• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skinz Protective Gear Closed?

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I would agree its not a good deal. It is prime time

Looks like an opportunity to me . If you have the capital But like you said if your not hitting it its over for this year .

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
What if they did all that...hired some good people....invested all the capital they could on materials...and have been working around the clock making parts.

And demand is still so high they cannot keep up....wouldn't you consider that a success? So successful they have more orders than they can fill.

When I was in the restaurant biz if we packed the joint and were turning away customers...we consider that a success!

G

gcmci

Nov 21, 2007
Springfield,Oregon
www.gregcoenmc.com
This is what you get when you place a order on the WPS dealer order page SKINZ PROTECTIVE GEAR HAS GREATLY INCREASED THEIR PRODUCTIONCAPABILITIES, BUT DEMAND FOR THE SKINZ PRODUCT STILL EXCEEDSTHEIR ABILITY TO PRODUCE. IF THIS ITEM IS NOT IN STOCK, THEBEST WAY TO GET IT, IS TO PUT IT ON BACKORDER. IF YOU CHOOSETO BACKORDER IT, PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT NEITHER SKINZ OR WPSARE ABLE TO GIVE AN ACCURATE ETA. THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE.

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
So WTF? How can you be a snowmobile company and be closed down to new orders from Dec-Feb? On the Skinz website you are greated by:

NOTICE: DUE TO HIGH ORDER DEMAND - WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING ANY NEW ORDERS. WE WILL RESUME TAKING ORDERS ON FEB. 1, 2012.

Wow. In the heart of the season you stop taking orders. Hire some temp help. Sorce out to some sub contractors. Something, but don't close during peak season.

Fortunately I found the product I was looking for in stock somewhere else, but the inventory is drying up quickly and people will go somewhere else.

sled_guy
Skinz prefers that customers purchase from a dealer which are still able to place orders. They only reason they offer the store on their website is for those that can't find a dealer that sells Skinz. This is to help get them caught up on large distributor orders which WE as dealers are waiting for. Popular to contrary belief you won't get your product fast by ordering directly from them.

T

Trax 2 Treadz

May 14, 2009
Medicine Hat, AB
www.trax2treadz.com
Skinz is the MANUFACTURER not a dealer. When you want a gallon of milk you don't call up farmer Joe to get a gallon of milk you go to the store who is a dealer who bought the milk from a distributor to bring the milk to market same idea here.

The reason that the online store is closed down is so that they can fill the US distributor orders and the Canadian dealer orders. We have had our orders in with Skinz months in advance. We receive stock from Skinz darn near every month. People up here are modifying their sleds all year round. They aren't waiting until the last minute.

We have travelled down to the Skinz factory twice and met them face to face we have toured their facility. You won't find a harder working group of people. The quality and innovation that goes into their products are bar none. They don't produce nor sell junk.

Sometimes stuff happens and you need stuff at the last minute that's why we as dealers are trying to build inventory but we don't have bottomless pockets either and sometimes no matter what we do we sell out of our inventory. Case in point......2 years ago we brought in 3 Nytro hoods because the previous year we couldn't keep them in stock then we sat on these hoods for 2 years...ugghhh that's alot of capital out for something to sit on the shelf then this fall bam they are all gone and we are struggling again to keep them on the shelf. Just when we think we have it figured out what we think we need, the game changes. This summer we couldn't keep up with Cat parts this winter we have hoods, seat kits and yes even airframe boards sitting on our shelves!!! OYYYYYY!!!

Please don't rag on Skinz they are doing the best they can but they are the manufacturer. Talk to us the dealers and we will try to help you out.

The gentleman that wants the XP boards I have 2 sets without deposits that should be arriving in 3 weeksish!

Jan

Last edited:

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
As long as Skinz keeps on making some of the best aftermarket items available for a sled, and keeps making them here in the U.S., with the same level of quality they have always had, they can run their business how they want.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This is a partial excerpt of a letter that i got from Jeff a couple weeks ago when talking to him about how Skinz has been SLAMMED with orders all this Fall.

For them its ALL ABOUT QUALITY, not quantity!!

=====

The reality is, we only have so much capacity and are totally dedicated to building our products in house by us.

The seriously excessive demand is testing all that we believe in... We are privileged to have been able to develop these products to offer them to such an awesome customer base as the snowmobile industry...

Even through all the pressure we are going through to get more out the door, we are still thankful we have this opportunity to participate...

The important thing is, for us, we acknowledge this is a result of what and who we believe in that is bringing this and it's our honor to participate...

All the pressure brings the anxieties but when I settle down, I know we are doing the right thing as good as we can do it. Our end game is benefiting the customer and their snowmobiling experience. This is why our products are what they are.

Jeff Hawksworth
Skinz Protective Gear

320-243-8771
Fax 320-243-2453
www.skinzprotectivegear.com

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
I The old saying in the business world is "You only get one chance to make a first impression".
sled_guy

With all due respect...^^^^..Skinz has exceeded in making great first impressions...thats why they can;t keep up and are slammed with repeat customers want other products of theirs and customers want goods from word of mouth..

If Ford or Chev has their electric vehicles all of a sudden catch on more then their expectations how long do you think it would take them to ramp up production for exceeded estimates..???..i am guessing a few years..

I do as well understand your position entirely and you do what you have to do...but whatever you have to do i don;t see any advantage to being public about the company Skinz..if your unhappy. your unhappy...do what you have to do and get er done..!!..

Skinz is doing what they have to do to get er done..

I hope soon everyone is happy because it got done...lol..

