• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Part 2 KTM 500 turbo project

swedenturbo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
Sweden
Part 2 thread of the work on our hombuild project of a turbocharged KTM 500.
You can find part 1 tread in this link https://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325741

This has been a long project and since 2013 we´re learning more every year.
So far, turbocharging has worked quite well and with some final improvements, we think will have something works extremely well and with good reliability.

The last post on the previous thread was of the conrod failure.
The engine is rebuilt and up and running with a stock conrod installed. The boost is turned down to 0,5 bar that hopefully will work in the short term. Our conclutions is that a stock rod is not suitable.
We will order stronger custom made rods this summer. The 2016 bike will be replaced with a 2019 bike that all our future builds will be based on the 2017 engine family. By this me can order several custom rods that will fit 2017 and newer engines. Probably better price if you order a bunch of rods.

Still some issues of the turbosetup on the 2017 bike to iron out.
Have had since the beginning of the build on this perticular bike some issues.
0b08c19159ccb5ca443bd9a781f27280.jpg

The previous 2016 turbo bike runs perfectly but the 2017 seems to struggle with basically the same setup. The 2017 KTM 500 is a completely reworked engine that clearly makes this turbo build work sligtly differenly.
It runs perfectly on full throttle but in midrange, especially when throttling up or down, it boggs or completely dies. This makes it hard to ride despite lots of power at full throttle.
Have tried to troubleshoot this issue by replacing various components to find the errors without sucsess. The conclusion ended up to that there was something completely wrong with the fuel map.

Connected an A/F guage and a logging unit to get some figures whats happening. Surprsingly was that the fuel map was spot on but the error turned out to be a misfault in reading correct crank rpm. The piggyback efi-unit rpm input is connected to the grey wire on the on the oem fuel injector. This inuput signal turned out to be really bad due to the fact that the throttle enrichment mode not seems to be modulated with duty cycle but instead the number of pulses. The readout log shows that when advancing throtte on midrange, it suddenly jumps from 6.000 to 15.000 rpm within a second which we all know is completley wrong. By this wrong input, the piggyback injector fires wrongly and floods the engine of fuel. That explains the missfiring of the engine when you slightly twist the throttle under load.
The most resonable solution would be to get a better prm signal in order to get the piggyback efi to calculate the correct fuel not matter of boost or rpm.
The problem on most dirtbikes is that they doesn’t have any revcounter or similar output signal.
Tried to connect to an other wire to count crank revolution . With an occiloscope connected, you can monitor the quality of the suitable input pulse. The crank sensor showed a nice sinusoidal wave which unfortunately is not a good signal for a rpm signal to the piggyback efi box. It has to be a square wave for it to work. There are probably some aftermarket filters avaliable than can convert a sinusoidal waves to square but we didn´t choose to go that path.
7706935213999f6d7b8c32adc4bea9c7.jpg

Tested the wire to the volt regulator. This left a good square wave but due to the number of coils in the stator, it indicated 16,000 pulses already at idle which makes it impossible to map up to 10,000 rpm. I also tried to connect input signal to the ignition coil but it did not deliver a quality pule for the piggyback efi-box.
730091f7bde8240ae04e4affade48369.jpg

The easiest and best solution turned out be replacing the current piggyback efi unit to a new box that instead moderates the duty cycle of the stock injector in the throtthle body. The additional fuel injector will be ditched. It will most likely not be able to deliver enough fuel with the oem fuel injector. Duty cycle will probalby be more than 100% at moderate boost levels. In that case I will go for a larger injector. As far as I know, no larger bolt on KTM injector is avaliable but with some modifications, some other suitable after market injector will fit.
This looks to be a better solution when dealing with wierd rpm input signals. We will be able to get better control of fueling and also a simpler build. Less parts simplifies the build and also deliver fuel more accurately.
Thanks to our moderate boost levels, a large single injector will likely have enough flow rate to deliver fuel to a 90+ hp engine.
100+ hp 1 bar boost will likely require an extra injector but also some heavy engine modifications such a lowcomp piston and probably more...
Our goal has since the beginning been a reliable and powerful everyday turbo snowbike.

