• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Power Claw vs. Attack 20. honest opinions?

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
atk 20 and pc are very similiar in profile nearly identeical sans the fingers, and the pc is straight lug vs atk 20 is angled ,, some straighten it to be more like the pc.

i dont have expereince with the atk 20 , but people talking about how much better the atk is with straightend lugs makes me beilive the pc is an evolved atk 20 , the next step of refinement ,, plus it is lighter.

challenger X is another story , its a different profile and a different lug height.
i could see a clearer argument being made in this comparison, but with the atk 20 and pc being so close in design with logical and obvious refinements i dont buy that the atk 20 is superior to the pc in any way shape or form

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
actully im not sure it is lighter , but they did tout the single ply being lighter,, in the end on the scales im not sure that was the case

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
pc vs the other

I have two m sleds.............the one I ride with the PC the older m with the attack 20, with both sleds out in the woods with friends riding and swapping in lots of conditions the last 3 years.............the PC has it hands down, its like changing tires for an MX race, if you have 20 sets of rubber available for race day and keep good records of track conditons acutately, you will know which tire to put on just before that moto.........ditto for these tracks, each track has its virtues...........the attack 20 just has a lot fewer virtues...........like Pirelli tires.........very limited application.

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
atk 20 and pc are very similiar in profile nearly identeical sans the fingers, and the pc is straight lug vs atk 20 is angled ,, some straighten it to be more like the pc.

i dont have expereince with the atk 20 , but people talking about how much better the atk is with straightend lugs makes me beilive the pc is an evolved atk 20 , the next step of refinement ,, plus it is lighter.

challenger X is another story , its a different profile and a different lug height.
i could see a clearer argument being made in this comparison, but with the atk 20 and pc being so close in design with logical and obvious refinements i dont buy that the atk 20 is superior to the pc in any way shape or form

either you or i must have a pc that is much different from the rest.... i find that the pc and a20 are only similar in the fact that they have very wide lugs. other than that, the lug layout isn't the same, the lug thickness isn't the same, and i'm pretty sure the lug height isn't the same. what really gets me confused is that you say that the pc has straight lugs... not mine. they roll over backwards, like the a20 in powder position. that's why i'm wondering if it might be worth a shot to turn it around. i'm just not sure it would work because i think the lugs are shorter and stiffer than the a20.

M

minet

Nov 26, 2007
not sure, but the lugs themselfs look just stright up and down , its the fingers that have the angle to them on the pc

and its the same staggered pattern as the atk from what i have noticed , they both are declaring 2.25 lug height ,, not sure what the real world actual is but thats what thier spec sheets would say

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
just checked, and yes the lug layout does look the same. but the paddles themselves are quite different. the tallest portion of the a20 lug measures 2.25", but i can't measure any portion of the pc lug over 2". the pc fingers are tipped forward, into the direction of travel, but the paddles are tipped backwards, away from the direction of travel.

first 2 pics are a20, second 2 are pc.

a20 001.jpg a20 002.jpg a20 003.jpg a20 004.jpg

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
it looks like all the hype is finally wearing off with the powerclaw. I have run all these tracks on many different sleds and different conditions and the ones i still own are the CE 2.5 and the attack 20. But you have to run the attack 20 in the HILLCLIMB position from day 1 otherwise you will not have a good experience.

bushy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
Glacier View, CO
I've run the A-20 since 05 on my 162 with few complaints. Only in spring wet snow do I wish I had a challenger or PC, cause it sucks on mush and ice. I still think it's probably the best in deep dry pow, but the PC is probably the better track all around.

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado
I've run the A-20 since 05 on my 162 with few complaints. Only in spring wet snow do I wish I had a challenger or PC, cause it sucks on mush and ice. I still think it's probably the best in deep dry pow, but the PC is probably the better track all around.

you must not be running your attack in the hillclimb position. the attack 20 absolutely rocks in the spring slush when in the HILLCLIMB postion i love it. I honestly cant fathom running an attack 20 in the powder position in any conditions. i have tried it the track just spins like crazy with zero hookup.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
it looks like all the hype is finally wearing off with the powerclaw. I have run all these tracks on many different sleds and different conditions and the ones i still own are the CE 2.5 and the attack 20. But you have to run the attack 20 in the HILLCLIMB position from day 1 otherwise you will not have a good experience.

