• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rode the Mirror Lake pass area yesterday 12/5.

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
Rode the Mirror Lake pass area yesterday. Surprisingly it was ok. The road from the Soapstone gate was a little scratchy at the start but once we gained altitude all was good. As long as it stays cold at the trail head the road should hold up. We got off the trail into some of the meadows to the west of Washington and Trial Lakes. Good, safe carving around in the meadows. Better then sitting at home :)

Trial Lake Campground
ab89296e06d57d3a7cdf12253260d790.jpg

Trial Lake Campground
af2eee75f6dd5e07a57695cd6c456d29.jpg

Meadow to the West of Washington Lake
49a81d87c54c5d17ee95623d0f0b0528.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
Get it while it lasts. We rode wolf Creek pass back to Heber peak today. The snow is weak but supportable enough to keep you off the ground on most slopes. The more exposed slopes are wind jacked and south aspects are lacking. If you can find a high elevation protected north slope you can have an exhilarating game of minesweeper. I'd suggest grassy slopes if you can find them.

IMG_20171209_151042.jpg MVIMG_20171209_155719.jpg

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Clarification

Hey @snowbird11 maybe you can clarify for me. Are you saying you heard a good report about the road that goes from the summit of Highway 35 over to Heber Mountain, the peak that is just up above Timber lakes, like a little ESE from Timber Lakes. Please let me know if that's what you're hearing or that's what you see tomorrow.

As you may have seen in my post I just put up, I'm looking for a place where I will at least be able to take my kid on a trail ride with his new snoscoot. It seems like Wolf Creek would be perfect because you can start that summit and never really go much lower than that. I understand that I wouldn't make it very far before running into a bare south facing slope on that trail or an area wind drifted so bad that he couldn't make it on a scoot, nevertheless, if even just the trails at the summit of 35 have enough snow for a mile or two, that would probably be good enough for us to get out and say the new sled has been ridden. Who knows, the gas tank on that thing might not be good for much more than that anyway.

thanks in advance for any help you can send my way.

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
Escmanaze... the post is labeled "rode the mirror lake pass area". I believe the reference to the road / trail being groomed is talking about the Mirror Lake highway aka Rt 150. If you parked at the Soapstone parking lot at the closed gate for Rt 150 it sounds like it's groomed from there over towards Bear River Lodge near Evanston. The deeper snow mentioned would most likely be found near the Mirror lake pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
Yes, 35 is still open until at least today. It'll likely go longer unless we get a storm good enough to cover the road at nobletts.

I'm told yesterday was pretty good and that hwy 150 is groomed. I'll head up there after lunch and see. Hope it's a little deeper by then.

Soapstone would be a good place to take the kid or mirror lake hwy. That is if you're sure they can control the machine. Soapstone has switchbacks up to open terrain. The mirror lake road is mostly flat without steep sides very close to the road. The river is off to the right on your way up.

Last edited:

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
Not a bad day. It's deep in spots but better know what the ground looks like where you're riding. Your sled's not far from it. We need some base before it's pillaging time.

The roads were good until up near the pass where they were heavily wind affected. The pass was even blown back down to blacktop on the windward edges.

There's a good windslab sitting on weak snow. Most test slopes released easily, one remotely.

IMG_20171223_152758.jpg

Last edited:

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Thanks

Awesome, thanks tons guys. I guess I was a little incredulous that the parking lot for Soapstone/150 would even have any snow on it to start off. That's crazy. Thanks for the update.

Premium Features