I ordered a few Skinz products through Trax 2 Treadz and on occasion she tells me they could be a while or that she is going down south in a few weeks to pick product up etc..i take it all in stride..i get them when i get them...they ain;t engine parts..i can still ride..

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
It boils down to good designs with great quality standards

I've been privleged to get to know the Hawksworth family on a personal level and understand their unwavering commitment to quality and keeping the work in the USA.

I toured their factory and all their process'... very impressive.

They work like machines there, the factory is well organized and they are constantly investing in production and efficiency items.

The plain truth is that their products are top notch in the quality department, and the demand is high.

They produce for Distributor orders... and as they have stated, do not stock items for retail sales... If the distributor or dealer did not make a good prediction, and make the investment in inventory needed to meet demand early in the year (springtime).... it is no wonder they are selling out of high demand items like the airframe running boards etc.

I feel for you all... it is hard to pony up $$ for sledding stuff when the lake is still warm.... but the writing was on the wall... Great products that have high quality standards will always be in demand.

Keep the faith and Pray for snow.

MH.

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
you gotta love this forum, all too often a small business owner gets on here talking about how "it should be" and hows hes been in business for 800 years selling fruit out of a box van or whatever, you got companys who turn new business away and those who are about to close shop, guess what bisiness id rather be?.....take a page from successful corp americans hand book and learn the art:light:

a closed order book suggest they are managering their business just fine

Last edited:

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Skinz makes great products, I have them on all my sleds but as someone else stated above it is not to difficult to make a similar product. Skinz situation is the demand is higher than production capabilities.

Timbersleds is they decided to only make so many this year. Next year someone else could come up with a similar product for half the price and steal half their business. When you are first to market in any industry you have to get while the getting is good.

If you want a skinz product all you have to do is a little searching and there are dealers that have most of their stuff in stock somewhere. Just order from a dealer and not from the manufacturer, or try putting your sled together before riding season.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Timbersleds is they decided to only make so many this year. Next year someone else could come up with a similar product for half the price and steal half their business. When you are first to market in any industry you have to get while the getting is good.

Z-man... I can see your frustration....So I called up Allen at Timbersled to get the "skinny" on this

Timbersled is the same way about their SnowBike kits. They build as fast as they can, by hand, in a clean shop that employs 7 other people full time, at a living wage to support their family, right here in Northern Idaho. All to a super high quality standard and customer satisfaction level.

The snowbikes are not a bumper or bag... but a complex expensive piece of equipment that is very expensive to make.

It was not a matter of simply "deciding to make a certain number" ... That number was set knowing what their production capabilities are and getting the financing to buy the materials (steel, aluminum, tracks etc) to make what they set. Stuff like tracks, shocks, drivers, wheels chain are items that have long lead times to get.

They take some serious punishment and keep giving smiles to people out there.

Call up and try to order a new PRO RMK... you wont be able to... only the dealers that speculated and made the investment have them on the floor at their dealerships. Same is true for the snowbikes.

They have delivered the first 100 bikes this year, On Time, and with the quality they are known for... the Second set of 100 goes out the door daily as they are completed in production. This will keep them busy for a few more months with just the snowbikes.... In addition to the other products they make.

If you want the quality parts that are in demand, weather that is an OEM or an aftermarket company. You have to get your orders in early.

Right now Timbersled is taking deposits on SnowBike kits for next season. If you do this, you are guaranteed to receive your snowbike early next fall. If one comes up that a customer needs to back out of, those with deposits will be given the first right of refusal on this seasons bike in the order that they sent in their check... pretty simple.

I think it is great in this day and age that companies like SPG and T-sled are thriving in a tough economy and not taking ANY of their work overseas including customer service....Kudos to them for selling as much as they can make!!

Last edited:

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Z-man... I can see your frustration....So I called up Allen at Timbersled to get the "skinny" on this

Timbersled is the same way about their SnowBike kits. They build as fast as they can, by hand, in a clean shop that employs 7 other people full time, at a living wage to support their family, right here in Northern Idaho. All to a super high quality standard and customer satisfaction level.

The snowbikes are not a bumper or bag... but a complex expensive piece of equipment that is very expensive to make.

It was not a matter of simply "deciding to make a certain number" ... That number was set knowing what their production capabilities are and getting the financing to buy the materials (steel, aluminum, tracks etc) to make what they set. Stuff like tracks, shocks, drivers, wheels chain are items that have long lead times to get.

They take some serious punishment and keep giving smiles to people out there.

Call up and try to order a new PRO RMK... you wont be able to... only the dealers that speculated and made the investment have them on the floor at their dealerships. Same is true for the snowbikes.

They have delivered the first 100 bikes this year, On Time, and with the quality they are known for... the Second set of 100 goes out the door daily as they are completed in production. This will keep them busy for a few more months with just the snowbikes.... In addition to the other products they make.

If you want the quality parts that are in demand, weather that is an OEM or an aftermarket company. You have to get your orders in early.

Right now Timbersled is taking deposits on SnowBike kits for next season. If you do this, you are guaranteed to receive your snowbike early next fall. If one comes up that a customer needs to back out of, those with deposits will be given the first right of refusal on this seasons bike in the order that they sent in their check... pretty simple.

I think it is great in this day and age that companies like SPG and T-sled are thriving in a tough economy and not taking ANY of their work overseas including customer service....Kudos to them for selling as much as they can make!!

Your last paragraph nails it MH!

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Thanks Mountainhorse, Don't get me wrong, I love Timbersleds stuff, I have their suspension on two of my sleds and I swear by it.

Premium Features