• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PRO/Nytro project!!

S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
project NyPro is a GO!!

Just sold my motor, and found a used nytro mtx to do motor swap. Anyone looking for a show room condition 2008 nytro mtx 45th anniversary edition chassis for a nypex project give me a shout! Looking for $1750 for everything (chassis, skid, shocks, track 153", seat, exhaust, skis, and plastics!

S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
Here's a good pic of it.

That is quite the custom build, we will be striving for as much factory look as possible. I just pulled some measurements tonight, going to weigh the 2stroke tomorrow , as I pulled everything out tonight of my pro, will be pulling motor and electrical this week out of my nytro, cant wait to start dry fitting this thing and brainstorming alot of ideas!

Last edited:

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Hey SnoProMod

Looking forward to the build. It'll be interesting to see how a 13 RMK/Nytro combo works, but you are definitely on the right track.

Yamaha should really be getting some seat time on some of these hybrid/customs to understand how different these sleds are with 50-80 lbs missing and how close they get to the 800 2-strokes in performance on the hill.

My modded MTX 153 is 565 RTR (say 50lbs for fuel) and you get a base weight around 515 lbs. With std engine mods (intake/header/fuel controller) its around 150hp +/- and the combo flat out works for my 1000-3000 elevation.

They simply become a very different beast in a light weight chassis, and for those who have tried them, I can tell you this.....I am not looking at an RMK with envy anymore, especially after the enevitable "bang" from the Liberty 800.

Warnings? I have a small one that is fairly common. I am pretty sure you'll be putting some K&N's or a similar intake system which are prone to freeze up. But if you put frogskins or really anything to stop the direct injestion of snow above and in front of the filters, they never ice up. I put a custom frogskin filter on the small vent directly below the headlight on my mtx. Although the vent is tiny, maybe 3/4" x 4", it would freeze filters every hour or so, but with the frogskins on and in 4 feet of powder, they never froze up.

I'm sure the filters are pretty much at the bottom of the list on a build like this but just sayin'

Have fun with the build..

OTM

S

snopromod

Nov 30, 2008
wy
Off trail mike, I agree that these four strokes are very close to the 800s in every way! we did a side by side comparison 13 800 pro 155 and 08 mtx 153, I loved the low end torque! and outside from the obvious geometry of chassis the motors were very close. The weight of motor itself doesnt seem that different either, I have the 2 stroke laying on the bench right now, hoping to have the nytro motor out this week and i will weigh them both to see stock for stock what the difference is!

What fuel controller are you running and what head mod did you do? As for the intake issue I am going to try running some rubber hose up to the stock airbox on the PRO that way I have the stock air horns

C
Nov 29, 2008
I have the 2 stroke laying on the bench right now, hoping to have the nytro motor out this week and i will weigh them both to see stock for stock what the difference is!

Please post the numbers! would be real interesting to see what actual motor weight comparison is then we would know what Yamaha needs to get it's chassis down to!

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
SnoPro

No head work on mine. I stuck to just the intake/exhaust mods. The fuel controller is a PowerCommander 5 using a map built by Allen Ulmer.

The PC5 works well, and when matched for your mods....when you punch it...things happen! Great throttle response.

Not sure on using the RMK air box. I'm sure it will work, but these engines seem to be very sensitive to both the intake and exhaust, so keep it in mind. Its an easy setup anyway if you need it.

Quite a few guys have machined the heads and ported/polished to add another 10 HP, but it comes with the usual trade off between compression ratio and fuel type (Some combo of premium and av gas) to keep detonation in line.

Like couch, I am keen to see your engine weights, because have always assumed the Nytro is +/-50lbs heavier than an 800 2 stroke, but with all thier direct/semi direct injection hardware now, I suspect the gap has narrowed a bit.

OTM

Premium Features