• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sidehill question

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Kind of a noob here question here, 2000 miles total experience. ( 2014 Summit, now 2022 Lynx )

One thing I have not been able to figure out is sidehills, especially if I'm going slow. The front always wants to crawl up the hill, I can't seem to figure out how to get it to turn back down the hill or less down the hill unless I turn all the way out of the sidehill. I seem to get stuck a lot on sidehills because of it.

I should probably take a clinic but wondered if there is some obvious fix? Doesn't seem to matter how far forward my wrong foot forward foot is either..

My last like 4/5 stucks were me practicing on sidehills lol.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
slow or fast sidehill, doesnt matter. You need to counter steer with ski tips turned toward downhill.
If your sled wants to climb uphill, maybe you have too much weight toward rear of running board so try moving foot placement more toward the footwell.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
And as said above, your skis need pointed away from the hill. Also your wrong foot forward comment makes me wonder if you’re trying too hard, too much rider input.

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
I have no clue how to ride the lynx but all the others respond well to throttle input and weight balance. The closer you are to the rear of the tunnel the more it turns uphill. If you counter steer and keep weight forward of center it won't turn uphill easily. Slow down and finesse the throttle

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
Start off by staying with your feet where they are supposed to be, wrong foot forward is in the "next class" and only needed in tricky terrain, if even there.

Find a long slope or road ditch and just go at it for miles and miles, don't overdo it and head in the brush the first thing you do, learn where there is room for mistakes. As important, but even harder to explain, is throttle control. It's a big portion of a successful sidehill and it comes with experience.

Spending an afternoon carving isn't a bad idea either, carving is the "little brother" of sidehilling ;) :cool:
Doing powder donuts teaches balance points and sled behavior as well as being fun :D

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Start off by staying with your feet where they are supposed to be, wrong foot forward is in the "next class" and only needed in tricky terrain, if even there.

Find a long slope or road ditch and just go at it for miles and miles, don't overdo it and head in the brush the first thing you do, learn where there is room for mistakes. As important, but even harder to explain, is throttle control. It's a big portion of a successful sidehill and it comes with experience.

Spending an afternoon carving isn't a bad idea either, carving is the "little brother" of sidehilling ;) :cool:
Doing powder donuts teaches balance points and sled behavior as well as being fun :D
Thank you, yea carving and donuts are super fun I would do that all day long if I could, but my friends get bored of me :) ( much better riders than me )

The sidehilling thing, its not that I can't sidehill. I just seem to have some issue where once I'm in one I 'sometimes' can't get out of it without getting all the way out of it or I'm always creeping up the hill when I actually want to go down especially in crap snow. I'll figure it out.

Edit: I'm also 6'6" 230lbs. May be some of it.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
I'm "adult sized" too, (1.9m and 110kg), and i have put the Skinz post forward kit on both of the G4 sleds I've had. (one lynx actually but same chassi). I would not want to be without it, it makes the sled much "roomier" and gives me better balance. Smaller riders might not need it as much.

K
Apr 12, 2018
Kind of a noob here question here, 2000 miles total experience. ( 2014 Summit, now 2022 Lynx )

One thing I have not been able to figure out is sidehills, especially if I'm going slow. The front always wants to crawl up the hill, I can't seem to figure out how to get it to turn back down the hill or less down the hill unless I turn all the way out of the sidehill. I seem to get stuck a lot on sidehills because of it.

I should probably take a clinic but wondered if there is some obvious fix? Doesn't seem to matter how far forward my wrong foot forward foot is either..

My last like 4/5 stucks were me practicing on sidehills lol.
Forget those overpriced classes from the YouTube gang. For $40,000, I will drive to where you live and personally teach you.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Forget those overpriced classes from the YouTube gang. For $40,000, I will drive to where you live and personally teach you.
LOL.

Anyway I'll figure it out.

Also to the other posts, I have watched about every youtube video ( Burandt, NxLevel, Rassumussen), I think i probably just need someone that knows what they are doing to point out what I'm screwing up.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I had a friend with me one time who had owned a sled for about three years and could get around pretty good.
One day we’re headed up into a new area and he can’t stay on to save his life. After several fall offs and WTH just happeneds I stopped and asked if he was feeling ok.
He says ya, I just can’t get this countersteer to work. Dude, we’re going straight up a hill. Ya, but I’ve been watching videos to get better but I just can’t figure it out.

I told him to quit figuring and just ride like he used to.
Told him to read the hill, stay high side and react instead of trying to wrap your nuts around your ear with your ankle.

Off we went and the level of stupid dropped considerably after that.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Ha! I always say "just pretend your them" yaha! One thing that is helping me is to point your toes in to counter steer. Fir some reason it helps otherwise I suck real bad and can't really do it either (new last year)

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
If you can countersteer (carve) on the flats, hold that position and veer toward a slight slope. Maintain the countersteer as you begin to ride slightly uphill, going fairly parallel with with the slope but at enough of an angle that you are going slightly uphill. I usually place both feet on the uphill running board but depends on slope, speed, obstacles, powder depth. Practice this going as slow as possible to maintain control.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Since iam struggling too...I just did 5 hrs of practice ugh...how do you initiate the counter steer when your going up. Example- charging straight up and want to veer left going left/up on right ski. I had slot of tines where I'd turn left and blimp throttle wrong foot forward and just get chucked over the sled down hill!!! I had to let the damn snowmobile decide and I didn't like that lol. I could do it (****ylly) if I hit it going parallel but I see guys charging up down all around having to constantly get on the counter steer. Guess they are good lol. I suck but had a blast and can't wait to go again!

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Work on two feet on the high boards first, works most of the time and keeps you in better control than wrong foot forward. Let your throttle roll you on edge.
You’re going into a 35 mph corner at 90 by overusing your wrong foot and throttle.

Step back and get the basic feel first.

Premium Features