• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polishing Tunnel

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Stovebolt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Tetons
www.bustedcompass.com
Double cool Slednoggin........

props.........

Stovebolt
(should I use velcro to my chest to keep that enormous CLOCK tight; the "Flava unit" I wear around my neck? If I could just get a clock on a gold chain that has a transceiver in it, I could ditch my Barryvox.............)

SnoDmon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Lewistown, MT
Also if you have a dull spot, like the rear cooler on an 05-06 IQ RMK, an SOS pad and some elbow grease works well to get that to a polish, than mothers away..... Although the sanding must be the key.... I did my whole tunnel with SOS pads and then Mothers and a Powerball but mine didn't turn out mirror finished.... And after about two or three rides it was gettin' kinda dingy.... Looks like I'll be buyin' some sand paper and coating it with wax this year:rolleyes:

:devil:

K
Oct 7, 2008
My wife loves it when I polish her tunnel. She said it works best with a hot dickens cider:)She just got a new taurus from pinkley ford, so while I'm polishing her tunnel, I usually buff her pinkley taurus:)
It's too bad that some will need that explained:D.* Most likely in a PM or entirely different forum alltogether;).

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Tunnel

My sled i not done yet So I am not ready to start polishing but I did do some test spots tonight. Tunnel is very dull and scratched. Looks like if I start with some 800 grit and wet sand with it till happy with that then 1200 then 1500. Then somewhere around 1800 and finish with 2000 and 2500. It should put me where I want to be. And then use some mothers and the powerball i would think it will shine like a diamond. I worked in a detail shop at a local car dealer for a while. Polishing a tunnel is like a good buff job on the car. We would start by washing the car, then wet sand bad scratches and then buff with a buffing compound with a high speed buffer and work your way up to plain wax. It was a long process and the car ussually looked worse before it looked better but a try buff job does remove a slight amount of the cars finish. Not something you would wanna do once a month maybe once every two years. But to keep it looking nice i needs to be taken car of. I will post before and after pictures when i get to it I think it will be next week sometime. I am sure I can make it look like sawyers. And I am sure he didn't start out with a old corroded tunnel.

himarker

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2002
Prescott, Washington
Ive always used some stuff i found at work in the old parts dept. Its called SIMICHROME, has anyone heard of it or know where i can get some more? Its a light pink paste in a yellow and red steel can. It works REALLY well without sanding(never tried it with sanding), if anyone knows of the stuff, let me know.

S

SilverGriz

Oct 22, 2004
Hayden, ID
Mothers is very affordable for how good it works. I bought a good size jar that will do the entire tunnel for under $6.

DSC04231.jpg

I steel wooled my tunnel on my pro-x and polished it. The person that had it before me must have tryed to use some sort of acid cleaner to clean it up before and it looked like they had left it on there for quite some time.... either way it ended up etched. Apart from the steel wool, I used not even a quarter can of Never Dull on it and it looks incredible as compared to what it did. Its not even half of what any of the tunnels on here look like, but if you are lookin to spend a few hours on a tunnel just to better it a little bit, some fine steel wool and never dull will do the trick, just don't expect a professional look from it. Ill get some pictures and throw them on here. i think it took me like 3 hours of total work to do it... spent 3 days on it but it was mostly spent looking at the little bits i did to start off with, i was in awe to say the least lol

Premium Features