• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ProClimb electrical issues and quality

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
Started this thread to get some info to Arctic-Cat. They produce fine machines but quality has went down big time from -10 and -11 sleds (which are/were almost bullet proof).

So, I'm wondering how common these ProClimb electrical issues are? Here in Finland my pals have mainly Cats and Poos nowdays. ALL - and I mean EVERY CAT - has some electrical issue which causes weird things and which leads sleds to be towed home from forest. This would be ok if it happens only once or twice in a year but it seems to happen every time we go to forest. Not acceptable. Not at all. People love their machines when they work, but they are tired of the small issues causing their holiday ruining issues.

Main reason for all weird electrical issues is the wiring harness and connectors. The ECU connector and all other connectors break/burn which causes very complicated issues. So, step up and check the wires and connectors. Hopefully next new 2 stroke engine has better quality wires and connectors.

Those also those snapping axles, tensioner etc so reliability issues compared to previous M-series are huge.

Does these things happen in US and other countries too?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I have had electrical gremlins with my 09 and 15 M8's. I do have Power commanders on both but, it's hard to blame them for all the issues.

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
The big ECU connector is the main issue usually. The white plate inside that connector holding the pins wear/move/something else and after that pins go shorted. Another issue is the wire cover (that tube) what AC is using. It's too hard plastic and the wires get cut where that cover ends. Back in the M7 days they used soft cover on wires and it was way better for the wires.

We have had some issues with old M too, but not as much as ProClimb.

Sometimes the issues show up after 2000 km and mainly after 5000 km. So the warranty has usually just stopped.

Last edited:
B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
Well, there's quite difference then :) We easily drive 2000-3000 km per year. So 5000 km mark is hit quite soon - some drive that during the first year. Luckily this new engine is good and it can easily hit 15000 km mark without opening. Annoying thing is these electric issues as you can't go into wilderness alone.

Funny thing happened last weekend:
PC -12 shut down during driving without warning and it didn't woke up anymore. So it got towed. During towing the sled which was pulling it started to struggle and died (PC -14). Surprisingly the first one woke up so guys switched that sled front and pulled the other back to car. At home the other woke up also. Sleds have 3500km and 7500km in odometer. Bad thing is these issues happened at Sweden and we live in Finland :)

B
Nov 27, 2007
Rovaniemi, Finland
This has been the issue this year:
temporary_zpsgff9p4vg.jpg

C

cowkiller

Nov 26, 2007
Eugene Or.
I have had quite a few electrical issues with mine. gauge, ECU, voltage regulator,electric starter, hand warmers, headlights blown (twice) it has been an electrical nightmare.
2014 limited. My dealer has written Arctic Cat no response as yet.

L

lewey

Dec 26, 2007
vancouver
Be interesting to hear what all the problems have been. 1200kms on a 16, have had multiple breakdowns. Tether, sticking throttle, fuel issues, etc. I've been towed, borrowed spare sled and had mine trucked around mountain ranges instead of riding over trails, and last week needed a heli lift out. My first day it died for 10 min, then started and ran fine all day. Can't count how many times that has happened. Hate to take a loss, but I'm over this POS. Might have to go back to doo. Love the sled when it runs, but way too unreliable when you're that far out in the backcountry. Buddy who is a cat guy, that sold me on them, has had the same issues on multiple cats. Even his 16 does it too. Of course I find this out afterwards.

bcsnowdog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
frank mountain bc
i must be just lucky 05 m7 13,000kms same engine minor tail light wiring issue
09 m8 8500 kms no problems
14 m8000 3800kms no issues yet but now nervous

Snow Fever

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
BC
I have a 15' proclimb 8000 and have about 21 rides on it and of those 21 rides 15 rides have had an electrical issue. (Lots of different things) Fix one thing and then something else pops up. Love the sled, but the quality SUCKS !!!!. I'm used to yamaha's 5000 + miles and no issues making 300hp! If Yamaha would make a sled that weighs what this 8 weighs and do it on there own, not affiliated with Cat at all, I would jump ship in a heart beat. Rode the new Doos and don't like the feeling of them, don't trust Poos motors.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
knock on wood - 3 pcs and the only electrical issue I've had is due to the cat tether. I add a connector to those so it can easily be disconnected. I guess I've had a few warmers go out, but all have been fixed under warranty.

Premium Features