I wouldn't say the hype is wearing off, maybe there were people that said that the PC would win in ANY condition imaginable, but I think we all know that each track has its virtues.

I've run the PC against the Ce on my own similar sleds & quickly sold the CE afterwards, and after a few years with the PC's on our sleds I'm still of the same opinion.

The A20 can be a great track, and from a competitive standpoint I think will beat the PC in a number of conditions, but like was said above I feel the the PC just plain has more virtues in more different conditions than any of the other tracks I've run.

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
I have experience with a 2005 M7 162 w/ attack 20, 2005 M7 153 w/ attack 20 (both run i power position and HC with straightened paddles). Also 2009 M8 162 and 153 with power claw.

Attack 20 in powder position only was good in powder. Other than deep powder, it was not a good track. No hookup and a little scary on the trails.

Attack 20 in HC with straightened lugs was an improvement, but in my opinion not as good as a challenger.

Power claw has been a terrific track in all snow conditions. Maybe not the best every single day, but I would say it is the best 90% of the time. Hooks up great and floats well. I wouldn't want to own any other track, unless they made it in 2.5".

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
there were 2 times ever when i found my a20 to not work. first time was a patch of bulletproof icy snow on a steep climb. i thought i blew my belt. revving right up, but going nowhere.

second time was trying to brake on 6 inches of sticky fresh snow on top of a hard base. the sticky stuff would pack into the lugs and act like a crazy carpet on the hard base. this really sucked, but i doubt the pc would have been much better.

how often do i run into these conditions? almost never. these 2 incidents were 3 years apart. in all other conditions the a20 flat out rocked. powder, slush, hardpack, didn't matter.

i do find that the pc is very similar. thats why i wanted to ask about the comparison to the a20 specifically. i find that the difference is when the snow gets deep. the pc does fine so long as it can find something hard underneath. i've had many moments where i'm losing speed then all of a sudden it grabs and takes off. but when the snow is so deep that your foot rails are touching the surface of the snow before the track finds something hard, your climb is over quick. i remember the a20 just grabbing anything it could and launching the sled forward.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
A20 VS POWER CLAW

THE POWER CLAW HAS THE ABILITY TO FLOAT TO THE TOP IT, CLIMBS UP AND OUT OF THE HOLE AND FLOATS BETTER, THE ATTACK 20 (ALWAYS IN HILL CLIMB POSITION) WOULD DIG AND TRENCH, IT WOULD TRENCH UNTIL U WERE STUCK, THE POWER CLAW STAYS ON TOP BETTER, I FEEL THE BRAKING, STEEP DOWN HILL WERE COMPARABLE.

B
Jan 16, 2010
Northern Utah
I can see why a lot of folks aren't as pleased with the PC when compared to the ATK20 in hill climb position. Most of you are riding where the snow is pretty wet and heavy which a stiffer track is better for.

A friend of mine has an M7 that came with its ATK20 flipped around and it hooked up on hardpack so much that it felt like the sled would flip over, but where we ride (interior Alaska) the snow is very sugary and the harder your track the more you trench in the deep stuff.

His problem was when he climbed a hill he wouldn't move very fast but when he hit firmer snow deeper in the pack it would almost rip the handlebars out of his hands. So we tossed a 80 durometer powerclaw on it and it climbs so much better its like a new sled.

Just curious, those who weren't happy with their PC, did you try the 90 durometer track or 80? The 90 is the track the HCR models come with and is recommended for heavy snow.

M

Mnt bound

Aug 16, 2008
Western Colorado
I don't know I have read the thread and I will sale my 153 Atk 20 to anyone that wants it. I'm keeping my PC.

PS no ripped lugs and in good shape. Make Offer.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
For all you ac20 lovers, have you seen this post?

RV Sports Sale on tracks

Looks like excellent prices... about 280 shipped for new?

Sorry for the plug, figured I would help you guys out since I have been following this thread as it has some really good information about tracks and usage for different locations.

Last edited:
Premium Features