Have put the rear wheel on, ready for some dyno tests.
15cecb21e6e53506597ecb7f35b684bb.jpg

Replaced the rear shock with a rigid strut. No suspension is allowed as the turbocharger is very close to the wheel.
61c4ab7e1abbc0ed835e4c684e29194d.jpg

Last edited:

El Gringo

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2010
Calgary Alberta
Thanks for the update, I always enjoy reading about what you guys have been up to. Well done figuring out what was going on with your part throttle fuelling, that stuff is way over my head. I think you are on the right track, a reliable 90 hp snow bike would be awesome.

swedenturbo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
Sweden
Finally it's runs perfectly! Ended up with some tweaking on both fuel map and injectors. The peak power is the same as previous dyno runs, 93 hp at 0.5 bar boost which is awsome, but this time with excellent rideability.
c90c03bfa4f65fa70037f985f66263c0.jpg

First we started by switching the piggyback Efi Box to a duty cycle modulated efi-box.
Uploaded a rough fuel table and made a few pulls. It performed really good but as expected, the fuel flow leaned out at as high as 0.3 bar. Apparently, it is a fairly large injector installed on a KTM500 that can deliver fuel up to roughly 75 hp.

Had already pre-modified the attachment to the larger aftermarket 420 cc injector, ready to bolt on the throttle body.
It required a little planning, machining, welding and milling to construct the mount to fit.
a6a1c772a868092a13361cc10025deb2.jpg

9a416b4fcc1b77e633612f4f94899806.jpg

Installing a larger injector, the duty cycle was set shorter to work without boost, and longer on boost. This would likely be the solution. Unfortunately, it showed the same wierd missfirings and overfueling issues that I previously experienced. Apparently, a larger injector was not the solution.
9e28a91d00a02e7fa63c61a3acf87049.jpg

Reinstalled the oem injector as it obviously performed so well but at the same time, knowing that it does not deliver enough fuel flow. This would require an extra injector to top up fuel up to peak boost target at 0.5 bar.
Fortunately, there is an additional output channel on the new efibox to control a injector for water/methanol injection.
We chose to use this channel to fire the extra fuel injector.
Mapped so that we first max out the oem injector and then top up with the extra injector. This solution turned out to work great! It is certainly a quite odd fuel map that lacks reasonable explanation but it works!
Really fun and it feels like we have a perfect setup for the upcoming season.
c25ff9287e58a750534b3697d92621df.jpg

061e87a7a9935b5ecbc61eebc0beba54.jpg

Left is to istall a stronger conrod. Ideas on a manufacurer is on the line but nothing clear currently. Think we have solutions and hopefully gets in place soon.

Last edited:

swedenturbo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
Sweden
Yetikit, turbochargerkit off and wheels on! I will make some enduroriding with this bike this summer. Thanks to that this bike never seen dirt since new, it will look like a brand new bike when conversion is done :)
There is a lot of work to restore it to a wheeled configutarion due to the turbo engine modificatons. The complete engine had to be taken out to replace the lowcomp piston to the standard piston. Clutch, head studs etc. were also modified and will be restored to original specs.
78e1360e2a423d74ec5060d749261ecd.jpg

For those who are looking for a turbokit for a KTM 500 EXC 2014-2016, this prototype turbokit is for sale. Ready to put on including fully tuned piggyback EFI, intercooler, lowcomp piston and all parts needed to get everything runnin.
Been reluctant to ship it overseas but this can also be an interesting project for me to help you to get it runnin. From our testing, recommended setup is 105 octane RON fuel and 7,25 psi that will offer roughly 90-92 rwhp. With 10:1 comp ratio you can probably run premium gas but we haven’t tested this setup.
Current plenum design is made for a rigid strut but have succesfully ridden it with a Yeti RRS-shock. Not sure it will work with Timbersled TSS?

Next winter, this perticular bike will run naturally aspirated with my old trusted homebuilt GEN2 snowbike kit. Simly a snowbike for my old ”skeptical” sledbuddys to put snowbiking to the test.
A brand new KTM500 is ordered. Will build this as a new turbobike with the same stetup as the current 2017 turbo.

Many may think this build might be quite cool to ride as a turboenduro but unfortunately there is no room for the rear wheel with a reasonable suspension travel. To run this bike with wheels, it would reqired an extensive redesign location of both turbo and intercooler that it would be placed outside of the fairings.
99a6b7027d76729e866c7456ceec7e07.jpg

The carillo rods are ordered but as expeced with very long delivery time. Hope we have these ready before the beginning of November.
After asking several performance shops in Sweden, the only who responded where the Carillo reseller Motospeed. Sent them a brand new OEM-rod that they can use as a template for measurement.
83f05641140ae38f5fa079eb5565e2ca.jpg

After more than two days of tinkering, it's ready to ride!
f6871c5478a9c4d590c8e1e789c8e2a5.jpg

Last edited:

swedenturbo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
Sweden
My proven turbokit is for sale. US $2.300 + shipping
An opportunity for you who look for a reliable setup with great rideability and minimal turbo lag. My opinion is that this will work better than most simpler BD:s turbo kits.
All parts included as fully tuned piggyback EFI, intercooler, lowcomp piston, studs, clutch upgrade and so on... Just bolt on and ready to go! Fits KTM500 2014-2016. (2012-2013 has unfortunately a roller bearing crank that has proven to be to weak)
Suggested seup is racefuel, 0,5 bar boost and roughly 90-92 rwhp. You could probably run with premium pump fuel on 10:1 lowcomp piston but we haven’t tested this. If you would like to go for standard 11,8:1 compresion, 0,5 bar will work with race fuel.

