp sled. It’s only .5% increase in power. Not to mention if your clutching isn’t 100% tuned right, the little extra hp bump you do get isn’t getting to the track.

Premium Features