• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

short tracking pro rmk

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Has anyone ever seen it done? Mostly have some technical questions but from my searching so far it seams i may be on the R/D end of it. Considering polaris never built a short track pro chassis (not considering a rush), just think it would be fun for spring time!

Pretty much the build up process is going to go somewhat like this

2011 assault chassis
cromo running bords
121 iqr skid
133x15x1.75" track with lots of track screws :face-icon-small-hap
z broz 45" a-arms
slp cut skis
fox evols up front
race gas boondocker turbo/ intercooler set up (probably set at 12)
and i might put a rush radiator in the front if cooling becomes a problem (wich i am sure it will)

think the biggest challenge is getting the right driver/clutching/gearing. obviously no one can help me on the later.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I'm going 146x 2.4 (camo extreme with a shave) this summer. I think it will go easier than yours though lol. Suspension holes will be critical and tunnel protectors needed.

I'm going cheap. Cut down 155 rails with milled plates and tigging in an old 600 Cat rear, slosh around, heat exchanger some one threw at me a quite a while ago.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Does sound like fun. You gonna gear it for 100mph track speed lol.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2009
Interesting! Taking down an assault or building up an Indy.... Or just getting an 800 in an iqr! Depends on budget and what u have to start with!

Gotmud

Lifetime Membership
Sep 24, 2008
How about just getting a switchback assault?

I asked myself this, isn't the Switchback Assault the same bulkhead as the Pro RMK? My 2011 Assault Switchback has CR running boards, Zbroz front suspension, Timbersled rear skid with IceAge 144"-146", Fox Zeros all the way around, running 144"x2" Challenger track. Weighed in at #491 full of fluids and ready to ride.

Now I'd think you could accomplish the same thing even more easily with an Indy chassis if you really wanted a shorty? I rode a 2014 Indy600 that was stretched to a 136" with a backcountry track, it was VERY impressive. I'm actually considering building one for my son as a 136" RMK.

2014-03-08_16-17-46_557.jpg

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
i already have a 12 switch back assault as my mountain sled. 153 ez ryde, attack 20, this that and some more. Wouldn't hesitate to say that it s one of wildest sleds on the mountain most the time.

i wouldn't want an indy simpy because i already have an extra pro collecting dust and most the parts. my only problem is i don't know what track to use and what drivers to use. i would like to get a spring loaded IQR driver but not sure if it will hold up to the abuse. and as far as making the skid work with the longer track, probably just have ICE AGE make some for me. will probably take the sled to some grass drags this summer for fun. I do have an iqr as well that will be for sale soon. it is just a 440, been down the road of modding that chassis. Had several iqr 440s that turned into a 600, then 800, then 600 mod, long tracked, then short tracked, wrecked and swapped bulk heads. you name it. They are fun chassis but i just don't like the ergonomics of it. I think the pro is a better starting place and obviously lighter. Definetly not as strong though (hence why both my pro's have rippler marks in the tunnel and broken cast supports ETC.

This project is actualy more of just a test for cromolly over structure i plan to use and build this summer when money allows.

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Interesting! Taking down an assault or building up an Indy.... Or just getting an 800 in an iqr! Depends on budget and what u have to start with!

It is my persinal opinion that it doesn't work. They just don't work out right. Most people's builds just come out not working as well as they should on paper. Not to say there arn't some nice sleds out there based off IQR chassis just most of them suck. Pretty much when i think of 800 ves + IQr all that comes to mind is countless hours of broken ****. Literally modifying every nut and bolt on the damn thing just to end up with a sled that is heavy and just not that much FUN. People looking for something like this would be much better off swapping IQR a-arms onto 08-10 assaults which makes an actual back country powder jumping sled.

Premium Features