I have been reluctant to ship overseas but after thinking about it, this can be a fun project for me to help you get it runnin.
I’m selling this kit just because it won’t fit my new bike.
f6160edb6f3eafa78bce889a26b74820.jpg

90f4a87e0692564584f7afd8b919c7ec.jpg

25a1b39a601942b49dd8a26c50454c44.jpg
abbafef03e95932312ed520fdf413768.jpg

Last edited:

swedenturbo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
Sweden
Winter is comin. Awsome!
Have had huge problems with the fueling of the new turbo bike.
Missfirings, sputters and everything in between ...
The 2016 KTM 500 turbo has worked great but with the same setup on the new bike, fueling was completley wrong.
With same bikes, what would go wrong?

Got an interesting info about this:
Split injection was put into KTM's fuel injection system in 2019. It's similar to Honda's Dual-Timing injection system from 2014. Split Injection breaks the long burst of fuel spraying out of the injector nozzles into two halves. The first short-duration spray cools the back of the intake valves, so the following long-duration spray has a denser air / fuel mixture to work in. This results in more usable power across the midrange. ”

This explains my problems with the piggyback EFI which misreads how the fuel should be delivered when it registers double pulses. Floods the engine as soon as the boost build up....
The solution turned out to be switchimg the standard EFI for a Vortex box, an aftermarket box that does not use dual timing. This delivers the fuel in the way the piggyback EFI needs.
The vortex box offers the possibility to change fuel and ignition timing setting but in this case I run with the default setting. Finally I have found the solution, go for Vortex when runnin piggyback EFI!
e2b40c9cdcf1efb803be95b2b72661cd.jpg

swedenturbo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
Sweden
My first engine failure on my turbo snowbike after more than 9 years with boost. Fuel starvation due to a clogged fuel filter.
The cylinder head was ok but replaced valves, piston and cylinder. Piston parts found their way into the exhaust valves...

The filter in the tank was black, clogged and imploded.
From now, I will change fuel filter every year to prevent this to ever happening! The KTM OEM pump seems to be bad quality and releases graphite residue from the impeller that cloggs the filter!
Changed to a hopefully better aftermarket fuel pump from Quantum which should prevent clogging of the fuel filter.

Not sure if the race fuel is the problem or if normal gas will affect the pump and filter in the same way. Maybe all snowbikers should take look at their fuel filter?

cf0c274a45ef15f2c96d9ee43a22821f.jpg

609e987be68da81a66c0b4b917c8b9b5.jpg

44fae2a6df90795285a0191facaaf8f7.jpg

10d8acb81238cc4d7a24b8099fe24bf5.jpg

8e88b4cdf229396916c0ba042b8a7d5e.jpg

43a2969c36a2b7046ad1b92fb1782ca8.jpg

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
Dang, that's too bad that you lost a motor. I try to replace my fuel filters every season just for safety. Glad to see your kit is still working good. I'd love to try to build a turbo setup, just no time...or knowledge. Good work!

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Swedenturbo, welcome back. 9 years, wow. Thanks for update. How many pistons, over that period? Have you found the source of the flaking, I assume it is aluminum, on the valves and piston? Other than debris/flaking any damage to the piston? I don't see any cracks. Oem pistons? original crank? just reread your post, sounds like some damage to piston was source of debris?

swedenturbo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
Sweden
Swedenturbo, welcome back. 9 years, wow. Thanks for update. How many pistons, over that period? Have you found the source of the flaking, I assume it is aluminum, on the valves and piston? Other than debris/flaking any damage to the piston? I don't see any cracks. Oem pistons? original crank? just reread your post, sounds like some damage to piston was source of debris?

The 9 years of boost is in total of 3 bikes. The first turbo prototype was a 2012 KTM500EXC, and then a 2016 and currently a 2020.
The failure is not lack of piston replacement, but more of fuel starvation. Carbon brusches in the fuel pump clogges up the fuel filter. Maybe regular non boosted bikes can cope with this but a boosted bike flows 50% more fuel and this is obviously an issue.
I run all the fuel trough the OEM fuel pump. An additional fuel pump can probably solve this but ads complexity.
I think that boosted bikes needs a 100 hrs piston and crank rebuild for reliable operation but this is my ballpark guess...

Premium Features