• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shot starter issues

02sedona

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Reno, NV
One of the unlucky ones who picked up my new sled early last year. Started it up this year and the first day out my shot stopped working. Took it to my dealer and found out I was out of warranty by a month. They said it was a sensor under the front of the motor that need to get replaced and a two hours of labor. (They ran it on the laptop and swapped out the shot capacitor module to test it out with a good one) Wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I looked at the parts schematics and didn’t see any sensor there. Anyone else have any insight on this?

Last edited:
S
Mar 18, 2018
Hmm, likely a faulty capacitor itself. Can’t remember what year it was but Doo released a bunch of sleds with faulty capacitor- had a similiar issue on my sled.

02sedona

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Reno, NV
Hmm, likely a faulty capacitor itself. Can’t remember what year it was but Doo released a bunch of sleds with faulty capacitor- had a similiar issue on my sled.
They had a good one and swapped it for testing. Said the one on my sled was fine.

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
2019 had a large number of capacitor failures,there was a bulletin on that somewhere ,maybe on Dootalk

02sedona

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Reno, NV
Hmm, keep us posted.
Being a cheap skeet I will be using the pull cord to start my sled. I’m pissed that it is a not a warranty since it was a known problem. At least my motor hasn’t blown up like my Polaris sleds seem to do.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
In my opinion, a one year warranty is scary. Basically, depending on where you are for season length, it is a 1 month to 6 month warranty. But that is also why I pick my sleds up as late as possible, to keep warranty as late as possible.
As posted, go for a goodwill with BRP directly. They are in the position of trying to please as many as possible right now.

T
Dec 19, 2022
Utah
One of the unlucky ones who picked up my new sled early last year. Started it up this year and the first day out my shot stopped working. Took it to my dealer and found out I was out of warranty by a month. They said it was a sensor under the front of the motor that need to get replaced and a two hours of labor. (They ran it on the laptop and swapped out the shot capacitor module to test it out with a good one) Wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I looked at the parts schematics and didn’t see any sensor there. Anyone else have any insight on this?
Did you ever get this fixed? Or do you have any specifics on this sensor? The shot on my sled only works the first 1-2 times each ride. I am wondering if this sensor may have a loose connection. Thanks!

02sedona

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Reno, NV
Never
Did you ever get this fixed? Or do you have any specifics on this sensor? The shot on my sled only works the first 1-2 times each ride. I am wondering if this sensor may have a loose connection. Thanks!
I have not had this repaired yet. I had the shop check it out with their diagnostic test on the laptop. They said the sensor can go out of adjustment, which might be your issue.

Pulling a cord is really not that difficult. It is a minor inconvenience knowing that it could be started with the push of a button.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
there’s a crank position sensor that is integral to the SHOT system. mine failed on my 2020 Freeride and was replaced.

Premium Features