• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RK Tek - drop in kit 800R

oldstyle33

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2009
Omaha, NE
I just installed the drop in kit in my XP. Hopefully, I get the said 12+ HP out of the new head and pistons! :) The manufacturing looks pretty good! I was reading the directions from Kelsey and he said to never use synthetic oil. That is interesting. He also recommends to use a mineral-based oil for break in. Does anyone know what oil out there is mineral based? How long do I need to run the mineral based oil? Or why this would be recommended? Should I switch to a semi-synthetic after break in? Also, his directions had us move from 480 to 450 jets, but then put 150:1 oil in the tank on top of the direct injection. If anyone has any experience with the RK TEK drop in kit. Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

C

cjgodden

Nov 26, 2007
Palmer, Alaska
mineral oil impregnates the cylinder, and synthetic does not. He is a firm believer in mineral based oils, And as far as i am concerned if you chose to not follow the instructions given to you by the builder of the kit, dont be suprised when it does not meet your expectations.

Follow the builders specs, and you will be happy.

Your only running the extra oil in the gas for the first tank, it is for break-in, even the dealer has you do that on a new stock motor.

S
Mar 31, 2009
I put a drop in kit in an older zx sled quite a while ago very happy listen to kelsey hes no joke knows what hes talkin about. I now just put his 860 kit in my xp but have only ridden a few miles so havnt even broke in yet, cant wait till my thumb can hit the handlebar a few time maybe in a few weeks.... good luck i pre mixed a few tanks in the zx but will probly listen to him on the xp oil in the gas cant hurt nothin.

R

rhino

Nov 26, 2007
Greenwater WA
Kelsey ,suggests to run 150:1 all the time because he doesn't feel the oil injection system is reliable enough on the ski doo motor. If the cable breaks or the specs gets off etc you could squeek your motor. If you pre mix a bit you will always have a cushion of safety.
had his drop in kit on a ZX and it worked!

P

pfi572

Nov 29, 2009
North West Alberta
Oldstye,
Mineral oil is the cheaper oil at BRP along with lots of other brands.If mixing oil us the mineral also as my understanding is that the synthetic doesn't mix well.
I always dump some extra mineral oil in with every tank.
We all know what cranks are like and the little extra oil doesn't hurt anything .

S
Jan 27, 2011
Boise
Rk tek drop in

Had drop in done, and I recommend listening to what Kelsey say to do. I always put a bit of oil in the tank as well just to be sure she's well lubricated. I asked kelsey about my plugs not always being the perfect "tan" and he told me not to worry about that but pay attention to how she's performing.

Premium Features